Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Amoxicillin rash

My 2 year old was on amoxicillin for 10 days, now 2 days later developed a rash that comes and goes every few hours. It looks like raised pink areas, like hives but doesn't bother him, no itching or complaining. I talked to the pedi about it and she said I can give him oral benadryl if it bothers him or becomes widespread. Anyone else's LO get a rash after amoxicillin? If so, what was your experience, what did you do, did it come and go, and for how long, did you give benadryl? Did it get worse as the days went on? Just looking for what others have experienced.

Answers

• Options
    It might be this:

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000851.htm

The most common cause is a reaction to antibiotics.  My son had this a couple of months ago.  His must have been caused by a viral infection because he wasn't on antibiotics and he didn't seem very sick, not a bacterial infection.  At first I thought it was an allergic reaction.  It was very strange, the rash came and went every several hours.  The second night, his upper lip swelled up pretty bad and I got worried.  We already had an appointment scheduled for the next morning.  The doctor said it wasn't serious but it might persist for a few weeks (!).  His started Sunday night and was gone overnight Tuesday.  It seems like the beginning of the rash brought an elevated temperature with it.  We gave him Benadryl a couple of times. 

• Options
    We got a rash from Amoxicillan last month.  He was on it for 7 days, then I noticed little red bumps on his neck and stomach.  Which progressed to big angry welts by the end of the day and were worse the next morning. 

Our doctor felt it was a reaction to the medication, but unlike your son he was still on it at the time the rash developed.  We stopped the medication immediately upon discovery of the rash, but it got much worse before it got better.  I say that only because I'm not sure if the fact that he's no longer on it matters, because it takes a while for it to exit the system. 

For us, it started on the neck and trunk (Morning 1) spread up to the face, arms, and legs (Night 1), then down to the hands and feet (Day 2).  Then it started working backwards.  So back to the face, arms, and legs (Day 3), then just neck and trunk (Day 4).  Gone completely day 5.

We gave him benadryl during the time period, but it didn't appear to bother him in the slightest.  He wasn't itchy or uncomfortable.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As someone who is allergic to all that is related to penicillin I will tell you that you should definitely keep an eye on this.  Mine started with amoxicillin when I was little and gradually increased to anything related to penicillin.
    Reactions change depending on the type of penicillin given. Amoxicillin gives me a rash like the one you are describing.  It doesn't bother me too much but does get worse as time goes on.  There's another antibiotic I was given awhile ago that wasn't exactly penicillin but was related.  This one gave me sharp pains all over my body that got worse very quickly.
    Penicillin allergies are no joke.  Make sure your pedi isn't pushing it to the side by just giving benadryl.  While it might work,, it's not a solution to be able to give these antibiotics.  There are alternate antibiotics that can be given.  They aren't any fun but it's worth not having the allergic reactions.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Options
    My son got hives on day 9 of a 10 day course of amoxicillin. We stopped the antibiotic and gave Benadryl. He's now listed as having a penicillin allergy.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
    BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d
  • Options
    Our experience was exactly what CC1017 described: DS1 was taking Amoxicillin (and not for the first time) and developed hives on day 9 of a 10 day regimen.  It started on his abdomen then spread out from there (we first noticed them late in the morning).  It didn't appear to bother him at first but did by the time he was waking up from his nap several hours later.  

He was put on steroids and benadryl and it took about a week to clear up.  He is documented with a PCN allergy for now and we'll have him tested to confirm it when he gets older.

We had to stay on top of the benadryl otherwise it would flare up with the quickness in the first 3 or 4 days.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yes. My son started with a rash two days after his course of amoxycillin ended. It got worse and turned into hives and swelling. The dr. kept assuring us it would resolve. He ended up in the hospital due to the swelling. A strong course of steroids and he was okay by the next day.

In hindsight this was his second round with amoxycillin - after the first he had a few red bumps which I told the pediatrician before they prescribed the second course. I still feel guilty for not pressing the issue.

My take away is if he needs it again do not let them give you amoxycillin - reactions are much worse the second time.
  • Options
    HI!  Help me.. My daughter was on amoxicilian for 10 days 2x a day 7ML each dose.  She finished her last dose Saturday midday and then Sunday AM she woke up with hives/rash on the sides of her stomach... I wiped her down and they went down a bit.  We took her to the Dr. who said it wasn't an amoxi rash just an allergy rash.  The thing is it's day 4 and she still has it pretty bad.  It's flaring up on different areas of her body.  Reading this I feel like it is a reaction to the amoxi.  I have some questions.. what can I do to help with the severe itching? She's currently taking benedryl and we apply hydrocortisone cream to help but when that wears off she's so itchy.
    We're doing oatmeal baths, cold cloths on her etc.  I just want some relief for my baby.  Thank you!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    MzAshie said:
    HI!  Help me.. My daughter was on amoxicilian for 10 days 2x a day 7ML each dose.  She finished her last dose Saturday midday and then Sunday AM she woke up with hives/rash on the sides of her stomach... I wiped her down and they went down a bit.  We took her to the Dr. who said it wasn't an amoxi rash just an allergy rash.  The thing is it's day 4 and she still has it pretty bad.  It's flaring up on different areas of her body.  Reading this I feel like it is a reaction to the amoxi.  I have some questions.. what can I do to help with the severe itching? She's currently taking benedryl and we apply hydrocortisone cream to help but when that wears off she's so itchy.
    We're doing oatmeal baths, cold cloths on her etc.  I just want some relief for my baby.  Thank you!!!
    I don't love that your doctor was so quick to dismiss it as being related to the medication.  If he believed it was an allergic reaction (which an allergy rash would be) then he should have taken the precaution of discontinuing the medication, because there's no way to know through physical examination that it's not from the amoxicillan.  Mine thought the rash might even be viral and he discontinued the medication because there's no way of knowing. 

My guy wasn't bothered by the rash, not uncomfortable or itching, so we just did Benadryl as needed, but if it's making her really uncomfortable I'd go back to the doctor.  She may need a course of steroids if it's really bad.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"