May 2014 Moms
Options

re-introducing dairy (and soy)?

Question to those among us who cut out dairy or soy and dairy either this time or with previous kiddo(s) - have you tried reintroducing it to your diet yet? Or when do you plan to? Advice for the approach to take (which things to try first, how much, try something one day then wait how many days before trying more, etc.?)

I cut out dairy and soy when LO was 3 months old. She will be 6 months old in about 2 weeks. She never had blood in her stool or any really obvious or alarming signs of allergy but her poop was very mucousy and frequent and she was spitting up a lot and not gaining much weight. Plus some of her fussiness seemed maybe tummy discomfort related. So that's why I finally decided to try restricting my diet. I think it has helped some though she is still a thin baby and still sometimes has mucousy diapers and sometimes spits up a lot - its less often and poops are only once a day and she is less fussy overall. But of course that could have just happened due to getting older and maybe isn't diet related at all.

Being off dairy does not agree with me at all - my system has been a mess. Plus as you know it's a pain in the butt. So many convenient and generally healthy foods are off limits . But at the same time I'm scared to reintroduce in case it does cause symptoms in LO since it reportedly takes so long for the protein to clear mama's system and not be in the milk at all. My freezer stash is not so big (maybe2-3 days Max) and anyway I don't think LO would sleep at night without nursing.

Anyway ..after all that ramble ...what are the rest of you doing?
Thanks!
Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!

Re: re-introducing dairy (and soy)?

• Options
    I'm interested in this as well.  We also didn't have alarming signs of an allergy, just mucousy stool and what appeared to be tummy pain if I had had a lot of dairy.    We still see the mucous on occasion but he's never had trouble gaining weight, so my doctor isn't too concerned.   I was wondering when I should start sampling things again. 
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    I have been introducing small amounts but haven't done ice cream and not much cheese. Also haven't done actual milk. But I've done things with it in it like spaghetti sauce and mashed potatoes. She seems to be doing a lot better with it. I'm afraid to do too much though and have her react the way she did.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I reintroduced it after the pedi made me feel like cutting it out was pointless. Big mistake. I'm cutting it out again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We were the same, @springbeduk2‌, except I cut it closer to 4 months. I occasionally have something with cheese and kind of use that as a test. LO still gets gassy and gets a rash so it does still seem to be an issue for us. I miss it too. Didn't realize how many of my recipes were dairy until I couldn't make them anymore!
  • Options
    At the beginning of October we went to a wedding and I had a scoop of ice cream. Bad idea. It shot right through LO. I waited until last week and have been successfully eating dairy everyday. I actually started out with cereal and milk and she seemed to handle it fine, so I am hoping this trend continues. LO is still on reflux medicine, so it will be interesting to see if it has any effect on her once we start to wean off some more. Dairy free is rough...
  • Options
    sarag0116 said:

I reintroduced it after the pedi made me feel like cutting it out was pointless. Big mistake. I'm cutting it out again.

@sarag0116‌ is your LO doing better? I hope so!
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    I was wondering about this too... I miss my dairy!  I cut it out at 2.5 weeks, LO did have blood in his stool unfortunately.  He has also reacted to eggs and fish.  I'm thinking about maybe introducing fish first once he hits 6 months and see how that goes... Prob will try stuff with hidden dairy closer to 1 year due to his previous reaction.  Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"