April 2014 Moms
Options

Who wants to be my LO's Godparent?

DH was raised Catholic and I was raised Episcopalean.  We were married in the Episcopal church but attend Catholic church and agreed to raise our children as Catholics as this was important to DH.  His family is Catholic; mine obviously is not.  He has one sister and no other family that he is close to.  His sister has become quite a flake the last few years and we are nowhere near as close to her as we used to be.  She lives in another state and still has not come to see our baby.  I keep trying to get her to commit to a date to come for the baptism and she cannot give me one.

She and her DH are my DS's godparents but I don't think we have seen her DH in 2 years or maybe more.  The last time he was here was DS's baptism, which was 9 years ago. 

So anyway now our LO is 6 months old and I still cannot get SIL to come here.  If we don't ask her I know she will be so offended but this is getting out of hand. 

Coupled with the IL drama we had over my stepmother's funeral I am just about done with them.  It seems odd to ask a friend rather than family to serve in this role but we may not have a choice.

Re: Who wants to be my LO's Godparent?

• Options
    I'm not up to speed with catholic rules but I believe only one of the God parents need to be catholic (at least it was in my neices case) if that's the case could you do a catholic friend and one of your family members? If not I would have your DH tell his sister you want your LO baptized by x date and ask if she could make it by then; if she can't tell her you are going to choose friends to be the official god parents but would she still be the Godmother
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

@Ashleypixie - your post made me LOL.  I know you would too!  Maybe I can name all of A14 and have a huge celebration for all of our babies.

And DH and I really know we should pick someone who is closer to us and would have a more meaningful role in our child's life.  But not picking his sister will certainly be the last nail in the coffin for his relationship with his family. 

But if I don't baptize this kid soon she will literally be walking up to the baptismal pool herself.

• Options
    Vinny424 said:
    I'm not up to speed with catholic rules but I believe only one of the God parents need to be catholic (at least it was in my neices case) if that's the case could you do a catholic friend and one of your family members? If not I would have your DH tell his sister you want your LO baptized by x date and ask if she could make it by then; if she can't tell her you are going to choose friends to be the official god parents but would she still be the Godmother
    One confirmed catholic one Christian baptized as Christian witness.
    This is correct.  It comes down to us having the guts to name someone other than DH's sister.  And while we do have some good friends that are Catholic, through church and DS's school, our very closest friends are not.  I think we will name someone from my family as Christian witness for sure, rather than my BIL who I have not seen for 2 years.

• Options
    @vinny424 - I do want them to stay away. They are making me nuts. But DH is having a hard time with this and he knows this would be the last straw. They would be pissed off about it rather than understanding that it is because we never see them.

Actually his sister is still mad at her SIL for not picking her as godmother even though they hate each other. And that was 12 years ago. So yes they are crazy.

• Options
    @LalaMama81‌ completely agree

• Options
    We are in MD

• Options
    Blah! Vinny wins, I'm in GA. I don't even know what a god parent even is. My parents were lazy and didn't get around to baptizing me until I was eight. I thought god parents were the people who adopted your kids if you died? So schedule the date and tell her ass to show up. its way more offensive on her part to not "get around" to making the trip out to you for the baptism than for you to pick a better godparent. I don't know religion, but I do know that a baptism is a special occasion for the baby and family and a big milestone in a child's relationship with the church. If her disrespect for that is the nail in the coffin as you say, then she's being a petty ass hole. Maybe Pope Francis should give her a phone call. Bitch gon learn today.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"