Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

After D&C

Hello all, I recently had my D&C done about two weeks ago. I just had my follow-up today, and the doctor really didn't give me much information. She basically said that I will get my period in four weeks and then I can start to try. I didn't have any exam done today or anything like that. She just saw me for about 5 min. I thought that was strange. Has anyone else had a follow-up? I don't know if I was rushed today, and I don't know if trying that early is too soon??

Re: After D&C

• I am so sorry for your loss.

I had a natural mc both times, so I cannot answer your question. Check out the sticky posts at the top of this board for experiences some women have posted. There may also be others that respond here. For your question about trying again: it varies for everyone on what their dr advises. My OB told me to wait three cycles because I am recently off of BC.

Me: 31 DH: 36
    Dated Since ‘02, Married in ‘06
    BFP#1 05/16/06, EDD01/16/07, MC 06/12/06 at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 08/14/14, EDD 04/22/15, MC 09/17/14 at 9 weeks

My Chart

• With my follow up my doctor talked to me about when I can ttc again and when to expect my next period. She asked how I was doing and checked my beta levels. That was it.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• Loading the player...
  • At my follow-up they did an internal exam (basically like a pap smear/speculum kind of check without the testing).  

At a minimum they generally say you need to have a negative pregnancy test before you can start trying again.  Because if you get pregnant too soon they won't know initially if it's new or old tissue growing (old tissue growing back is a problem).  Before I found out I had complicating factors, they had said we could start trying after the negative pregnancy test (so basically could have been first factor).  For my own comfort I think I would have waited at least one cycle.

Me:36, DH:37

DS born 11/2012

BFP 7/26/14, Missed M/C at 8 weeks, discovered at 10 wks, 6 days, D&C 9/22/14, Dx: Partial molar pregnancy

• My follow ups have all been like that. Sometimes they did more blood work, but not always. And waiting one to three cycles (depending on the doctor and possible complications) is the standard timeframe given.

If you still have questions that you didn't get to ask definitely call them back. That's what they're there for. 
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • My follow-up included an internal exam (same thing @FigureSkater8 described) and my doctor recommended waiting 2 cycles before TTC. Like @KingLED said I have heard people say anywhere from 1-3 depending on the doc and your specific history.
    Married: 4/28/12
    BFP: 7/2/14 ;  1st US 7/21/14 Baby measuring 7w5d, HB of 138;  Discovered MMC 8/18/14 at 11w2d, baby measuring 8w5d, no hb ; 8/19/14 D&C

TTCAL December siggy challenge - Autocorrect Fails

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</My Chart

• I had my first D&C recently for a MMC. Had my follow up at 3 weeks post surgery. Dr. talked to me for about 5 minutes or less, did a quick feel inside and pressed down on my uterus to make sure there was no pain/no infection, said to wait 2 cycles. That was it.

Now my sister (who has 5 healthy kids, and experienced a few miscarriages) said not to bother waiting. Her fourth child was conceived 2 weeks after a D&C, she didn't even think she ovulated but apparently she did!

Now of course, do what you feel is right. If you want to wait a cycle or two, do it. My personal choice-DH and I aren't trying but we aren't preventing either. I only recently started temping again, and just took a HPT this morning to make sure its negative and everything is out of my system from last pregnancy. I'm 4 weeks post-surgery. Been bleeding for 3 weeks so I honestly cannot tell if I had a period in there. I had cramps at 2 different points but no change in the brown blood so eh. I think its finally tapering off, thank goodness. I believe most doctors like you to at least stop bleeding before trying again to prevent infection.

1st BFP 08/08/14 EDD 04/21/15 confirmed MMC 09/17/14 waited for natural m/c no luck, D&C 10/06/14
    2nd BFP 02/06/15 EDD 10/13/15
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Creativity knows no bounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"