March 2014 Moms
Options

Bad Diaper Rash - HELP!

Baby girl has had bad rash for a couple days. We think it's because she poops so much - 10 times today! We've been using Desitin and regular A&D. Not long after we change her and apply ointment, she has pooped and we have to change her again, not giving the ointment enough time to work. We've used a lukewarm washcloth instead of wipes sometimes. What have YOU done with bad rash?  

Re: Bad Diaper Rash - HELP!

• Options
    Warm wet washcloth instead of wipes EVERY time. Leave open to air 10-15 minutes every diaper change. Thick thick layers of diaper cream with corn starch over it. Don't wipe every speck off, just whats soiled and reapply right over. Soak in plain water at night, let air dry really well, and start all over again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Don't wipe off all the ointment every change would be my first tip.

How long? (Edit: saw couple days)
    What color?
    Bumps? (Color size)

Is my questions.

^^ All of that.
    Also, completely dry (air dry if possible).
    Bath with baking soda may help.
    Has she been eating something new?
    Something to cause frequent poops?
    Lots of fruit?
    Change what LO is eating or avoid the food you thing caused the excessive poops.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Harper had a bad rash a week ago and nothing was working. I tried this stuff by Dr. Smith's and her rash was almost gone the next day.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    Don't wipe off all the ointment every change would be my first tip. How long? (Edit: saw couple days) What color? Bumps? (Color size) Is my questions.
    ^^ All of that. Also, completely dry (air dry if possible). Bath with baking soda may help. Has she been eating something new? Something to cause frequent poops? Lots of fruit? Change what LO is eating or avoid the food you thing caused the excessive poops.

Color: Pretty red. And goes from Labia to bottom butt cheeks.

Bumps: No bumps

Eating new: No, nothing real new. Been the same basics, peas were the recent newest but that was 2 weeks ago and she doesn't even have them that much.

Fruit: She has an even amount of bananas, pears, and apples. I suggested to hubby that we should cease solids until this clears up.

Thank you for the tips

• Options

babycaps said:
    Also, are there any white bumps anywhere?  

No. What do white bumps mean?

• Options
    nlane0723 said:
    Harper had a bad rash a week ago and nothing was working. I tried this stuff by Dr. Smith's and her rash was almost gone the next day.
    Never heard of Dr. Smith's. Is this at supermarket?/CVS?
  • Options
    HKline922 said:

nlane0723 said:

I have no idea. I got it in the mail. Pic of tube is below.image

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    10 times today??? Diarrhea?
    It's not diarrhea consistency. It's quite solid. My theory is pears and apples every day so I'm going to cut back.
  • Options
    babycaps said:
    White bumps usually indicate yeast but no bumps are a good sign.
    Really do be careful about applying the ointment VERY thick.  She's probably also teething which is sometimes accompanied by a bad rash.  What does she drink?  Breastmilk or Formula?
    If formula, you could try a different brand.  
    I know there is a recommendation for corn starch up above, but I would recommend staying away from ANY other powder and be very careful with corn startch around the urethra.  

She's been drinking Enfamil A.R. for months now. We switched formula 2 weeks ago to save a few bucks and she didn't sleep. Went back to the A.R.

I will first try the airing out. And applying thick ointment. Not going to try cornstarch unless this persists. Thanks so much for your help! Sorry I didn't search. I'm not on here that often.

• Options
    nlane0723 said:
    nlane0723 said:
    I have no idea. I got it in the mail. Pic of tube is below.image
    Thanks! Pics are always helpful :-)
  • Options
    @HKline922‌
    Yes, I'd avoid the apples and pears. At least until it clears up.

Again, air dry, lots of cream and no harsh wiping.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    My daughter had a really bad case a few months ago. We made the homemade wipes and used extra strength butt paste every change. Also, we put Mallox on her and let it air dry before covering with the butt paste and aquafor and it helped. Took 2-3 days to clear up as the skin was really raw.
  • Options
    I found that putting some mineral oil on the baby wipes you use when you wipe them reduces the friction on their behind. It helped soothe my LO's booty last time it was raw.
  • Options
    We use a magic combination of Antacid liquid, the yeast cream, and thick diaper cream. My DS1 who is quite fair and has food sensitivities goes from zero to full blown painful yeast rash. This combination works immediately - and clears itself up within a day or two. 

I use diaper cream barrier though with every change. I hate having my babies in pain so I do it as a precautionary step.  
    Domesticated: 1 Hubs; 2 sons; 3 cats; & Broke

• Options
    If it is a bug my doctor told us to try a lactose free formula for one or two cans to help the poos slow down which will them give the nappy rash a chance to heal. If then when you go back to the regular formula and all the symptoms start again get her tested for lactose intolerance. Sorry you are going through this! It might be just sensitive skin or something but I thought this could help.
  • Options
    @HKline922 how's the rash doing? My son's is starting to look better....
    Domesticated: 1 Hubs; 2 sons; 3 cats; & Broke

• Options
    It's getting better! Was able to give her a bath last night without having to stand her up and her screaming. We are still keeping dry and gobbing on the ointment. She also didn't poop as much yesterday. I just hope we catch the next one before it gets so bad.
  • Options
    I made a paste with desitin, aquaphor, and neosporin. It worked great. Better than the stuff for yeast IMO.
  • Options
    A has a horrible diaper rash too. I took her last Thursday to pediatrician bc she has blisters that started on butt, and now moving forward. He told me it was yeast, but the nystatin is NOT doing anything. I even tried making the so called miracle butt cream, and nothing. Calling pediatrician again in the morning. This is sooooo frustrating. A doesn't seem to be in pain, but it looks horrible.
  • Options
    We did 5 days of 3 applications with desitin used for all other changes... Then mixed the nystatin with desitin and maalox. Done that since Tuesday. We use Huggies bc A had allergic reaction to pampers.
  • Options
    That is crazy.... That's what the doc told us to do. So no desitin... I'll try anything for her poor butt!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"