High-Risk Pregnancy

Gestational Diabetes - NOT diet controlled

I was diagnosed with GD with my current pregnancy - as well as my first. However, with my 1st, it was diet controlled.  This time, my MFM is putting me on meds. I haven't had my appt. yet - but I'm wondering what medicine they typically prescribe and what side effects, if any, does this medication cause?  I don't like taking RX meds. :-(

Re: Gestational Diabetes - NOT diet controlled

• I was diagnosed with GD very early in my pregnancy at around 10 weeks. I went on 1.25 mg of Glyburide around 16 weeks. It took a big load off of my shoulders to go on the medicine, honestly. I was doing okay controlling it strictly with diet, but as my pregnancy progressed, my hunger increased, and I was having some trouble keeping my post-dinner numbers within range. So my endocrinologist prescribed the meds to help me. 

I've not had any problem with the meds. It's nice to know that I can still eat what I want, within reason, and not have to worry that my sugars are going to explode. I'm 30 weeks now, and it's definitely been getting harder to control, even with the meds, though. But my doc told me I'm allowed up to 5 mg of Glyburide a day, so I've started taking two pills with dinner now, and it makes a difference. 

The medicine is not a bad thing; don't worry about it. It's there to help you and make things a bit easier for you. 
  • I was diagnosed around 16 weeks with this pregnancy (didn't have it with my first).

We tried diet control for about three weeks before we realized my morning fasting number was the biggest problem and that couldn't really be controlled without meds.  The doctor put me on 2.5mg of glyburide each night before bed and it helped, for a bit.  They've had to tweak it as the weeks went on and I'm at 5mg before bed and 5mg before breakfast.  I have maybe 3-4 bad readings a week (supposed to be under 120 and they'll be in the 120's) and I can usually pinpoint a food that made them happen.

I've had no side effects (other than regulating my blood sugar) with the 10mg of Glyburide each day.
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have a "fear" of taking RX meds - I just don't like feeling "Medicated" which is why I was asking what the side effects, if any - were.  I would of course take my prescribed meds no matter what to make things safe and healthy for my baby.

What are some of your fasting numbers? I don't think my numbers are that bad - they don't seem much different than when I had GD with my first pregnancy and it was just diet controlled.  My fasting numbers range from 95-115.  Post meal numbers are usually around 120-150 but more often than not, closer to the 120 range.  Like a PP said, I can usually pinpoint what I ate that made the numbers higher than usual.

Thanks everyone!
  • My insurance covers a great program where nurses cameto my house, did a diet course with me and gave me all my supplies, those numbers would not be acceptable to my OB, the program I'm in or the last doctor I was seeing.

Fasting overnight should be below 95 and my OB does two hours after meals (some do one hour) and wants the numbers under 120.  They want explanations with food items for higher numbers, even if I got a 121.
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This may not be standard, but my endocrinologist says my fasting should ideally be below 95 in the morning; but she'd be okay as long as it was under 100. She put me on the glyburide because I was regularly having fasting numbers between 100 and 110. 

Two hours post meal should be below 120. 
  • I don't have a "fear" of taking RX meds - I just don't like feeling "Medicated" which is why I was asking what the side effects, if any - were.  I would of course take my prescribed meds no matter what to make things safe and healthy for my baby.

What are some of your fasting numbers? I don't think my numbers are that bad - they don't seem much different than when I had GD with my first pregnancy and it was just diet controlled.  My fasting numbers range from 95-115.  Post meal numbers are usually around 120-150 but more often than not, closer to the 120 range.  Like a PP said, I can usually pinpoint what I ate that made the numbers higher than usual.

Thanks everyone!
    Those numbers are HIGH. If my OB saw 150. EVER, I'd be on meds. This is my 3rd go around with GD and today was the first day tracking numbers after meals and fasting. My fasting was 94 this morning and I'm afraid they'll even be on me about that! I agree that I don't like to take medicine unless it's absolutely necessary. I'll do what it takes to get this baby here healthily, and to keep myself healthy. It's a hard time. :( good luck OP!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • @redaero‌ - could you give me more info on glyburide? I am just GD but it's my 3rd time. I was always diet controlled before, but this pregnancy was diagnosed early and I'm really struggling with my fasting #'s :(

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"