February 2014 Moms
Options

SAHM check-in 10/28

I really look forward to Tuesdays.  I hope I'm not alone.

What were your successes this week?

What was your biggest challenge or struggle this week?

What helped save your sanity?

Topic for the week:  SAH & Being a role model.  How do you feel about SAH and an example it could set for LO?  Do you feel that it sends a positive message about putting family first?  Or do you worry about it teaching gender stereotypes?  (As we read each other's answers remember they are speaking for their family and not all of society or womakind.)

GTKY:   So as of a few weeks ago, network Saturday morning cartoons are gone :((    :((    What were some of your favorites as a kid?

Feel free to bring up any other thoughts, feelings, or concerns you are having.  

F'14 October Siggy Challenge: Animals in Costumes

Re: SAHM check-in 10/28

• Options

Everything is running pretty smoothly, just super busy.

ILs!  DH and I had planned to take a nice long walk to our favorite bar (smoke-free & surprisingly kid friendly) and back on Sunday.  ILs called Fri and were shocked and disappointed to learn we already had plans for Sat and insisted on seeing us Sunday.  Then when we were out, they got H to commit to plans next weekend for FILs Bday.  By the time we got home it was too late to walk or it would throw off LO's schedule because he's fall asleep on the way back.  I was super pissed.

I drove to the bar, DH walked LO and met me there.  Then we all came back in the car. Not only did I get my beer, I got 45 mins by myself to enjoy it and read my book while I waited for the boys. 

Topic for the week:  SAH & Being a role model.  How do you feel about SAH and an example it could set for LO?  

I worry a bit about the message this could send to a toddle/ pre-school aged LO.  Right now he's so young it's fine.  I will be going to back to work sometime before he is in 1st grade.  I hope the modeling of work/home responsibilities he will see for most of his life will make-up for anything early on.   I've also begun trying to use some more gender neutral terms: mostly "parents" vs. "mommies." 

GTKY:   So as of a few weeks ago, network Saturday morning cartoons are gone. What were some of your favorites as a kid?

When I heard this the first one I thought of was Ghostbusters.  I think this may have been a favorite for my brother and me.  I also remember TMNT as being a really big deal for us.  And not a cartoon, but Saved By The Bell was obviously the best show ever.

I don't remember them on Saturdays, so maybe they were weekdays, but Inspecter Gadget, He-Man, and Scooby Doo were my all time favorites.

• Options
    rexgirl06rexgirl06 member
    edited October 2014

@Meghan14- Glad you got some alone time before DH & baby met up. Sometimes that is the perfect medicine. Sorry things didn't work out with your IL's!

Made it through without eating any candy...until yesterday. :) Also managed to organize and put away some stuff in our bedroom finally so the room actually looks nice and put together not "recently moved into". I had to tell DH before he noticed but he was happy once he did. 

I also got a "job". Working election polls next week so I definitely won't be on here. I get $100...pretty pitiful pay for 2 hours of training and a 14 hour work day, but money is money!

LO still has stuffy/runny nose from teething. Which makes it hard for him to breathe, eat, and sleep some nights. (Last night was rough). 

Also his sleep schedule is totally screwed up since Saturday for multiple reasons. So he's been extra cranky by 7pm and bedtime is around 9/9:30...ergh! 

Gym time. It really is nice to get out and focus on me, and have a 1 hour break from LO. It helps the days go by fast. 

Topic for the week:  SAH & Being a role model.  How do you feel about SAH and an example it could set for LO?  

I think being a SAHM will hopefully portray to my son the values that we believe religiously (I'm a Mormon), in that the family is a crucial unit in society. I don't know that I'll never want to return to working, but if I got a job, I'd want one that allows me to be home when my kids are home from school. I hope my son (and any other kids) can see that we put family first, sacrificing my wants and financial gains for me to be home and hopefully nurture them and guide them as they learn as well. 

GTKY:   So as of a few weeks ago, network Saturday morning cartoons are gone     :((    What were some of your favorites as a kid?

We didn't have cable growing up. My dad was in and out of work- pretty much on welfare for the first 10 years of my life. But I did enjoy Mr. Rogers neighborhood and Sesame Street if that counts (90's stuff, not the old school or awful modern today stuff). 

*edit: spelling...typing too fast as naptime is closing I can feel it! :) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

What were your successes this week? Knowing when to say when and how to take care of myself; I feel like I'm doing better being in the moment with LO and really enjoying him without stressing out about housework, schedules, etc. 

What was your biggest challenge or struggle this week? Stomach flu. Two weeks ago was strep throat, then Friday I woke up with the flu. Thankfully Friday is LO's day at DC, but on Saturday, DH expected my help. By Sunday, I was better but still exhausted, but I was back to full duty. 

What helped save your sanity? Having my mom visit which coicided with a night DH worked late. 

Topic for the week:  SAH & Being a role model.  How do you feel about SAH and an example it could set for LO?  Do you feel that it sends a positive message about putting family first?  Or do you worry about it teaching gender stereotypes?  (As we read each other's answers remember they are speaking for their family and not all of society or womakind.) I haven't given this much thought. I think a lot of this will depend on DH's response/attitude to me being at home (even though I'm only home PT). If DH treats me being at home as something that is as important and vital to our family as his paycheck is, then I think our children will respect that. I think it will also teach LO how to approach his own family situation when he's a grown-up, whatever that may look like. I work really hard to make sure DH knows he's an equal parent. He'll occasionally say that he's "baby-sitting." I always, always, always correct him -- because he's not baby-sitting; he's parenting. I hope this will show our kids that mom isn't the only one who parents -- Dad has that job too. 

GTKY:   So as of a few weeks ago, network Saturday morning cartoons are gone     :((    What were some of your favorites as a kid? I don't remember watching many cartoons. We weren't allowed to watch that much TV, and we were only allowed to watch certain things, like Disney (which back then was a paid premium channel!). 

@meghan14 thanks for running this again!!

F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I had to go to the dentist twice this week, leaving LO with BF. Guess what? Everyone was fine! I didn't worry too much, and enjoyed myself. I think it's been good for BF too. And when I came home a little bit ago R greeted me with such amazing joy. Hugs and pats, and a big smile. He even burst out laughing and threw his arms around me. It was one of the sweets moments of my life. 

We are leaving for our RV adventure Saturday! So we're trying to get the RV packed, the house packed up so we can rent it out. And then the in laws came for two nights! But I did survive it all. 

Can I say Southern Comfort?

Topic for the week: SAH & Being a role model. How do you feel about SAH and an example it could set for LO? Do you feel that it sends a positive message about putting family first? Or do you worry about it teaching gender stereotypes? (As we read each other's answers remember they are speaking for their family and not all of society or womakind.) 

I think our home is a little differently, as we're both currently SAH. And soon to be SARV. I think both of us being at home now is great for bonding. We are both seeing R's first moments, etc. obviously he won't remember this time, but I'm hoping it'll be a lasting feeling. At this point we don't have plans for the future set in stone, but I think at some point we'll both be working full time. I'm thinking of going to evenings, so R is only in day care a couple hours a day. SAH is such a complicated thing, because if I go back to work it'll be for the money, not love of work.  So it'll be putting my family first, but differently. I think this is a tricky thing for every family to balance.

GTKY: So as of a few weeks ago, network Saturday morning cartoons are gone :(( What were some of your favorites as a kid? Feel free to bring up any other thoughts, feelings, or concerns you are having.
    I don't remember watching a lot of cartoons. More Saved by the Bell/Full House type stuff
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    @JoyBaby5 : First of all, the fact that you are young enough to have liked Barney makes me feel super old.
    I am so sorry ILs make you feel bad. They should not be talking behind your back or belittling your anxiety.  ((HUGS)). I am glad at least you understand who you are.  That's what is most important.  Go you for exercising!  

@rexgirl06 : Yay for getting the room put together.  And I am jealous of your job.  I've done voter registration, but that's volunteer.  I always assumed poll workers were as well.  The people at our polling place are always so enthusiastic and seem to be having so much fun, I've always wanted to do it.  Let us know how it goes.

@MadisonPenny : How are you doing?  I've been thinking of you even though I haven't been able to get on TB much.  I also wanted to see if you were still up for a movie discussion sometime.  Let me know if any on the list appeal to you. I'm happy you got a bit of a break and enjoyed the concert.  Sorry about having to de-stage the house, that sounds rough.

@carleys : I'm glad the trip went ok, so about ILs and having to turn back for supplies-ugh!  I tried to see everyone in a few days a while back too.  It's really hard to fit that in and keep a LO on some sort of schedule.Sorry you've been feeling emotional.  ((HUGS)).  I feel like my emotions/ hormones are still out of wack.  I've been back on the pill for 5 mos, but I still feel the occasional weepy. I forgot all about Thundercats!

@bookshelves : Congrats on survival.  (We also got our 1st tooth while on vacation with the ILs, and #2 while on vacation with my parents- not cool.)   I agree very much with your statement about LO seeing the working side of you.  As usual, you've articulated my thoughts.

• Options
    @ShellBell3845 : I am glad you are able to be in the momement with LO, I struggle with this.  I am so sorry you have been sick so much.  
    And now I'm jyust sitting here, nodding away at your insightful comments about how one spouse's attitude towards the other can shape a child's view.  wow man, wow.

@Misdemeanor : You enjoyed the dentist?!  I read the rest and got a little teary eyed at the idea of LO greeting you.  So sweet!  I've been MIA for a bit, I'd love to hear more about your upcoming adventure.  I hope you are able to check in.

@BMBrinson : congrats on closing!   Animaniacs, nice!

Darn! So close.  But it awakens.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"