December 2014 Moms

GD check-in 10/27

Our weekly thread to discuss issues with other moms, share recipes, complain about pricking your fingers, or worry about blood glucose levels. 

I'm linking the previous threads here, because we discuss a lot of issues that new people may want to peruse, plus, RECIPES!

Basic Diet Info Most of Us Are Following
Disclaimer: this is for informational purposes only. We are Internet strangers, not your doctor or nutritionist. Please use this information only as a guideline for what many of us are doing for our diets while managing GD. Your specific eating plan/dietary needs may differ.

Eating schedule:
  • Breakfast: 15-30g carbs, 1-2oz protein (no fruit before lunch)
  • Morning Snack: 15g carbs, 1-2oz protein (no fruit before lunch)
  • Lunch: 45-60g carbs, 3-4oz protein
  • Afternoon Snack: 30g carbs, 2oz protein
  • Dinner: 45-60g carbs, 3-4oz protein
  • Bedtime Snack (eat within an hour of bedtime): 30g carbs, 2oz protein
Carbs to count toward meal allotment: 
  • all grains
  • all fruit
  • corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, peas, carrots and beets over 1/2 cup
  • milk, yogurt, ice cream, cottage/ricotta cheese
  • all sweeteners (honey, agave, sugar, maple syrup)
Serving sizes:
Generally 1/2 c of grains, veg, and fruit = 15g carbs
Exceptions to equal 15g carbs: 
  • 1 c dairy
  • 1/3 c rice
  • 1 c berries
  • 1 c cut melon
  • 1 med/fist-sized uncut fruit (apples, oranges, peaches, pears, etc)
  • 15 grapes

1. How far along are you?

2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week?

3. How are you feeling in general?

4. Any issues with your numbers, meds, or food intake?

GTKY: How are you going to handle Halloween candy and treats this week? Mwahhh!
BabyFruit Ticker       
DD1 - 8 years
DD2 - 6 years
BFP3 - 3/31/14, Harmony Test 6/5/14 - It's a BOY!

Re: GD check-in 10/27

• 1. How far along are you?
    33w6d
    2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week?
    I had my 34 week regular OB appointment this morning, and baby looks great. I get my GBS test next week, then at 36 weeks I'm being handed off to the OB group that contracts out with my doctor's practice because my OB is out on medical leave and the sub OB isn't delivering any of his patients. Yay, doctor #4 for the pregnancy! I have my third weekly NST/BPP appointment at the MFM on Thursday.
    I'm good, just super tired. DD1's birthday was yesterday, so it was a whole weekend of partying for the 8 year-old. :)
    I think Baby Q had been going through a growth spurt, because I slept a LOT over the weekend and my numbers were too high/on the high side. In the past, that has correlated to a hormone surge, which means baby is growing. So far so good today, though.
    Halloween candy is my downfall. I've snuck a piece here and there (and had a couple too high numbers as a result, I'm sure), so I'm just going to have to figure out how to stay away. Couple Halloween with DD1's birthday, and it's a week of sugar in our house. SO BAD for the GD mom. With DD1, I delivered her five days before Halloween so I got to eat some, and with DD2, I got pregnant with her in October, so no sugar worries then. This just sucks.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

32 weeks

Nothing new here. 32 week appointment with OB but no ultrasounds or stress tests until next week. Curious to see the weight difference for LO since diagnosis 3 weeks ago! 

Feeling pretty good. Had a slight headache for a couple days after starting glyburide, but that has passed and not sure it was even related. 

Numbers were out of whack on Saturday because I slept until 10am and had a high fasting number!! The whole day was just off from there. Back on track again yesterday and today though, so not sure what the deal was. I also need some more evening snack ideas! What is everyone eating for that before bedtime snack?

I'm SO lucky that this is my first so we don't have to deal with any candy entering the house unless I bring it in. I've been surprisingly good with not wanting any either. Maybe the whole "two weeks to break a habit" thing is true. Before diagnosis I literally did not go a single day without at least one piece of candy. Even before pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @lionyloo32 For my bedtime snack, I generally have something a little sweet with some milk. Before I was GF I ate three graham cracker squares (1 1/2 of the rectangles) with a small glass of milk. Now, since the only GF graham crackers are SO sweet, I generally find something similar. The scones I've been making, a couple of GF pancakes we have frozen, something with a bit of sweet or chocolate to give me some end of the day satisfaction.

My afternoon snacks are generally fruit with cheese or almond butter, and that would work for a bedtime snack too. I just prefer something a little more comforting at night.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• Thanks @bowlwoman! I will need to look into the carb count on pancakes! Yum that would make a great bedtime snack. :) 

I have been having a cup of tea (with milk) with one biscotti or a glass of milk and a cheese stick OR hot chocolate and a tablespoon of peanut butter. 

Oh, was also going to tell you ladies to try the VitaTops you get in the frozen breakfast section. I have one for my mid-morning snack. They have chocolate peanut butter, double chocolate, banana, and blueberry. Nice to have a warm, cake-like snack with some decaf coffee or tea! 
  • devinefischdevinefisch member
    edited October 2014
    1. How far along are you? 34 weeks

2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week? Follow-up appt  with the dietician to check my numbers. Last week my OB said they looked fine though, no need for meds.

3. How are you feeling in general? Like shit. I hate being pregnant and I'm so ready for this to be over. Don't get me wrong I'm stoked to be having our little man and can't wait until he gets here also. Really though, pregnancy blows.

4. Any issues with your numbers, meds, or food intake? Still trying to figure out how to add a little variety. I'm always paranoid something new is gonna screw with my numbers.

GTKY: How are you going to handle Halloween candy and treats this week? Mwahhh! Sweets leave a bad taste in my mouth for some reason so crossing my fingers I won't have too many issues. Or maybe I'll let myself splurge just a little. Break a fun size bar into twelve pieces or something and eat a little at a time!

Also, bed time snack is usually graham crackers w/ almond butter or cheese slices with a low carb tortilla.
  • Hi ladies.  This is my first week on the GD diet - met with the nutritionist last week.

1. How far along are you? 31 weeks
    2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week?  First MFM appointment for GD monitoring on Friday.  OB says I'm measuring on track so far in terms of fundal length, but we haven't done a growth scan since the dx.  That'll be on Friday.
    3. How are you feeling in general?  I feel like this diet requires a lot of carbs that I wouldn't normally eat at meal time; as a result I've been feeling too full and sometimes tired after eating, particularly at lunch.  Also, I tend to "graze" so waiting the two hours to test after meals is often a challenge.  Getting the hang of it, though.

4. Any issues with your numbers, meds, or food intake?  Numbers have been good so far & no meds.  My nutritionist isn't requiring the snacks (said they were optional), thank goodness.  I try to just eat when I'm hungry.  I was pretty shocked yesterday that my lunch numbers weren't bad since I ate cake at my baby shower.  Not sure what's up with that; it would have been better to keep me more disciplined if I saw a failing number there.
    GTKY: How are you going to handle Halloween candy and treats this week? Mwahhh!  I'm a sugar lover so this will be hard.  Initially, I was excited b/c we weren't going to be home that night and so we didn't have to buy candy for the neighborhood kids.  Plans fell through and we'll be home, which means I'll be buying candy.  My approach is to buy smaller bags so that we don't have too many leftovers and can return the bags we don't open; some years our neighborhood gets 150+ kids, sometimes just a couple dozen so it's hard to gauge how much to buy.  I'm also waiting until Wednesday to purchase so there's no candy sitting out in the house.  Of course, the leftover cake from my baby shower is sitting in the fridge which poses an equally difficult challenge for the beginning of the week....
    BFP#1 - M/C on 12/23/13
    ~*~*~December 2014 PGaL ~*~*~
    Rainbow baby born on 12/19/2014

• edited October 2014
    1. How far along are you? 33weeks today!!! 6-7 to go YAY! 2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week? Nothing this week my OB was happy with my number I emailed her and said I could cancel my appointment this week 3. How are you feeling in general? MEH, I am dealing with alot of just being exhausted. When I got off work yesturday DH suggested we go walk because it was so nice out and the treees look amazing but I just have no energy even after working only 4 hours. No clue how I am going to survive November. This may also be in part to developing horrible back pain-I've been lucky most of pregnancy to not have this issue so now sleeping is very difficult. Ok rant over! 4. Any issues with your numbers, meds, or food intake? Last week my number weren't as good as they had been I had been out on babymoon with DH and didn't really pay much attention to what was going in my mouth and it seems to have taken 3-4 after for my body to adjust from that. Been looking good since late last week though. GTKY: How are you going to handle Halloween candy and treats this week? Mwahhh I've learned that I can splurge in the evenings and will still have a sugar under 100 fasting in the AM so I allow myself a moderate size splurge almost nightly with some added protien. Sorry for poor format my comp hates me

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited October 2014

Hi GD ladies,

I'm 34+2 today, and feeling fine. My numbers have been great the past week, I think I'm getting this diet down. I had my lowest fasting number in a long time this morning at 80, so that was exciting. The nurse last friday suggested trying to cut milk out of my bedtime snack, even though I was having only 4oz, and so far it seems to have worked. I now try to have it earlier in the day.

Along the lines of the GTKY- one thing I'm curious about is if you ladies have a "sweet treat" every day. I definitely have a sweet tooth, but not in large quantities. Even pre-GD, I'd order dessert with every meal, but only have a few bites. I'd always need to have a piece of chocolate or 2 after lunch. I will admit, I have NOT cut that out of my diet. I will still have a piece of See's chocolate after lunch, and maybe 1/3 of a mini so delicious coconut milk chocolate bar after dinner (around 5 carbs). I'm able to control the portion, not so much the craving. As long as my numbers are fine...I personally don't see a problem with that. However, my dietitian highly frowned upon the frequency in my mini-indulgences. At the same time, she said it was fine to have a whole ice cream bar (they examples of things you can eat, and this breyers's no sugar added  ice cream bar with fake sweeteners was one of the things in the office) once a week as a snack, and another one was some TJ's dark chocolate bar with fake sugar. Personally, I'd rather eat less of the REAL thing, rather than an entire bar of the fake sweetened stuff. I find it hard to believe that all the GD ladies go days at time without eating ANY chocolate at all? Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I just have lack of self-control, so I was curious what you ladies are doing. :)

Edited - typos. 

- ticker/siggy warning -

ivf #1 (MFI): 18 retrieved, 16 fertilized 
         bfp: 8dp3dt, beta #1 10dp3dt: 103, beta #2 14dp3dt 637, EDD: 12.06.14! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @bayareagirl2011 I had to cut out the chocolate after eating it three times increased my number each time!! Nutritionist told me to stay away. The only "chocolate" I've had since is the pumpkin spice Hershey kisses - 4 total at a time - and that's not really chocolate. 
  • @bayareagirl2011 I usually have a sweet treat everynight. I do it then because it doesn't seem to alter my fasting numbers, but this isn't true for all. I feel I do myself for harm if I tell myself "I can't" have any for me its all about moderation and just being smart about choices.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • paigep8paigep8 member
    edited October 2014
    32 weeks and 2 days
    I have my regular OB appointment on Wednesday.
    I have been really tired.  I am not used to feeling tired or not 100%, so it freaks me out and spikes my anxiety.  I emailed my OB and she said it is normal to be tired in the 3rd tri and from all of your posts, it doesn't look like I am alone in the exhaustion.  Just weird to sleep 10 hours a night and wake up tired and be tired in the afternoons, etc, etc.  I am also starting to get some anxiety thinking about labor.  This is my first, so all of this is so new.

Since I have been so tired, I am thinking that our little man has been going through a growth spurt.  I have also been really hungry the past few days, which hasn't really been the case for the first two weeks of being on this diet.  My numbers have been really low.  I have had a couple 2 hours after breakfast readings in the 60s and had a huge cupcake at my shower (doctor said I could cheat for my shower :-)) and did my blood two hours later "for fun" and my numbers were under 120.  My numbers today have all been really low too, so I have NO idea what is going on???  Any ladies have experience with numbers being lower when you are sticking to the same diet and same eating times, etc?
    In regards to the sweet treat, I have been treating myself to a Talenti raspberry gelato with dark chocolate popsicle for my evening treat.  My fasting numbers are 80 or below and it really gives me something to look forward to.  They are seriously delicious, so I recommend giving those a try if you are looking for a sweet treat.  I am going to check out the VitaTops too!  Those are really yummy when you warm them up.
    We are almost there ladies...

• 1. How far along are you? 33w1d - freaking out at how quickly the end will be upon us! Life is really entrusting a baby human to me?!

2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week? last of my 2-week OB check-ups this week.  Then next week I start twice weekly NST's, one day at MFM, which will also include an U/S, and then my weekly OB will include the 2nd NST.  Very time consuming, and I know my boss is annoyed, but hey, if I gotta see the doc, I gotta see the doc.  

3. How are you feeling in general? Tired and crabby!  Who knew growing a person was this exhausting.  But overall I can't really complain knowing some of the other aches & pains others are dealing with.  

4. Any issues with your numbers, meds, or food intake?  I mentioned this earlier in last weeks post too - moving my glyburide from bedtime to dinner, and then might increase the dose if taking the med earlier starts making my fasting AM number rise....  I had a few high after dinner numbers last week, but I can easily pin-point why they were high, and they were totally worth it! :)

GTKY: How are you going to handle Halloween candy and treats this week? Mwahhh! SNICKERS!!  I'm 100% convinced the protein in the peanuts will help counter-balance the sugar.  And then I am keeping some mini-butterfingers and Kit-Kats set aside to be eaten in the L&D recovery room :)  I have found the snickers ice-cream bars do OK for an evening snack on occassion.  

And have you guys seen this in your cereal aisle? 
    Seriously my new addiction - I can manage one cup of cereal with unsweetened vanilla almond milk for either a snack or breakfast, still get OK numbers, and cure a chocolate fix!

• Thanks ladies...I felt like she was being judgmental and making me feel bad for not controlling my cravings. This is already really hard, I honestly couldn't imagine cutting out a little something sweet to look forward to every day between the same ole meals over and over again. I'm doing everything I can to control my sugars for this baby's health, and if my numbers were high after eating (I've tested both 1 and 2 hours after to be extra sure) then the guilt would definitely cause me to cut it out, but it seems a bit harsh for her to guilt trip me when my numbers are fine. She requests that I be under 135 for my 1 hour reading and I already set a stricter standard of being under 120 for my 1 hour reading. I stopped writing my 1/3 of a ice cream bar down in my food diary, LOL!  
                                         - ticker/siggy warning -

ivf #1 (MFI): 18 retrieved, 16 fertilized 
         bfp: 8dp3dt, beta #1 10dp3dt: 103, beta #2 14dp3dt 637, EDD: 12.06.14! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi
    I'm 34 weeks and 2 days along. Have had great numbers since dx even with a sweet treat now and then. Went to my 33 week appointment and saw a different md in the practice. She now has me doing weekly nst and a growth ultra sound this coming week. The md I had been seeing never mentioned anything about the extra tests and seemed very positive about my controlled GD and not needing any extra studies. I will be attempting a vbac if all goes as planned. But just wondering if anyone else's md has started this protocol
  • Cmedan said:
    Hi I'm 34 weeks and 2 days along. Have had great numbers since dx even with a sweet treat now and then. Went to my 33 week appointment and saw a different md in the practice. She now has me doing weekly nst and a growth ultra sound this coming week. The md I had been seeing never mentioned anything about the extra tests and seemed very positive about my controlled GD and not needing any extra studies. I will be attempting a vbac if all goes as planned. But just wondering if anyone else's md has started this protocol
    Yup - there are many on here that now are starting weekly (or even twice weekly if on meds) NSTs and Ultrasounds.  Its all just to make sure Baby isn't getting too big and staying nice and healthy in there.  

I can also relate to different MDs in the practice having a different...outlook? (for lack of a better term).  One doc at the MFM practice I see in addition to my OB (who I really, really like) said that even though I am on meds, he didn't think I needed twice weekly NSTs because in the grand scheme of things, my numbers aren't that bad.  His one partner practices a bit more conservatively, hence the change in meds, and frantic phone call last week about why I didn't have any of my NST's scheduled yet.  

• 1. How far along are you?  33w1d

2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week?  First NST last Thursday.  Passed with no problem.  I have to go to the hospital for NSTs and I was so excited while I was there that I was also registering to deliver there.  They only have a level 3 NICU so I was holding off until I reached 32 weeks to register.  Before 32 weeks, I would have gone to the other local hospital that has a level 4 NICU.  So happy to know I can deliver at my preferred hospital! 

Today I had a BPP without a growth scan.  Thank goodness I didn't have to have the stress of a growth scan again.  BPP went fine although LO was very lazy.  Baby has the fullest little cheeks and hair on his/her head.  I can't wait to meet him/her!

3. How are you feeling in general?  Great!  I even over did it on Saturday by trimming our front hedges.  I paid for Saturday evening when I could barely move but all was well again by Sunday.  Baby is head down (for now) so with every contraction it's feet are pushed up into my ribs.  That's honestly my biggest complaint right now. 

4. Any issues with your numbers, meds, or food intake?  Nothing out of the ordinary.

GTKY: How are you going to handle Halloween candy and treats this week? Mwahhh!  I want Skittles all of the time.  But after being on the diet for so long, I definitely have the self control to resist.  I also give up candy every year for Lent so I'm used to abstaining from candy....but cake, ice cream, etc. are all fair game in moderation.  Although I did buy TONS of candy I like and am hoping to have leftovers for after the baby's born :)

I have been drinking milk as a bedtime snack.  I just don't find myself very hungry at night (partially due to the baby growing reducing my stomach's capacity).  I am definitely starving in the morning though and eat three times before lunch.  And if I miss my milk snack, my fasting numbers are higher so I know I need to eat/drink something at bedtime.

I personally think it's better to eat controlled portions of the real deal than a full portion of the diet/artificial stuff.  I can't believe any nutritionists advocates that stuff!  Sometimes I think nutritionists need to be reminded that we are pregnant with diabetes.  We don't need to be on the same "heart healthy" diet I'm sure many of there other patients are on.  I personally don't need to limit fat or cholesterol in my diet.  I just need to control my sugars. 

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

31 days this Wednesday

Nope. I had my regular appointment last week and he said my numbers were great. I'll go back next week. So far I haven't been referred to any additional specialists and have not been told that I will need any additional monitoring.

Tired. Ready to be not pregnant but still hoping to cook baby as long as possible.

I'm not sure if it is the limited options on this diet or what, but I have had absolutely no appetite. I pretty much force feed myself a lot. Picked up some different stuff at the store yesterday and started venturing out to restaurants for lunch instead of bringing my perfectly-portioned homemade lunch. Hoping this helps!

With deep remorse. DH hid the Halloween candy from me so I wouldn't have to stare at it all week. Accidentally found it this morning and wanted to cry.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @bayareagirl2011‌ I indulge occasionally. My nutritionist said that testing so much is part of that, to determine what your body can handle. I have a small sweet treat usually once a day, and my baby is at the 50th percentile and my sugars are almost always good. I have more problems eating food containing rice than I do a bit of chocolate once a day.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

34 weeks wednesday
    Had first nst went great git told our little guy is textbook. We have a sono next week for a weight.
    Pretty good. Sugars are under control with diet so just have to keep up the work.
    I splurged a bit today will see the effect tomorrow.
  • Question: where do you inject your insulin?

• 1. How far along are you? 31 weeks and 1 day

2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week? I have an appointment on Thursday with my second NST so we shall see how it goes.

3. How are you feeling in general? Pretty good for the most part on my levels with diet just tired from work mostly and breakfast makes me feel blah when I know my levels are over.

Breakfast seems to be my occasionally downfall since I'm still getting use to the diet and also reading all the labels still. Such a life adjustment :/ however I'm so happy that I found carbsmart Chocolate ice cream and I'm pretty happy now that I can have a little sugar in my life.

32w5d

I had an ultrasound last Thursday.  She was measuring at 4lbs 4oz which put her in the 60th percentile.  Apparently, she has her father's big head.  I went over my numbers with the dr and he seemed pleased with them.  He said there's absolutely no need for any medication at this point since my numbers are always where they are supposed to be except when I purposely indulge which I document.  I also report my numbers to the Diabetes Center at the hospital I'm delivering at.  He said at this point I don't need to go to the MFM or anything.  

In general, I feel fine.  As soon as I hit 28 weeks, I felt like it was all going downhill for me physically.  I started going to the chiropractor shortly after that and its made a huge difference in how I feel.  I have my moments but overall I'm doing well.

My numbers are fine.  I've been testing and on the diet for 2 weeks now.  I haven't gained any weight since my 28 week appointment which the dr is ok with since the baby is growing.  There are days I feel completely unsatisfied - not starving or hungry - just unsatisfied.  There have been a few days where I know that I haven't eaten enough and it shows up the next morning in my ketone levels.  I find myself obsessing over the numbers and clock watching.  I feel like my life is revolving around pricking my finger and the next time I'm putting food in my mouth.

We just bought our house this year so I don't know what trick or treating is going to look like.  Its a 2 street townhouse development and I haven't really seen that many kids.  I haven't bought any candy so there's nothing sitting around taunting me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had ice cream last night and my fasting number was 70 this morning!! HA! It was one of those mini 3oz ones (Tiramisu Gelato), but it was soooooo good. I might have some again tonight and see if there's a trend .... :) 
  • 1. 32w 4d

2. NST and US every week. I don't even have to sign in anymore, they know me so we'll. lol

3. I feel great, no complaints in that department.

4. This is where I complain. Just when they seem to be under control, my numbers start to creep up again. They are driving me nuts. At least I'm in the home stretch now...only 46 days left till D-Day.

GTKY: I haven't bought Halloween candy yet. If it was in the house, I'd be eating ALL of it. I'll wait until the day before and hope I can leave it alone for 24 hours, lol.

BabyFruit Ticker TTC since 11/2011 Me: Hypothyroid & PCOS DH: 0% morphology IVF #1 - transfer on 4/2/14 BFP 4/11/14 beta 161 EDD: 12/19/14 It's a GIRL! AnaSophia (Sophie; Soph the Loaf) Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Hmmm I realized I forgot this part... Probably because I was half asleep when I wrote my first post last night.

GTKY: How are you going to handle Halloween candy and treats this week? Well I'm going to try my best to not have any but I'm not gonna lie I might sneak one because hell it's my wedding anniversary and I think I deserve a treat for being good with my numbers lately! Haha

• 1. H how far along are you?
    32wks3d

I have my first nonstress test as well as a growth u/s tomorrow. I am so nervous lol. I also have another endo appt on Thurs which I am absolutely dreading.

So tired and sore.

No real issues, just sucking at getting all my snacks in. The only one I have consistently is the bedtime snack. I'm just not hungry.

I will probably indulge a little.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • 1. How far along are you? 32 weeks and 3 days

2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week? I saw my OB last week, and f/u with High risk tomorrow. OB said everything looked good. He did start me on glyburide to get my fasting numbers down. I also start NST's next week. 

3. How are you feeling in general? Just feeling tired...

4. Any issues with your numbers, meds, or food intake? I was just able to start the glyburide last night but this fasting number this morning was way better. I think my food aversions are coming back though?  Is that normal this late in the game?

GTKY: How are you going to handle Halloween candy and treats this week?  I will probably sneak a piece or two. 
  • 1. How far along are you?  33+2

2. Anything new on the medical front (doctor appointments, nonstress tests, ultrasounds) this week?  Twice weekly NSTs.  Coming up on weekly OB appts and weekly Endocrinologist appointments.  Plus growth scans.  Whoopppeeee!

3. How are you feeling in general?   Really really tired of all of the doctor's appts (can you tell?).  Really really tired of poking my fingers multiples times a day.  Really really tired of insulin.  I'm not insulin dependent when not pregnant, but I had to go on insulin immediately when I got my bfp so I'm coming up on 8 months of this.  I appreciate that it's allowing me to have a healthy pregnancy, but damn, I hate it.  I cannot wait to throw away my insulin pens and needles and everything else and go back to being normal.  It's exhausting to center my life around taking a particular med.  And, it's frustrating that things change without any warning and all of sudden the things I was doing the day before don't work any more.  Sorry...this is a long vent.  I'm just tired. 

4. Any issues with your numbers, meds, or food intake?  No.  Not really.  I want all the carbs all the time, but who doesn't.  I get highs occasionally especially after dinner, but my endo is extremely pleased and my diabetes is considered very well controlled.  I already vented about the insulin so I won't do it again.

Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Was it @Cheekers2010‌ or @Cryssteen‌ who mentioned an insulin pen burn party? I'm not on insulin, but I will commiserate and send my leftover glyburide and lancets to the party.
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• bowlwoman said:

Was it @Cheekers2010‌ or @Cryssteen‌ who mentioned an insulin pen burn party? I'm not on insulin, but I will commiserate and send my leftover glyburide and lancets to the party.

Count me in on this too! :)
  • bowlwoman said:
    Was it @Cheekers2010‌ or @Cryssteen‌ who mentioned an insulin pen burn party? I'm not on insulin, but I will commiserate and send my leftover glyburide and lancets to the party.

That was me! Let's make it happen.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • bowlwomanbowlwoman member
    edited October 2014

bowlwoman said:

That was me! Let's make it happen.

-----QBF-----

Ooh...I have 3 boxes of lancets and half a box of needles in my bathroom closet left from my injectibles when I got diagnosed with type 2. I'll throw those in as well and call it "cleaning out my closet" nesting time. :P
    BabyFruit Ticker       
    DD1 - 8 years
    DD2 - 6 years

• Ugh. Rash??? For the love of God. This keeps getting better, huh?
  • I'll jump in here, maybe someone has some words of wisdom for me because I am so upset about all of this.  I had GD with dd 9 yrs ago but was diet controlled.

31 weeks
    I had my 34 week regular OB appointment this morning, and baby looks great. I get my GBS test Next appt is tuesday of next week.  Saw my OB monday because Glyburide was not working and she raised it.  Higher dose isn't working either.
    Ok I guess, crappy in the mornings, especially 2 hours after I take morning dose of glyburide.
    The only number that has been good is my after breakfast number since I started taking 2.5 of glyburide.  After lunch, after dinner and fasting have all been high.  I started new dose of 2.5 in morning, 2.5 at night of glyburide but after breakfast number is still the only good one.  Getting really frustrated and sad that I can't get the numbers down, worried a lot about baby and how long this has been going on.  Trying to work on diet (within guidelines given to me by nutritionist) but finding that it doesn't really matter what I eat, numbers are the same.
    Going to suck it up, can't avoid it because of my daughter but pretty confident I can resist.
  • What's everyone having for dinner?

I had an "I hate my life" and "this isn't fair" freak out last night.

I just want to eat 3 slices of pizza or a huge helping of pasta and then have a treat before I go to bed.  And I can't.

I'm also a vegetarian so I feel like I'm eating the same 5 things over and over and over and over again.
    BabyFruit Ticker

I just want to eat 3 slices of pizza or a huge helping of pasta and then have a treat before I go to bed.  And I can't.

I'm also a vegetarian so I feel like I'm eating the same 5 things over and over and over and over again.
    I feel you.  I'm so tired of salad for dinner even though I know it's good for us.  I do okay on my numbers when I order the thin crust pizza from Papa John's or Papa Murphy's; each slice has about 15g of carbs.  It's not the same as regular pizza, but it's not a bad substitute.
    BabyFruit Ticker

I feel you.  I'm so tired of salad for dinner even though I know it's good for us.  I do okay on my numbers when I order the thin crust pizza from Papa John's or Papa Murphy's; each slice has about 15g of carbs.  It's not the same as regular pizza, but it's not a bad substitute.
    I've actually done okay with a salad and regular slice of pizza until yesterday.  It was 131 after 2 hours.  Before that it had been between 100-110.

I hope I'm not at the beginning of a stretch of bad numbers :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ladies, hang in there!  It seems we're all hitting a wall.  Third trimester hormone surges suck!  We're all doing the best we can.  We're all so committed to the diet because we all know how important it is.  And that's why we're struggling so much.  We only want the best for our babies and ourselves.  I'll say it again, this group has been great for me.  I struggled alone my last pregnancy with GD and knowing this time there are other women struggling right along with me is encouraging.  If you can do it, I can do it! 

As for pizza, I second the thin crust suggestion.  I've had the best success with Papa Murphy's DeLITE.  My go-to dinner template has been meat, veggie, and side of carbs (potato, rice, pasta) or milk.  My favorite dinner out is Mexican but I'm limiting my eating out now that my numbers are getting more difficult to control.  Good carb choices are hard to find and high numbers are depressing me.  The monotony is the thing I struggle with the most with the diet.  I might add my leftover cheese sticks to the burn pile. 

DS 06/2013

DD 12/2014

• lionyloo32lionyloo32 member
    edited October 2014
    I love making omelettes for dinner! I feel like it's really filling. My fave is adding feta cheese, tomatoes, and spinach. But really, there are so many options! Another fave is avocado, cheese and salsa (but watch the carbs on the avo). And the beauty is if I watch the ingredients going in to the omelette, I can have an english muffin with blackberry jelly for my carbs!! 

Tonight will be steak, mashed potatoes and green beans. Last night was cashew chicken salad while dining out. It was delish! 

ETA spelling
  • I love making omelettes for dinner! I feel like it's really filling. My fave is adding feta cheese, tomatoes, and spinach. But really, there are so many options! Another fave is avocado, cheese and salsa (but watch the carbs on the avo). And the beauty is if I watch the ingredients going in to the omelette, I can have an english muffin with blackberry jelly for my carbs!! 

Tonight will be steak, mashed potatoes and green beans. Last night was cashew chicken salad while dining out. It was delish! 

ETA spelling
    This is what I had for lunch today with a piece of whole wheat toast!  Its my go to omelette anyway!  I've had H make me an omelette for dinner a few times so far.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"