Cloth Diapering
Options

Gift-tacular

Can we have a thread about gifts? With the holidays coming up, I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to think of gift ideas for hard-to-shop-for folks. (I tried to think how to word this better but it always came out with a preposition at the end. Where are the grammar police when you need them??) Anyway, what are your go-to gifts for picky men, women, or kids? Or do you have a person for whom you still haven't thought of the perfect gift? Maybe we can all help each other out.

Re: Gift-tacular

• Options
    I never know what to get for my brother, SIL, and their two girls (ages 8 and 2). I just don't even know them. Seriously...I've met SIL and the 8 year old 3x, and I still haven't met the younger girl. All the info I have about them comes from my mom who has visited them a few times, and according to her they only like things that are glittery, pink, or tacky. <sigh> Last year they sent us photo books of their family. Should I do the same for them this year? Or should I just renew the magazine subscriptions I sent them last year? Or should I maybe try to make them something like Christmas stockings or a wreath? Or are stockings too personal?

• Options
    I started to knit a scarf for DH, but now I'm leaning towards keeping it for myself. I'll make a decision once I see the final product.

For DS I'm looking for old-fashioned mechanical toys. I have some spinning tops, and might spring for a kaleidoscope, but he still hasn't quite grasped the concept of looking through something, because I keep trying to explain this to him about his toy cameras. I might go looking for a jack in the box or other wind-up toys.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jane, what's the general budget? Do they live near you or is it something you'd mail?
    They live up north, so I'd definitely have to mail it. I'd like to spend b/n $50 and $100.

In the past I've gotten them really nice LL Bean sweaters, snow toys, a live greenery centerpiece, and the aforementioned magazines. They never acknowledge anything I send, so I have no idea if they liked any of it.

• Options
    Oh my gosh. Yes please to this thread. What do I get for H (whose bday is also 7 days before Christmas)? We have every toy we could need for his age. He has more clothes than he could ever wear. Last year we took him and M to a show (m's bday is 3 days before Christmas) but there's nothing good coming to the area in the next few months...what do I get him?!
    Do you need birthday ideas or Christmas ideas?

When N turned 2, we took him to the botanical gardens, but that's obviously not the best plan for a winter birthday. Could you surprise him by turning his room (or the playroom or dining room or wherever) into a town of cardboard play forts? N loves just having one box to crawl in and out of; I'm pretty sure he'd have a stroke if we managed to make a whole room of them with proper-looking doors, windows, signs, etc. I'm kind of envisioning the opening from the first Toy Story movie where Andy is playing with all his toys in the wild west forts that he built. For something to open, you could make up some costumes and props maybe.

• Options
    What do you get for high school/college aged girly girls other than something from bath and body works? I'm so bad with the girly thing.
  • Options
    @unaveragejane‌ What about a gift certificate to a restaurant by them? Or a membership to their local zoo/children's museum?

@theultimatesak‌ We gave D a special weekend last year. When we picked him up from school Friday I gave him a packet with pictures of out hotel, options of things to do, etc. and we went straight home to get our bags and go to the hotel. It had a swimming pool and free cookies. He was over the moon that night. The next day, we let him pick what we ate for all three meals of the day, took him to play putt putt golf, and bought him a small toy as a souvenir. It was pretty awesome.

I never know what to get MH. He's so picky that pretty much anything I pick on my own ends up returned or not used. Last year he picked whatever tool it was he wanted and put it on hold. I went and paid for it and wrapped it. Boring.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    What do you get for high school/college aged girly girls other than something from bath and body works? I'm so bad with the girly thing.
     I ordered my jr/high school nieces muslin throw blankets with their names embroidered on themfor Christmas. I have one and it is a perfect weight for summer or winter and they fold up pretty small. I figured as much as they are on the go with sports, friends ect, that it would be easy to carry and with names on it would make it a little special and harder to lose.
  • Options
    Earrings or a necklace with a gift receipt, just in case? Or a sephora gift card?
    I've gotten them earrings before. I feel a bit dumb trying to buy any kind of clothing/accessories since I don't know if they'll like it. I've gotten them Ulta gift cards before. But I don't think DH cares much for getting gift cads... it's like we all get together to exchange gift cards. KWIM?
  • Options
    I always struggle to find good gifts for some people. This year I've already ordered photobooks from shutterfly for grandparents and great-grandparents. My family loves photos and the ILs are lucky that we're getting them anything at all so that is some gifts done.

DH throughout the year always says that he wants certain DVDs or tools so he usually gets some of that stuff but I struggle to get him a more meaningful gift that he will like and it will not be something he thought about. Concert tickets are also something I'm looking in to. I know he would love that.

I keep a list in my purse notebook for whenever I see a good gift idea or when I'm with someone and they say they love something so that I will remember it later. It has come in handy a few times.

I have no ideas for my brothers or my brothers girlfriend right now.

I have a lot of work to do!

• Options

I really hope that this year we can do kids only cuz with our siblings and cousins we essentially trade gift cards and it's stupid.

I plan on making M an art kit and maybe a music kit.

Our family does this now. And there are only three other kids besides M. Saves us a Ton of money too
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Mandmeesh said:
    I really hope that this year we can do kids only cuz with our siblings and cousins we essentially trade gift cards and it's stupid. I plan on making M an art kit and maybe a music kit.
    Our family does this now. And there are only three other kids besides M. Saves us a Ton of money too

We switch to small gifts on my side. That's why I'm doing hot sauce this year. And I've made Amazon lists for the kids.
  • Options
    Oh oooh! I was making some peppermint syrup for coffee, and decided I'll just make a bunch of flavored syrups for the coffee drinkers in the family. Which takes care of almost all the adults. We usually don't get anything big for adults, so this should work. So far I think I have caramel, vanilla, peppermint, and pumpkin spice that I've tried out.. Perhaps I'll try hazelnut.
  • Options
    Mapleme said:

Oh oooh! I was making some peppermint syrup for coffee, and decided I'll just make a bunch of flavored syrups for the coffee drinkers in the family. Which takes care of almost all the adults. We usually don't get anything big for adults, so this should work. So far I think I have caramel, vanilla, peppermint, and pumpkin spice that I've tried out.. Perhaps I'll try hazelnut.
    Are you making these with extracts or are you doing something more involved?

For a gift I'm thinking about the bakery buying DH a new iPad. We use his iPad for sales and other stuff, but it's starting to crap out. I never use mine, so I'm thinking about trading in both of our and buying a new one. It would still come to $400 or so though, and that's a lot...
    Just extracts. I'm lazy like that. They are still tasty enough for me. I did see a vanilla recipe that used a vanilla bean, and not an extract. 
  • Options
    Speaking of extracts...I think it would be cool to make my own vanilla extract for gifts.  But I hardly know anyone who bakes so it would be mostly for me ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"