March 2015 Moms

Worried about March cold and no central heat

Searched and didn't find this topic yet. I have been trying to fix up my living space. Me and my SO live in my father's unfinished basement at the moment and it gets really really really really cold during the winter. We normally use space heaters when home to help. We are in the process of putting plastic on the windows, making DIY cloth walls, and finding rugs for the cement. I'm so nervous about using space heaters to warm up our room with a newborn. I know they can dry out the air and is very hard to control the temperature to a set degree. Does anyone have any experience with no central heat and a newborn? I feel like I'm worrying for nothing and I should be fine with what I'm already doing.

Any advice or help is appreciated to so me from going super crazy 8-}
BFP - 6/28.....Unofficial(waiting on u/s) EDD - 3/9

image    image

July Siggy Challenge. Summer Fail. March 2015 Group
baby development

Re: Worried about March cold and no central heat

• I was going to say about the humidifier as well. I learned if the air is cold you need warm if warm you need cold or it will dry the air out more. You could always try one of the electric fire places if you can find one cheap. My mil has one and it does put some heat out.

Hmm. I'm have to check that out I hope it's not too expensive.

image    image

baby development
  • Were about to move into a place that requires hearing oil to run the furnace which is super expensive which we have had before so to cut down on the oil usage we do use the space heaters but we also have standing portable radiators. Radiators use water to radiate the heat and that helps with the dryness and i will second the humidifier.
    Pregnancy Ticker

imagephoto pgal_zps8d04c926.pngphoto mom2015_zpsb124dd59.pngimage

March 15' January Siggy Callenge: Animals Being Jerks
    photo jerks_zpsk4p1dtwb.gif

photo candle_zpslg8yegqf.gif
    For @suzyq0525 and all of our other M15 loss moms
  • Loading the player...
  • Ditto all the recommendations above, and are you allowed to just chill upstairs during the day? So you don't have to heat the basement all day long and only worry about it at night? I think night is easier to stay warm with tons of blankets and warm pajamas.
  • You can put in a humidifier, but honestly humans are highly adaptable to arid conditions. There's more problems with worrying about mildew and mold in the humidifier than just letting the baby get used to dry air, IMO.

As far as heat, I'd just keep a thermometer next to the crib (or on it), but that is just me and my worrying.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • DS was born in the summer but in the middle of winter our heater crapped out on us and we had to use space heaters and dress him in fleece sleep sacks.  The combo worked out just fine!  We bought a nice infrared heater which I guess is supposed to be better and safer (at least the salesman at Home Depot told us that).  I was very happy with it.  The dogs could touch it, we could put clothes on it, etc. and it wouldn't cause harm.  

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Thanks for all the advice! I'm looking into humidifiers and that electric fireplace. I'm a little less worried at least.

image    image

baby development
  • We had a freak snowstorm in October a couple years back and were without power for a week. We have one of those tower heaters and an electric fireplace. We used the heater with our generator and it kept the center of our home comfortable. We don't have an open floor plan otherwise I think it would have done really well for the entire house. We just moved it into our bedroom at night. The fireplace works really well too. That was about $200 IIRC.
  • I don't have central heat either, have you looked into an Eden Pure? That might work well for the space.
  • We don't have central heat. I had dd in jan. It was fuckin cold. I mean 25 degrees at the coldest part of night/early am. Her room does have a wall bar heater but it's super old and i don't trust it. We just dressed her warm. We always open her door at night too. IMO it isn't as bad as you think.

I know 25 isn't cold for some of you. I like the cold but that is cold for Californians!

25 is damn cold!
    I'm in MA and we have rough cold winters! (My heat is currently on) and 25 is cold!

Married the love of my life: 5-17-14

BFP:6-27-14

EDD:3-11-15

Step Mom to Z: 4-11-06

IT'S A BOY!!!!!!

• DD is an October baby.  Our first winter with her, we lived in a renovated carriage house in Connecticut - it was nice but it was basically a big open space with high ceilings and a lofted bedroom, super expensive to heat.  At night we usually set the thermostat to about 60 degrees, if that.  We layered DD in a onesie and/or a sleeper, a fleece sleep sack (I love the sleep sacks from Carters and used them for DS too even though we didn't have to worry as much about cold with him), and a hat.  She did just fine.  Too much heat increases the risk for SIDS anyway; you don't want your baby to be uncomfortable but just from that experience I think you're fine keeping your home at a somewhat lower temperature than most people are accustomed to.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • This is everything I needed to hear :)

image    image

baby development
  • lisap0924 said:
    We don't have central heat. I had dd in jan. It was fuckin cold. I mean 25 degrees at the coldest part of night/early am. Her room does have a wall bar heater but it's super old and i don't trust it. We just dressed her warm. We always open her door at night too. IMO it isn't as bad as you think. I know 25 isn't cold for some of you. I like the cold but that is cold for Californians!
    25 is damn cold! I'm in MA and we have rough cold winters! (My heat is currently on) and 25 is cold!

Ma here too. I agree! The only reason we haven't cracked with the heat yet is because were having a wood stove installed next week.

• lisap0924 said:

We don't have central heat. I had dd in jan. It was fuckin cold. I mean 25 degrees at the coldest part of night/early am. Her room does have a wall bar heater but it's super old and i don't trust it. We just dressed her warm. We always open her door at night too. IMO it isn't as bad as you think.

I know 25 isn't cold for some of you. I like the cold but that is cold for Californians!

25 is damn cold!
    I'm in MA and we have rough cold winters! (My heat is currently on) and 25 is cold!

Ma here too. I agree! The only reason we haven't cracked with the heat yet is because were having a wood stove installed next week.

Ma here too... I am still sleeping with my bedroom window cracked though. I did have DH take the air conditioner out this week though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • This AZ girl is going to back on out of here... 25 degrees... this stuff is nonsense!

imageimageimage
  • We don't have central heat. I had dd in jan. It was fuckin cold. I mean 25 degrees at the coldest part of night/early am. Her room does have a wall bar heater but it's super old and i don't trust it. We just dressed her warm. We always open her door at night too. IMO it isn't as bad as you think. I know 25 isn't cold for some of you. I like the cold but that is cold for Californians!
    I was totally going to say you must be in California.   I've lived in California the past 10 years and feel so spoiled with winter.  We actually had SNOW (the horror!) in Chico last winter and everyone was freaking out about it.  It didn't even make it to the ground before it melted.  The little raised-in-Minnesotan in me was cracking up.  But now I'm back in MN and really dreading winter!  Ugh, I miss it when 25 degrees was "freezing cold" and not "warm sweater weather!".

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"