Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

potty training

about 4-5 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and was wondering what were some tips and tricks on potty training (I have a girl) she is 2 and 2 weeks and I would really like to have her potty trained by my next baby...but she is really just not interested in the potty at all..

Re: potty training

• Options
    If she's not interested she's not ready.  It's best to wait.  

I would get some books about using the potty from the library, have a potty seat or chair that she can use and just ask occasionally.  DS turned 2 last month and we have him sit on the potty when he wakes up and before bed and any other time he asks.  If he says no we don't make him though.  We also let him wear underwear around the house to encourage progression.  But again let your DD take the lead.  It will be a smoother transition for everyone.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I recommend reading  The Everything Potty Training book

I am following the Chapter 5 approach, and just have potty chair available and praise LO when she uses it, but don't force her to use it when she isn't interested, and I haven't taken away diapers yet.

• Options
    DD1 Trained at exactly 24months, right after I had DD2. She seemed to enjoy the attention using the potty gave her. Also we used candy. I bought a box of little tiny candies about the size of chocolate covered raisins, and she got one piece for potty and 2 pieces for poo. When she pooped she also got a little toy I had gotten from the dollar spot at Target. Also you may try taking her in and sitting her on the potty every-time you go to spark her interest.
  • Options
    chillypenguinchillypenguin member
    edited October 2014
    We used the 3-day method and followed the e-book almost exactly (except we used pull ups for bed time and away from home). We did it right when she turned 25 months, she had used the potty 5 times in 24 hours a few day before (after having never used it once), so she seemed ready. She had 5 pee accidents the first 2 hours and then none after. It was pretty amazing. My sister used it with my niece and had great results also.

https://www.3daypottytraining.com/

ETA: We had a little potty sitting out for months. She would occasionally sit on it, but had never used it until right before we started. I would introduce it now and gauge her interest. When we started potty training, she got 2 mini m&ms if she went potty and she loved that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

All of the above moms are right about waiting until she is ready.

DD had a pink ladybug potty (fisher price) in each bathroom. I know it sounds terrible but I did her like a new puppy (after she showed interest). When she woke up we went and sat on the potty, before bed, before going somewhere etc. She also loved the pullups and didn't want to tinkle on them. After she was successful with pull ups I let her pick out a character pack of underwear and after a few times of wetting those and "loosing" the big girl panties she was on track. Daycare was also awesome at this. I think having friends using the potty helped so encourage it at a playdate with other children that are potty trained.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used the Montessori method.  It is really "potty learning."  I think I started around 18 months.  I was not in a hurry, she just needs to be PT by age 3 for preschool. I just started making it a habit to go in the bathroom, pull down pants, and sit on the potty.  After she had successfully peed and pooped on the potty many times, I asked her if she wanted to wear underwear.  That was 2 weeks ago.  She is almost 2 1/2.  She's doing great, and I can't believe how easy it has been.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Another important thing my pediatrician told us was not to make huge changes near the time the baby is born. Don't force potty training, make them give up their crib, etc. or you're setting yourself up for a rough transition with your toddler. Mine are just under 2 years apart. DD is 27 months and is doing pretty well. We've been very low key about it, and she's at the point where she has 1-2 accidents during the day (mainly bc she's playing and just doesn't think to stop and go). It's only taken about 2 weeks of very low key "do you want to wear panties? do you need to go? kind of conversations. If we had pushed her, I think it would have been a huge fail.
  • Options
    My son just turned 4 and uses the potty for peeing only. He refuses to push when sitting, only standing which is very odd. He def isn't ready to push poo out and it may be our fault because we were new to the whole potty training and pushed the pooing considering he was fine with the peeing. Now not too sure when it'll actually happen after reading the above posts. What do I do now? Have I ruined it for him and never get him trained? I feel like I have failed :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"