December 2013 Moms

people with far away or estranged family come in

I am working on invites to Aarons first birthday party. I have the sads. My parents have seen him once since they came out for a visit when he was born. (They live in MI, Im in CA). DH family (brother and wife and kids) came for a visit in July. other than that no family around for Aaron. Just like my oldest he gets to grow up with no family around. My parents dont have money to visit. we will be alone for the holidays again this year. 
Im having a pity party....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: people with far away or estranged family come in

• Can you go visit them? Or maybe split the cost of a flight so they can visit you?
  • We're in the same boat. We're in Montana and they're in Washington. No one really has the money to come out here. And also, no one wants to try to travel in Montana winters. :(
  • Loading the player...
  • So I visited in June. I am job hunting and don't have the funds to go visit. When I work we try and fly them out once a year. 
    This time of the year I always feel sad about this. more so that Aaron wont have family at his birthday. 

• Our family is all far away too :( Both sets of our parents have been down twice since her birth and we have been up once to see both sets plus DHs siblings, their kids, and grandparents. It makes me sad because my nieces and nephew live within ten minutes of each other. My BIL posted a picture of the three of them trunk or treating together last week...my poor LO is the only one not there :'(
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • FYI my love tits are sympathy tits.

• I'm sorry! We are in the same boat. Skype and FaceTime have saved us. I know it's not the same but both of my kids faces light up when they see the grandparents on the screen. Currently they are 12 hours away and we are going in a couple weeks to see them. We picked a city half way and got a hotel room. We will be celebrating DS's birthday, LO's birthday and Christmas. Being away from family at this time of year is hard. :(
  • @juliagulia38 we do skype too. it helps. 

• We are actually looking at jobs back in Texas so we can be closer to family. We will be moving away from the inlaws(we live in the same city as them) but we will be closer to my side of the family. I miss them so much. I remember when I was 18 and couldn't wait to leave, and now I just want to go "home."
  • You have all my sympathy tits. DH has his family here--they moved to be closer. My mom and stepdad live in Gulf Shores and only visit once a year for Christmas. My brother works in Miami, my grandmother is in Naples, and we usually visit them in the summer. My dad and I don't really talk much, but he came to visit C once when she was 4 mo. I get sad/jealous because most of my friends' parents moved to Austin and retired once grand kids were born. I've had many a pity party.
  • We are in a similar situation - we live in WY but our families are all in Atlanta or Chattanooga. I've been super bummed about not having family for little man's bday party as well. No real advice or anything, just commiseration.
  • I feel you, OP. I'm going home to visit for the first time in 3 years. My parents and sister haven't seen DS since early 2014, and my grandma will meet him for the first time. Thank goodness for technology, but it definitely is not the same.
  • Growing this was me, extended family was a minimum 17 hour drive or a really expensive flight overseas. It was hard during the holidays but we started our own traditions which continue to this day. I don't really know my cousins or my aunts and uncles but my mum, my dad, my sister and I are very close.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are in a similar situation - we live in WY but our families are all in Atlanta or Chattanooga. I've been super bummed about not having family for little man's bday party as well. No real advice or anything, just commiseration.

@RJBrownie84‌ People actually live in WY? ;)
    @Tanisha417‌ - not by choice
  • DH's father has one met DD twice. He lives in Alberta and we are in Ontario. He really wanted to be there for her birthday party, but it's just not going to work. DH and I travelled 5 hours to host DDs party last weekend as we knew that no one would come up to our place to celebrate if we had it at our house. It's tough being so far away from family - I know we are lucky that at least it's a drive able distance, but it still isn't as convenient as a 10 minute drive.
  • Sorry :( it's so hard to live far from family. We just moved away in July and it still gives me the sads. Thank God for FaceTime!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"