Babies on the Brain

24 years young with baby fever?

So I'm sure a lot of you ladies out there are my age, 24, and beginning to get baby fever. I have had it on and off for a couple years. My now hubs, are newly weds, just 3 months ago!!!, and it was fabulous and an amazing day! However we have been together for going on 6 years. Nothing has changed other than my last name, we have always had "the spark" as a lot of people like to call it.

The DH and I have discussed kids for a couple years, but have wanted to wait until we were married, and now I have decided my career, I'm halfway through my year long dental assisting program. I will graduate with my degree in May 2015. We have a steady income, typical bills, no debt or loans, a house and reliable cars and very supportive family and friends.

I do want to say that we have done our fair share of partying and we are both done and ready to settle down and get serious in our future together. We both agree that we are "ready" (as ready as anyone could be) to start TTC sometime early next year so that I would have graduated before getting to giantly-pregnant or delivering.

Does this seem crazy!? Do you think we are rushing? Is there ever a RIGHT time?? Haha

Re: 24 years young with baby fever?

• I am 24 as well. H and I just purchased our first home and are pretty stable. We are thinking about TTC starting in May-ish.

I don't think you are crazy as long as you have a plan for financially supporting another little life. :)

Good luck to you!
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

• I don't think you are crazy, I am 23 and have had baby fever for a while now! Waiting till next year is a really great idea you aren't rushing it at all. I seem's like you have really put a lot of thought into TTC.
    Baby Mama quotes

Married: 06/21/2014
    Fur Baby: Roy
    TTC since: February 2014

• Loading the player...
  • I am also 24 & will be TTC in June/July at age 25! (DH, however, will be 32)

Looks like you have most of your "boxes checked".

If you're okay with the idea that you may not have your first solid job before you start to show (or even before baby is born) I'd go for it. It took me 7 months post-grad to find my first full time gig ;) but if you're already on a stable income it doesn't sound like you're counting on that
  • Honestly, I don't think age should be a huge consideration for you.  My husband and I are both younger than 24, have stable jobs that push us into the top 10% of household earners because we entered highly paid fields, own a house, have no debt, and have traveled.  It happens, and if your ready, go for it!  I'm still wanting to travel a bit more personally, but for now I'm happy where I'm at!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think you are doing great in getting you and your husband in the right place for a baby. The only suggestion I have for you is to make sure you can finish school during your first or second trimester. Granted you get pregnant fairly fast, which can happen, but it can also take awhile. 

I had an extremely difficult 1st trimester and am in the middle of an even harder second. It's not about showing, it's about being constantly sick and exhausted. I don't think I would be able to finish school and look for a job while pregnant. I went to a year long Cosmetology program and had 3 girls get pregnant during school and each of them had to drop out because it was too much for them. Personally I would want to finish school and be in a job at least long enough to qualify for FMLA, if I plan on returning to work. Like PP said sometimes it can take a bit to find a job also. In the meantime enjoy being newlyweds, it may not seem like a lot has changed, but enjoy that time together because it will never just be the two of you again!

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am 23 now with crazy baby fever. We will be trying for a baby when I am 24 and H is 26.

I don't think age really matters as long as you are ready emotionally and financially. Finishing school would probably be a smart choice just in case you don't feel well while you are pregnant. Seems like you are in a good spot.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Thanks ladies!! We are stable, and we have talked about the stuff we will be "losing out on" when you have a baby, but we are more excited for the stuff you GAIN! And we are planning on waiting until I graduate or at least just a couple months before, I'm in a dental assisting program and its pretty strenuous and I don't want to be sick every morning going to school :)

But thank you all for the kind words and advice, it's a scary exciting thing planning to have kids, and it's so great to have others going through the same thing, or who have gone through it who have experience to share. So a huge thank you!!!!!!
  • I am 24, DH is 28. We are on month 2 of TTC. Sounds like you have your priorities right :)
    Married to LOML: 8/14/12

TTC #1: Oct. 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • not crazy at all- its so funny we are in the same boat here! haha im 24- just got married two months ago and we are trying for baby #1. I like the idea of being a younger mom. (as long as you have the necessary maturity level)
    Married 9/5/14
    Me:24/Hubbs:29
  • So I'm sure a lot of you ladies out there are my age, 24, and beginning to get baby fever. I have had it on and off for a couple years. My now hubs, are newly weds, just 3 months ago!!!, and it was fabulous and an amazing day! However we have been together for going on 6 years. Nothing has changed other than my last name, we have always had "the spark" as a lot of people like to call it.

The DH and I have discussed kids for a couple years, but have wanted to wait until we were married, and now I have decided my career, I'm halfway through my year long dental assisting program. I will graduate with my degree in May 2015. We have a steady income, typical bills, no debt or loans, a house and reliable cars and very supportive family and friends.

I do want to say that we have done our fair share of partying and we are both done and ready to settle down and get serious in our future together. We both agree that we are "ready" (as ready as anyone could be) to start TTC sometime early next year so that I would have graduated before getting to giantly-pregnant or delivering.

Does this seem crazy!? Do you think we are rushing? Is there ever a RIGHT time?? Haha

I'm a few years older than you but I was 26 when I got pregnant. I was also in school, but I graduated in December before I had my baby in February. It honestly worked out beautifully for me. You do need to take into consideration though that not all pregnancies run smoothly. It was a lot to juggle. I had a fairly textbook pregnancy but I was tired and sick almost the whole time. It made night classes really hard to attend. If it's what you want to do, go for it. Just know that it's not going to be an easy endeavor.
  • I'm on this board by accident (Bump hiccup) but just want to say, as a 35 yr old mama of 3 (with fertility issues and 2 miscarriages):
    If you are married, one of you has a somewhat stable form of income, and you BOTH feel ready for a baby? Do it. Especially if you want a few kiddos.
    Just do some real life research to make sure you know what you are getting into. If you want a baby because they are so cute? Not ready! If you want to grow your family and are willing to give up all your rights (sleep, flat belly, abililty to be spontaneously go out or take a shower) because you know all the sacrifices are incredibly hard but incredibly worth it? Then you're ready. Hope this helps!
  • I'm 23 and have major baby fever! It's even harder with family pressure and several friends pregnant/had babies recently. I think your plan of early next year would be good just realize it will be difficult especially if you decide to work full time after the baby is born. We have waited longer because I want to work part time afterwards and had to get our finances to the point where that was possible. We are planning to start TTC in Feb 2015 and will have been married 4 years and I will have been working full time in my field for 3.5 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"