July 2014 Moms

Solid foods

First off I know I'm jumping the gun a little bit, but I'm curious about when everyone is thinking about starting solid foods. (Rice cereal, bananas, avocado etc). Everything I've read indicates no solid food until the earliest 4 months, and LO is 15 weeks with about 15 days u ful she's officially 4 months but I swear she wants it!

I've been exclusively breastfeeding and when she drinks bottled breast milk she's been drinking 6oz every 2-3 hours. She can sit up in her bumbo and hold her head up pretty well.

Today I even took out the baby spoon and spoon fed her some breastmilk and she did pretty well with it. Her next apt is on Nov 2nd so I'm not going to give her anything else until I speak with the doctor. But I'm curious. STMs when did you start? Thoughts?

Re: Solid foods

• With DS1 I started at 4 months with oatmeal and veggies because he was still wanting to nurse every couple hours around the clock. It made no difference with that so I will probably wait until closer to 6 months to start with veggies with this LO.
  • Loading the player...
  • zellatrix said:

I think I'm going to try baby led weaning. He can sit with us at meals and when he's interested he can start, which will probably be at 6 months. I'd like to skip purées.

This is what we hope to do as well. Though it will depend heavily on whether our daycare provider will go along with it or not.

The more I read about BLW though, the more I like it. Maybe it's because my husband and I both love good, but I don't want to spoon feed the LO mush; I want them to learn that food has texture, and taste, and whatnot.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • At our 4 month check the Dr said to wait until 6 months, 5 at the earliest.  I'm planning on skipping the rice cereal (DS barely ate it).  I figured we'd start around Thanksgiving and do more BLW, but we'll still do some purees because that's easier for us with her going DC.
  • BLWer here. We'll wait until 6 months. 

image image
  • With DD we started at 6 months. She didn't show any interest in solid food before then. We started with pears that were cooked until they were soft and mashed them up. After that we did oatmeal and from there we pretty much did baby-led weaning which was great since we didn't have to mess with pureeing food. With DS our plan is to start at 6 months unless he seems super interested before then.We'll probably start with avocado or something like that and continue doing mainly baby-led weaning.. 
    image image

• @mamaloaf‌ Hahahaha it may be in my head and it may be that she's teething but it seems like she's a lot more hungry these days. And she's been mouthing a lot (I don't know if that's a thing) but she just looks like she's hungry for something more than boob? Maybe Oreos?
  • I've never heard of BLW before. Just googled it and it sounds interesting, but I think I'll still start the old fashioned way with the ''mush". I do want to make my own food instead of buying canned food.
  • We'll start veggies and rice cereal around 6 months and go from there. I did mostly purees with my first two, but BLW is more tempting and feasible this time.
  • With DS, never did the cereals.  I was laid off and had time to steam/puree cooked fruits/veggies around 6 months.  We switched over to BLW around 7-8 months.  I remember the first time I saw a banana piece in his diaper. I was like "holy shit, there that piece of banana he ate"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just got back from my 4 months appointment and was surprised my dr advised to start solids now. He said two meals a day and start with what I want. He said anything but honey or milk. He gave me a guide, but what he said was more liberal. He said it doesn't matter what I start with, cereal, veggies, protein. I was shocked, I didn't really start DS on solids til about 7 months bc he was so sick with ear infections. He did have rice cereal in his bottle around 5 months. I guess I will do some research and decide soon where to start. The guide says as long as she can hold her head up she is ready. My dr said the guidelines his practice uses are in line with Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, pretty well respected hospital for pediatrics.
  • I've started oatmeal in the bottle for reflux as of last week. I'll probably wait Til 5 or 6 months for baby food.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• We started around 6 months with DD and skipped cereal. We started with avocado, bananas, and sweet potatoes. We plan to do the same with DS.
  • rheard3582rheard3582 member
    edited October 2014
    With DS1 I started around 4 months lettong him taste puree veggies. He did a teaspoon here and there. Probably do the same with DS2. Both are breast feed babies.
    Lenox: Born March 13, 2012
    Number 2:  EDD July 4, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With older DS we started a week before he was 4 months. I know, clench your pearls. But really at the time l this supposed guidance about 6 months was specific to BF babies and I found no guidance for if baby was FF. As if no one cares what some poor Ff baby eats since it is already a lost cause! Anyway...we started him with baby oatmeal. I know some are down on cereals but I think they can be a good, nutritious part of any child's diet. We also did veggies amd fruits soon after, and did a combo of home,ade baby food plus BLW. We will look for similar sign on when to start this time as well and do the same foods. FWIW, older DS is a very good eater. Hoping for more of the same.
  • I started @ 6 mo w/ ds1...I think that was the recommendation then. Did BLW AND purees I made- it was winter we were eating the same pureed soups. I actually was bored and had cereal-wheat or rice, and it was ok. I will wait until he is showing interest in my food then I'll just give him stuff to play with and he'll likely pop it in his mouth like everything else (unlike ds1 who put literally nothing in his mouth).

imageimage"">

• DD turns 4 months in a few days and has her 4 month appt on Monday. I have no idea what her pediatrician will say about when to start solids, but I definitely don't feel like she is ready, yet. She's still figuring out her toungue movement/control. I feel like if I put a spoonful of something in there it wouldn't go well at all and it would just come out with her toungue going everywhere. I'll probably reevaluate at 5 months and see how I feel about it then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS just turned 3 months. The plan is to wait until at least 6 months and do BLW. I thought about doing purees, but will wait and see how he does and follow his lead. The pedi mentioned cereal at his last apt and to start it at 4 months, but I told them no. She insisted it was to help him "learn to swallow" but I mentioned the American Academy of Pediatrics stance of not starting solids until 6 months and that it has no nutritional value. I plan to skip cereal altogether, but we will see. I know the pedi mentioned it as well to help DS sleep through the night, but being BF I'm okay that he doesn't. He only wakes when he's hungry and needs fed. Plus the nursing helps keep aunt flow away.
  • BLWer here. We'll wait until 6 months. 

This exactly. He turns 6 months 2days before Christmas. He gets Christmas dinner
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • EBF here and planning on following AAP's suggestion and waiting until 6 months. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
    Anniversary

TTC #1 since 08/2013
    BFP! 11/7/2013
    EDD 7/21/2014
    Baby! 7/20/2014 
    9:14pm - 9lb 14 oz - 20 inches

• Alestor is really good at taking his medicine, which makes me think pureed foods won't be an issue, and I'm honestly excited to start getting him onto solid foods. I'm hoping his doctor will say that we can start at his 4 month checkup, he does well sitting in a chair and keeping his head steady, so we'll see. I definitely want to make my own foods for him versus jarred food that's not really fresh. I think he'll enjoy starting on new things because he really likes to explore and this will be another way for him to do that. 

• I'm in no hurry to start DD. We started DS at around 6 months. It was messy, and he wasn't really all that interested until around 7+ months. It didn't help him sleep better and didn't make him nurse less, so there wasn't a lot of benefit from my perspective. We did a mix of BLW and purees. I was really excited about BLW, but when we actually tried it, it really freaked me out from a choking perspective. I know they say that it's very rare that they choke, but watching your six month old gag on food is really nerve wracking.

• I started mashed bananas or avocado with DS at 4.5mos. I skipped the cereal and made his baby food.
    I will try with DD about the same time and do the same thing with her. I do love the idea of BLW, so I may try that after a few months of me making her food.

ZBC 11/2012 & SNC 7/2014

bridemaids angry penis annie

• My kid can't swallow her spit, I'll be damned if I'm shoving a spoon in her mouth anytime soon. 

Seriously though, my plan is the same as with my DD1. At or around 6 months, I'll move right to purees. I dig making them and found cereal to be a waste (I did use it to thicken some runny purees). 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • I haven't given to DD yet but the gerber rice cereal says it has potassium and protein
  • Csltdk said:
    I haven't given to DD yet but the gerber rice cereal says it has potassium and protein
    You can get potassium from bananas, avocado, prunes, apricots, peaches, and kiwi (among other things).  All of these have protein as well.  Peas are also a good way to get protein.  No need for the cereal.
  • We do cereal (along with veggies and fruits). I don't see the big deal either way, plus my kids seem to like it. To each their own.
  • We're going to start around 6 months.  I started earlier (at 4) with DS and it didn't really seem beneficial and it certainly didn't cut down on his nursing.  We may try the BLW route this time and try to bypass pureed food.

• Csltdk said:

I haven't given to DD yet but the gerber rice cereal says it has potassium and protein

You can get potassium from bananas, avocado, prunes, apricots, peaches, and kiwi (among other things).  All of these have protein as well.  Peas are also a good way to get protein.

No shit
  • Csltdk said:
    Csltdk said:
    You can get potassium from bananas, avocado, prunes, apricots, peaches, and kiwi (among other things).  All of these have protein as well.  Peas are also a good way to get protein.
    No shit
    Just pointing out you don't have to use cereal to get those nutrients.  Plenty of other options (and why some people choose to skip the cereal, since it was asked).
  • I don't even give cereal at all.  Just fruit and veggies.  Avocado is usually the first food, banana second.

• I'm working on making up my purées with what's in season (apples, pears, greenbeans, squash). I can always get bananas, sweet potatoes and carrots at the store. I'll keep a little rice cereal around to thicken any runny purées. I won't make a lot, I'm hoping LO will jump in with both feet for softened food sooner than later.
  • Has anyone have food allergies? Or maybe your DH does?

My DH is allergic to avocados. (Throat swells up). I asked our pediatrician about how that could affect LO and they just told me to not give her any foods we don't feel fully comfortable with. I basically took that as "we don't know and we don't want to be held liable if she has the same food allergy". I'm assuming I just need to stay away from them with her until she's older, but I didn't know if anyone here had any experience with anything similar.
  • I don't know if there is a newer take on food allergies, but I thought the recommendation was that if either parent has a food allergy you want to wait to introduce foods likely to cause an allergic reaction. Someone will come in and correct if that is wrong. No experience to share though, sorry.
  • @cookieinva‌ That's what I was thinking as well. I wish I could find some more concrete info online. So much just seems to be not definite info that I'm seeing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"