January 2014 Moms
Options

Holiday tip for daycare?

FTM question: Do you give a bonus/tip for the holidays to your in-home daycare provider? Most people I know with nannies provide a holiday bonus, but I feel like the in-home provider is different, as she isn't our employee. Is a bonus customary for this type of daycare? If so, how much? DS currently goes part time, 3 days a week, and we pay $168 a week for it.

I feel I'm walking a fine line here because I don't want to be a cheapskate, but we are also struggling financially right now as I am out of work come January (which is right when we will also have a newborn, YAY), so I also need to try and be as frugal as possible. Ugh!
TWO Babies in 2014!
DS #1 Born 01/07/2014, DS #2 Born 12/17/2014

Re: Holiday tip for daycare?

• Options
    Oh now there's an idea I hadn't even thought about, just getting them Christmas presents instead of cash. It's a woman who does it in her home along with her adult daughter as an assistant, maybe I buy them each a gift and also bring a plate of homemade goodness? We actually do homemade apple butter and pumpkin bread each year to hand out to neighbors and stuff, so I probably already would have included them in that. Maybe I will also buy them each a little something as a gift as well. Good idea!
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    edited October 2014
    My mom does in home daycare and she usually gets gifts rather than cash bonuses. Some do gift cards, some give some type of baked good, some give her a new ornament for her tree or something else disney themed since she loves disney, and often she gets handmade gifts from the kids (which are always adorable). None of it is expected but she always appreciates it most when parents take the time to write her a Christmas card and tell her that the kids love to spend their days with her or something like that.

ETA: there are people who send nothing at all and that is okay too. Those kids don't get any less love from her :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ah, @km_md thank you so much for that insider perspective! That is much appreciated. DS is definitely too young for a craft project but maybe I'll do a little handprint in a homemade card for her to be "from" him, and then put together a treats basket and a Starbucks card. I actually love putting gift baskets together, so it will be fun.

Thanks ladies for the advice!
    TWO Babies in 2014!

• Options
    I'm glad it helped :)

Last year a bunch of parents got together and made a photo blanket of all of the kids for her. It is beautiful and such a great way to remember the year.

• Options
    @MissMeegs, your plan sounds great! 

I have been a nanny, daycare provider and teacher throughout the past 10 years.  I really appreciated the cards that had personal messages in them.  I worked really hard at my jobs and it was nice to hear that the students love my class, or circle time, or singing songs with me, that the parents appreciate all I do, etc.  Baked goods or gift cards were bonuses that I enjoyed, but not expected :) 
  • Options
    I think it is nice but not expected.  If you are not able to swing it financially, maybe just a handwritten note about how much you appreciate all they do.  I usually get the two women in our daycare each a $20 gift card to WAWA because I know they will use it.  They are the only people I work with that I get anything for and it address it to them from the kids, not me (our daycare in in my place of employment). 

• Options
    We use a center and I do a giftcard or small gift for the lead teachers and I bring in food for the office staff and helpers. I usually get cookies or cupcakes but I've done a sandwich platter from Jimmy John's and they loved that. I have friends that do cash and friends that do nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"