September 2012 Moms

Pregnancy Indigestion?

Did anyone have terrible indigestion /  heartburn during pregnancy, and what did you do about it?

I didn't eat dinner last night because I was still having burping and fiery heartburn from my lunch at noon.  I was so hungry :(  Today I got crazy heartburn from eating two scrambled eggs for breakfast.  I am cutting out bread because it seems to make it worse. 

I have already been doing small meals and nothing too rich.  Anytime I sit or lie down it gets so bad, even 6 hours after I've eaten.  I hope someone has good advice for me!  It burns like crazy!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green

Re: Pregnancy Indigestion?

• Zantac 75 on the reg. I had the worst heartburn with both pregnancies!

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @mrskipper is that prescription?

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Loading the player...
  • No, it's just OTC. in the pharmacy section with tums and the like.

Anniversary

• watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited October 2014
    Yes, though I always have heartburn issues.  My doc put me on prescription nexium for both pregnancies, but when that didn't do the trick, I used OTC zantac as well. 

A lot of the heartburn meds are okay- I know famotidine (pepcid) is okay to take too.  I think you want to avoid prilosec though. 

ETA: prilosec is class C, where pepcid and zantac are class B, so I'd try them first, and if they don't do the trick, I'd ask your doc where to go from there.  I don't think nexium had a class last I checked, but I read the studies associated with it, and the biggest risk was you and your baby having low magnesium in your blood.
  • Lots of tums, sleeping upright, snacking (I pretty much ate every 10 minutes but only a few bites at a time) and Zantac or Prilosec.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been crying about it every night for two weeks.  I thought it was the rich meals I ate while traveling, but have been eating really clean since and it just keeps getting worse. 

I will try that @mrskipper thank you!  The tums don't do anything for me.

If they don't work, then I am going to call my doc.  I hate to do that bc I just had an appt on Friday and didn't mention it because I am a dummy and thought it was the shit I was eating. 

• I had to take zantac too.  I ended up taking two a day and I chewed a lot of mint flavored gum because that was the only thing that kept it at bay.

Good Luck THT!

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• My heartburn was the worst with DS2, but I had it with both.  It's amazing that I had awful heartburn with them and literally the minute they were out it went away (and none since!).  Pregnancy is weird.

I used tums for the most part and tried to figure out my triggers.  I actually found my HB was worse when I hadn't eaten anything in awhile.  It was completely backwards.  I'd try the Zantac and then call your doc if it isn't working.  Hope it gets manageable soon!  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• AKB090609 said:

Lots of tums, sleeping upright, snacking (I pretty much ate every 10 minutes but only a few bites at a time) and Zantac or Prilosec.

This is what worked for me. I also had no reaction to spicy foods, but bland foods put me in pain - it was crazy.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Zantac and tums - and carrots and milk. I drank a gallon of milk in two days and would be eating those baby carrots pretty much the entire time. And it helped a little.

Good luck!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ooooh @nita2603 Any reason the carrots helped that you know of?  I ate carrots and celery for lunch and am not having problems yet.

• My guess is because there is absolutely no acid in there. Probably much like the milk, neutralizes the stomach acid to a degree. I swear it worked. Also, milk. Tons of it.
  • Nuff said, milk it is!  Thank you @nita2603

• Good luck! I hope it gets better.
  • @tinyhumantoe‌, how are you feeling today?
  • I ate my weight in Ice Cream. They sell ice cream at work for fund raising so it was walways available. And Zantac.

imageimage 

• Definitely a big fan of Zantac! Worked like a charm while I was pregnant with DS.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Nita2603 said:
    @tinyhumantoe‌, how are you feeling today?
    Hey, thanks for asking.  I had a much better night!

I ate small meals all day yesterday, only 1 small cup of coffee and no chocolate (apparently those aggravate it), drank a glass of milk after dinner, and for dessert had half of a frozen banana (did I mention I am a chocolate freak?).  I had what I used to consider a bad night, but now I consider very minor.... pretty much banana burps all through the night.  Glad it was a flavor I like, haha!

• My doc also recommended walking or standing after a meal. Hope it gets better!

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • I was thinking about this and the only thing that I found helpful was eating very slowly. Like so slow other people are done and you're only halfway there. It did help though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"