June 2014 Moms
Options

Reading to LO

What are you reading to your LO's?
We have Goodnight Moon, The Hungry Caterpillar, Lil Monsters Time for a Hug, One Fish, Two Fish, & Green Eggs & Ham, but what are some other good books? I know at this age it really isnt about content so much as just being read to since they can't understand it, but eventually she'll know what we're saying so what are some other good books besides Dr. Seuss?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Reading to LO

• Options
    Seconding… anything by Sandra Boynton.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Brown Bear Brown Bear, I Love You Mommy/Daddy, Dear Zoo, and two bilingual books (I Love You Through and Through/Te Quiero Yo Te Quiero and I Like It When/Me Gusta Cuando).

DH is all about the languages so we're planning to get more bilingual books for LO here soon :)

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

• Options
    I third anything Sandra Boynton.  LO loves the rhythm of them.  We also read the Hungry Catepillar, Brown Bear Brown Bear, Is Your Mama A Llama.  I tried the Rainbow Fish, but he liked the pictures so much he kept grabbing them so I was worried we would destroy it.  Since then we've stuck to board books.  

I also want to read HP when he's older.  DH has only read the first few so it'll be fun to read together. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have a bunch of books on rotation, but it's honestly hard for me to find time to read to her because her "routine" already takes up every moment from when I step through the door after work until we put her to bed. I wish I had more than 2 hours with LO each day so we could read more. :( Sorry to AW right there lol! But I'm curious, when do you all read to your LOs? Is it always at bedtime or do you do something else?

• Options
    @babygabe614‌ - I read to him in the morning. It's a nice calm activity before my caffeine hits!

I love Little Blue Truck, too!

image        image

• Options
    Most of the books I read to her are in Spanish, but then I have Guess How Much I Love you and On the Night You Were Born, I bought this one after seeing recommendations from a few people here in the board and I love it, I read to her every night. We also have a little collection from Baby's First Disney books that my mom gave us, she loves looking at those and they are bilingual (English/ español).
    Married 05/15/13 FTM with EDD 06/24/14
  • Options
    We read Little Blue Truck nearly every night before I rock DS to sleep. I love it! I have a collection of vintage Golden Books that my uncle sent when I had DD2, so I plan to introduce them soon. Also got a set of hardcover Disney books at a yard sale when DD1 was little that she loved and we passed to DD2, so I'll probably grab those in the coming months as well. We love us some books!
  • Options
    Chicka chicka boom boom, on the night you were born, flip flap fly, how many kisses, ten little fingers and ten little toes are what we read to him at bedtime. He also sits through the books we read to C at naptime, so he can sit through longer picture books as well.

Sorry for the lack of capitalization in the titles, I'm tired and lazy :)

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options
    We read the Going To Bed Book by Sandra boynton every night! He loves it and knows it's his bedtime book. We also pick another one or two to read before that.
  • Options
    NFL Colors, 10 Little Monkeys (it has these little poky dot things and C loves the clicky noise they make), Very Hungry Catepilar. We need more books. Can't wait for Christmas books.
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • Options

NFL Colors, 10 Little Monkeys (it has these little poky dot things and C loves the clicky noise they make), Very Hungry Catepilar. We need more books. Can't wait for Christmas books.

We have the NFL alphabet book :)
  • Options
    @otter1103 have you tried the Omaha area swap sites on Facebook? I have purchased big lots of board books and others for around $5 before.  Obviously in a lot there will be some that you don't like as much, but since I only paid $5 I don't feel so bad about never really using them!  It seems like books are always for sale on those sites!  In fact, after reading how many more Sandra Boynton books there are on this post, I just sent out a message that I am in search of any of her books... not saying that I will get any, but it's worth a shot!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    fsumomfsumom member
    edited October 2014
    We have so many books thanks to big sis who's 8.  Some of my favorites are Goodnight Moon, My World, Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site, What's Wrong Little Pookie, Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, I Love You Through and Through.  Sandra Boynton is a great place to start!  Love pretty much anything of hers.
    ~Jessica~ 

• Options
    Right now his favorite is Brown Bear.  But I recently bought a bunch of high contrast books off of amazon and he absolutely looooooves those. 

• Options
    Anything by Sandra Boynton is good especially for very young babies. We also like the  If You Give  Series. I.e.  If You GIve a Mouse a Cookie.
  • Options
    On the Night You Were Born, and I Love You Stinky Face.  Love them.
  • Options
    We have a bunch of Bearnstein bears and Winnie the Pooh (bc thats what  I remember reading when I was a wee one:) We also went to Half Priced Books and got some of the Disney movies as books like Cinderella, Aladdin, 101 Dalmatians.  They're long full length movie books but have lots of bright cartoon pics and you can pick it back up and read it over a few days/week.

My favorite book that has been gifted to us in Pout Pout Fish, sooooo adorable :)

• Options
    If you've never read The Boss Baby by Marla Frazee, find it!! Funniest for M&D!

Also highly recommend author Mo Willems. Right now Go to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep is LO's favorite.

We can't read at night bc he gets wayyyyyy too excited. So reading is daytime fun for us!
  • Options
    We have about 5 books that get rotated. LO likes Peek-a-Boo Forest (the crinkly flaps attracts her attention) and Good Night Teddy (she makes out with the teddy). We also got Hungry Caterpillar, Dear Zoo and I Love You Stinky Face. DH is the one doing the bedtime routine which is bath, cuddled with me and kiss good night, story, bottle then in the crib.
  • Options
    @sarahs11 what is this omaha area swap that you speak of? I need this in my life!
  • Options
    E loves the little blue truck. We have a ton of books but read this one almost every night cause it makes him smile every time.
  • Options
    I passed down my childhood collection of Dr Seuss books to LO so we read a lot of that. She also likes Mo Willems (and I do too!)
  • Options
    I read The Runaway Bunny to my LO. It was my fav when I was little, and she notices the contrasting black and white illlustrations with the color ones (or at least she stares and turns her head...). I also like I love You Stinky Face, and DH loves Kisses for Daddy. 

I also love reading I Love You Little One. It makes me tear up. 

Being with my LO rocks! DD born 6/13/14.
  • Options
    @SarahS11, good thinking! Yhe swaps get hard to follow sometimes, SO MUCH STUFF!

@Ybba0714‌ are you also an Omaha mama?

• Options
    @Ybba0714 That's awesome!  I'll message you details!  By the way @otter1103 the swap site wins again!  I successfully got 2 Sandra Boynton books for $2! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    otter1103otter1103 member
    edited November 2014
    @‌Which swap site @SarahS11? I haven't seen books on the ones I'm on.

• Options
    @Ybba0714‌, well hello there! You will be #4 that we know of :-h
    Hopefully we can do a meet up sometime with everyone

• Options
    We read My first Bible, the toddler addition. It's really short stories and has a lot of illustrations. Of course he doesn't understand a thing, but he gets so giddy when he sees the pictures. We actually started reading it every night for his older sister, but he likes it more than she does.
  • Options
    flerlgirlflerlgirl member
    edited November 2014
    DS is obsessed with the touch and feel baby animal books, so that's what we usually read. I rarely read to DD alone (poor second child) but she likes it when we all read together.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    Hello all of you book reading mamas... I have recently found Sandra Boynton books for $3.99 each at Marshalls and T.J. Maxx... Marshalls had a ton of them!  I am in silly rhyming heaven!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @babygabe614 we have a short evening together too. Sometimes I read to him when he's on the floor on his tummy but I can usually squeeze a book in before bed too.

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    whoberry said:
    @babygabe614 we have a short evening together too. Sometimes I read to him when he's on the floor on his tummy but I can usually squeeze a book in before bed too.

Trapped in the box!

Last night we were able to squeeze a book in before her bedtime bottle and it was great! I hope this becomes something we can do more regularly. :)

• Options
    My LO really likes Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do Yo See? She tries to eat it. Lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"