Working Moms

nwmr...about neighborhood 'boo'ing

what do you do if you get a little bag of treats but no note and no sign to put on the door...i have zero idea if I am supposed to pass this on (and add a note?) or if I should be putting something on my door or what... I have to take a quick spin around the neighborhood to see if other people have signs on the doors, I haven't noticed but maybe the person just forgot to put the sign thing in there...
wwyd?

Re: nwmr...about neighborhood 'boo'ing

• I have no idea what boo-ing even is..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just had to google neighborhood boo.  I would be so pissed if one of my neighbors did this to me.  

Maybe that's what makes it fun? There are certain people whose faces I would love to see when they get this. 

• Loading the player...
  • I think in theory it is a fun idea but in reality it could lead to hurt feelings and also is kind of a PITA to turn around in one day..in the past the couple of times I have gotten one I passed on the same treats I received but this time the kids saw it & wanted to eat some of them... argh.
  • groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited October 2014
    LOL...not to defend the booing but I got booed in like 2006 or 2007 in a previous neighborhood so not a pinterest thing, I think it has been around awhile ;) BUT I bet pinterest is ramping it up for sure...
  • Oh wow-they do this at my work, I had no idea it was a neighborhood thing.

At work there is a sign and you leave candy/whatever on someone's desk.

Now that I know it's a neighborhood thing I can't believe ours doesn't-we have a very active women's club and there are some real pinteresty/crafty ladies. It seems like it'd be right up their alley. If I knew the neighborhood was doing it, I would participate. If it was just an anonymous neighbor doing a maverick boo, I would not.

\image  image

• Confession: I love booing.  I think it's fun and sweet and helps get kids excited about giving instead of getting. 

(And yes, booing predates pinterest, but I think there is near-total overlap between people who like pinterest and people who like booing so I get the mental connection). 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hmm, interesting. Re your OP, if I just got a bag of treats, I wouldn't assume you've been "boo'd".. Just that you have a nice friend/neighbor. I wouldn't do anything.

This reminds me of the pay it forward Starbucks thing.. Except not the voluntary type, but the tacky "would you like to pay for the car behind you " type. No thanks.

• Ug. We just got boo-ed last night. I saw the signs up on houses in my neighborhood and knew it was coming. It's fun and great but the one-day turn around is not going to happen in this house. In fact, that wouldn't happen at all unless it was magically delivered right before my weekly target trip AND my goldfish brain remembered to get something. Since it seems like most houses are already done anyway I'm going to not feel guilty not boo-ing anyone else, I just simply don't have time!
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• I guess I'm in the minority but I think it's so cute and my DS was so excited about it. If others in your neighborhood have signs up, I would print one out and do it to someone else because then clearly they forgot and even if they didn't , who cares no one will know. If no one else has it then just leave it alone. I think it's a fun thing for little ones to participate in though- it makes them happy , and that's the best thing to see !
  • VORVOR member
    The past 3 years, we've been boo'ed.  So far, nothing this year.  I"m kind of hoping that means no one started it this year.  It's cute in theory, but when it happens - I have to run out and buy shit and make copies, etc.  That side of it is annoying.
  • This just happened to us last night. Made me think how friendly our neighborhood is. I'm going to use the same bag of treats because I just don't have time to put something else together
  • I totally forgot to get Boo gear last year in the clearance sales and I don't have spare wine laying around right now. I see no signs this year, either. So I am hopeful we do not get this - DH is out of town, DS needs a haircut and DD has a friend collaborating on a project in the afternoon two nights this week.  I think it's precious and it's the only time my kids get to ring a doorbell and run - they loooove it.  The kids ask about it 95.2 times a day, so I promised them I will take them to Target after Halloween and they can buy things for next year (upside: they are spending their own money on it).
  • Oh good lord. Waaaay too much time on their hands.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • beaubecca said:
    I think it's fun in theory but sounds like it could turn into a popularity competition soon enough. But I thought you were supposed to create the sign to put up? If you want to participate I'd put a sign up and pass it on. If you don't, then leave it alone and do nothing.
    No- normally it comes w/ 'instructions' in the form of a poem or something telling the recipient to copy it & put it in the next person's bag & to hang one on your door/window...
  • I'm not sure that I feel good about anonymous food.  8-X
    One boy (11.26.12) and one girl (2.28.14)
  • Yeah, this wouldn't work for us because of my daughter's food allergies.

Also, I'm anti-social.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"