Infertility

Calling those in healthcare, isolation precaution question

Ok so dealing with sick patients is part of my job. I do therapy in a nursing home, so we are accustomed to C-Diff, shingles, VRE and MRSA being the most prevalent.
So are you avoiding isolation rooms or just following universal precautions and hope that everyone else follows them too?
I ask because my boss (though she knows of our IVF) put a patient with C-Diff on my schedule.
Is it worth making a big deal over it?

Re: Calling those in healthcare, isolation precaution question

• I'm a dietitian and I'm in and out of multiple facilities every day. But as an RD, I'm not hands on like RN's or therapy.

IMO, it depends on the pt and I mostly follow universal precautions. If shingles, I don't go in because it's recommended that pregnant women don't. MRSA,VRE and Cdiff, universal precautions.

Hope that helps!

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

• If you are following the precaution protocols , I'd say don't worry. I took care of patients with all of those during stimms. When I did my transfers I was just more hyper vigilant about washing. I don't trust hand sanitizers so I'm a wash wash wash kinda girl.
    Me: 38
    DX:  Adenomyosis, Compounded MTHFR, PAI-1 4G variant

DH: 34
    MFI due to Testicular Cancer

Married March 2012 <3
    IVF w/ICSI #1
    10 little polar bears
    FET #1 with 2 polar bears ~Nov 6, 2013 BFN :(
    FET # 2 with 2 more polar bears ~March 19, 2014 BFP!!!
    Beta 1= 276
    Beta 2= 662
    4/19/14 ~ baby A became an angel
    5/02/14 ~ baby B became an angel
    5/3/14 ~ D&C
    FET #3 with 1 male polar bear ~October 3, 2014
    October 13, 2014 ~ BFN
    Fur Children:  Memphis 3y, Dutch 3y, Marcel 2y, Meadow 1y

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2015 Siggy Challenge TTCAL
    Animals Interacting with Snow

• Loading the player...
  • I'm a nurse... I'm going to just follow precautions and wear gloves with all meds (certain meds ie transplant can harm embryo/fetus). I think we'll be just fine!
    Me 27 I DH 29
    TTC since February 2013
    Me: Stage III Endometriosis, Lap '08 w/ Ablations
    DH: MFI

March - August 2014: IUI x4, BFN x3, CP x1

November IVF #1: w/ ICSI, last BCP 10/26, Agonist Protocol: Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide
    ER 11/14 13R;  11/15 13R, 8M, 8F w/ICSI 
    11/16: 3 perfect, 5 overachievers 
    11/17: 5 perfect, 3 slackers
    11/19: Transferred one perfect blast, 5 frosties
    12/3 beta: 996! 12/10 beta: 12,688

"Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe in the one reason why it will" 
  • @O2girl‌ I remember when I was at school for medical laboratory sciences, we conducted an experiment to see which method of hand washing was best. It turned those who had washed their hands with soap and water had MORE BACTERIA then they did BEFORE washing. Hand sanitizers got rid of the most bacteria. The hospital I work at actually recommends it over regular soap and water, unless of course your hands are visibly soiled.

@CML11‌ you shold just make sure you take the proper precautions (although I'm sure you always do:) ). And if you notice others not complying, say something to them or a supervisor. I don't mean tell them what you are doing, just that they should be doing it anyway!
    *** If you want to know where I (and soo many others) have gone, click here ***
  • @SweetieShellieH‌ sanitizer will not kill C-Diff spores and of course you cannot see them. Only hand washing with soap and water.

Even though I glove and gown, my shoes and the bottom half of my pants are not covered and could be collecting spores.
  • kristyn831kristyn831 member
    edited October 2014
    I'm an ICU nurse and I'll continue to care for those patients with MRSA, VRE, and C-diff.  I'm exempt from taking care of patients with shingles and chicken pox when pregnant.  In general, I always leave my work shoes in the back of my car and I don't wash scrubs at home, I exchange them at the hospital.

Also, should the situation arise, I will not take care of an Ebola patient.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• I don't really have the option not to care for patient's on isolation.  I follow the necessary precautions for each illness.  I know my pregnant co-workers still take care of the isolation patients as well.  The only exceptions are shingles and TB.
    Me 27 DH 29 Married since 2007, together since 2001
    Off BC since Febuary 2006 3 Clomid Cycles in 2008- symptomatic, US just showed a tilted uterus, otherwise normal, HSG normal.  DH has an ejaculatory duct obstruction and a congenital absence of the vas deferens.  This is common with cystic fibrosis carriers, but he doesn't have cystic fibrosis. IVF #1 with TESE/ICSI (Antagonist protocol) Aug 2014=BFN (poor embryo quality)   IVF #2 ICSI long lupron protocol November 2014
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"