Pregnant after IF
Options

Need to vent-Very worried to leave RE

I just need to vent because I am so frustrated and worried about leaving my RE. I'm 7 weeks, 3 days with twins today. I have one last ultrasound with my RE's office next Thursday. They told me that I need to schedule an appointment for my 10 week ultrasound with my OBGYN. I've only been to this OBGYN once before, but my RE highly recommends him. 

So, I called to make an appointment and spoke to the most ignorant, insensitive office staff member. I told her I was a previous patient of the doctor, explained being referred back from my RE, and was 7 weeks PG and needed to make a 10 week appointment. She said a bunch of ums, and then said she can make the appointment. She asked me when I delivered! WTF?! Really! I explained again that I was 7 weeks PG and was referred from the RE (IVF is in the office name). Then she asked me how I knew I was pregnant. OMG. Lost my patience. Explained it all again…IVF #2…HCG tests, ultrasounds. Finally got an appointment and realized that she probably didn't even schedule the ultrasound, just an office visit. Don't even get me started about trying to give her my new insurance info. Why are inconsiderate incompetent people allowed to work in doctor's offices? My blood pressure is so high right now and I have to figure out how to calm down before I take my temperer out on my next class.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 40, rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s, low ovarian reserve

DH: 42, bi-lateral varicocele (corrected in Dec 2013)

2008 Married

2009 Started TTC #1

2012 Hormone studies/ultrasound, HSG, Clomid

BFP ended in MC 

2013 3 rounds of Clomid

Hormone studies/ultrasound, SIS, polyp and bicornuate uterus removed

DH varicocelectomy

2014 Hormone studies/ultrasound, HSG, SIS, removed 2nd polyp

IVF #1- retrieved 17, 3 mature for 2 day transfer, BFN

IVF #2- September…our last chance….. retrieved 22, 6 mature blasts, 2 embies transferred, BFP (300 beta) on Oct 1st, Beta #2 675 Oct 3rd, Beta #3 2,484

EDD Twins 06/09/2015

1/30/2015 PPROM at 21 weeks, 3 days. Hospital bed rest to let these sweet peas cook. Holding on for 34 weeks!

Re: Need to vent-Very worried to leave RE

• Options
    Wow that sucks. How was your experience with them pre-RE?

I would honestly suggest considering another Obgyn whose office is more sensitive to PAIF. For at least the first trimester, PAIFers really need to be handled with kid gloves because our experience is usually very stressful and anxiety-ridden.

Perhaps go to the appointment, and if the Ob isn't more sensitive, find a new one.

My RE (who totally lacked in bedside manner) wrote a letter transferring my medical records to my OB and requesting an ultrasound at my first appointment as well as consideration of the additional care he suggested for IUI/IVF patients (like knowing about procedure they've done to get to that point, for starters).
    ************************SIGGY WARNING***********************

Me: 29      DH:  32
    Off birth control March 2012 - Actively trying Sept 2012-April 2014
    Unexplained Infertility
    BFP on May 5th after Follistim & IUI #3
    Ryan Henry - born 1/10/15, 7 lb 5 oz, 20 1/4 inches

NTNP for a sibling starting March 2015
    Waiting on cycle to resume while EBF

imageimage

• Options
    Ditto to Ducky!!

I have been pretty happy with my OB office. The when I was pg with A, I had some similarly frustrating moments, but it really was only with the reception staff. Things got much better and this time around it was a very smooth transition.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like PPs said while it's really frustrating dealing with that, especially after all we've already gone through, most of the staff at the OB offices don't really deal with most of this and seem to have no clue. I've spoken with A LOT of different nurses and staff at my OB's office during the 4 years I've been with them and I feel like only TWO of them have a clue what I'm talking about and they were most recent nurses. I really love the OB's there though and they fully understand it all and are awesome if I need any extra appointments or have any special requests. If you liked the OB before, I would keep the appointment and call to make sure they scheduled an u/s.

MC Sept '10, MC Dec '10, DS born 2012

Clomid + TI = BFP #1 March '13, MC April '13

Gonal F + trigger + IUI #1 = BFP #2 10/21/13, MC 10/31/13

Gonal F + trigger + IUI #2 = BFP #3 1/16/14, ectopic w/ heartbeat & rt salpingectomy 1/29/14

IVF #1 - ER 5/9/14 transfer cx'd due to high P4

FET #1 -  6/26/14 transferred 1 AA blast BFP!! Beta #1 13dp5dt - 1548 Beta #2 15dp5dt - 2748 Beta #3 18dp5dt - 7586

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that office staff are not always the best.  But if you RE recommends the doctor and you like the doctor it might be worth sticking with them.  I was also released from my RE at 7 weeks with twins, but didn't have an ultrasound scheduled with OB until 12 weeks.  Around 9 weeks I really freaked out and got worried so I called the nurse at my OBs and she was so insensitive, telling me I was just hormonal and to not worry, but she would let my doctor know I called.  She called back in 10 minutes, telling me that my doctor ordered an ultrasound for the next morning just to put my mind at ease.  And I have really been happy with my OB ever since.  Hopefully it all works out for you!
    Me: 33, DH: 33
    Married since 2007

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry - that is very annoying!  I had a similar experience.  I even had to explain to the girl at the front desk what an RE is...seriously?!?!  But the OB was great and completely knowleadgable of everything I'd been through and very understanding of IF brain and worries.  I'd wait to see the OB again before deciding to move on or not.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • Options
    Sorry you are dealing with that. I know it's impossible to believe at this stage, but at some point soon you are going to be a normal healthy pregnant lady. The office staff (and doctors) at OBs deal with 100 patients a day, 1 of whom may be "special"...and a lot of times it's not going to be you. It's going to be someone who got pregnant the "normal" way and now has GD or high blood pressure etc etc. Seriously about 98% of people past 10 weeks that have seen the heartbeat deliver a healthy baby, so it's not that they mean to be rude, it's just that pregnancy is an everyday non-event for them.

I will say if you don't like the doctor/nurses, you might want to look into switching. You are going to be dealing with them A LOT. But don't let one phone call sway you...my first call was the same thing. They probably get one call a year from someone coming from an RE....99% of the calls are probably "I think I'm pregnant but I don't know how far along..."

Good luck! :):)
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    So sorry you are dealing with this.  I think most doctors offices are notorious for not so helpful front desk people. I would meet with the OB and see how you feel after that.  You might also politely tell the doctor about the confusion.  Also congrats on twins.. twin pregnancy is a crazy ride!  I can't remember if you are on the check in over on the mulitples board if you are not come join us over there! 

At your OB appointment ask about if you will be seeing an MFM in conjunction etc...

Good luck!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the front desk! I too had a moment when I mentioned an RE and got a blank stare. So I just started to keep things simple with them. Doc wants me to do x, y, and z. My OB is pretty great and the front desk is not as bad as it used to be anymore. Maybe because I don't bother explaining things anymore.

Good luck! Hope your OB is worth the hassle! If not, I'd definitely go somewhere else!

*May Siggy Challenge - Parenting Fails*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow sorry you had to deal with that! I had a similar experience when I was being monitored by my OB after our first round of ivf, long story short the idiot that answered the phone AFTER I just told her I needed to speak with the nurse and was currently going a miscarriage, stated, "are you pregnant?" Umm didn't I just tell you I'm having a miscarriage that's really something that I want to say again. I don't know what is wrong with ppl sometimes, she obviously wasnt listening to me to begin with. I came really close to complaining to someone about her but I was so emotionally drained I didn't want anything else to deal with at the time.
    *loss and BFP mentioned*
    Me: Endo & No Tubes 
    DH: perfect!
    IVF#1 (Sept 2013) Long Lupron Protocol
               17 retrieved, 15 fert, 1 perfect blast trans, 10 frozen
                BFP--Ended-- Blighted Ovum
    FET#2 Tentative Sched: Start meds CD1=Feb 1, ET= Feb 19-20
              One Grade 4AA Blast transferred, 5dpt- BFP HPT, 6dpt- line darker
              Beta #1- 50, Beta #2- 30
              BFN- Chemical preg
    FET#3 CD1-4/11, start Injections on CD13, ET scheduled- 4/29
             CD12 u/s & bw- Lining 8.7, estrogen 335, cleared for ET in one week!
             CD19 ET- Two Grade 4AA Blast transferred one with assisted hatching
             4dpt- POAS = BFP!....POAS everyday after = DARKER! FX!
             Beta #1- 703!  Beta #2- 4,004! 
             First U/S, 5wk0d- TWO gest sacs, Both with yolk sacs and a fetal pole both measuring 3d ahead!
    ((Thank you LORD, praying these LO grow, grow, grow!)) 
    **Due date Jan 14th- Boy/Girl twins**

imageimage

• Options
    When I called to set up my appt, I had a similar conversation. I wanted to set it up later, at over 8 weeks and she insisted I need to come earlier. I explained that this was IVF so then she transferred me to the nurse who then helped me set up the appt. perhaps you can request to talk to the nurse? Also, you need to bring along all you medical records as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    January & February: 2 IUIs, BFN
    March:  IUI, ectopic, 2 surgeries with 1 tube removed
    May - July: 3 more IUIs, all BFN, on to IVF
    August: IVF#1, BFN
    September:  FET#1, BFP!!!
    It's a girl!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @daydreamernyc‌ Thanks for the helpful reminder about medical records. I'm going to my RE for my final appointment this Thursday and totally would have forgotten.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

2008 Married

2009 Started TTC #1

BFP ended in MC 

2013 3 rounds of Clomid

DH varicocelectomy

IVF #2- September…our last chance….. retrieved 22, 6 mature blasts, 2 embies transferred, BFP (300 beta) on Oct 1st, Beta #2 675 Oct 3rd, Beta #3 2,484

EDD Twins 06/09/2015

1/30/2015 PPROM at 21 weeks, 3 days. Hospital bed rest to let these sweet peas cook. Holding on for 34 weeks!

• Options
    Oh wow, that's really annoying! Did you get the person's name? I would call back and speak to someone else and confirm all your info with them for your appointment. I had a horrible experience at my first OB appointment (never been there before) after graduating from my RE and he highly recommended them as well but this OB office I went to just wasn't a good fit for me, so I asked around and found a new office to go to. Remember, if your first visit there isn't good, move on to a different OB! Good luck!
    **All welcome**
     Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
    DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
    Married Dec. 2007
    10/2013 Clomid, bfn
    10/2013 HSG, all clear
    11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
    IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
    IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
    Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
    1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Thank you all so much. Yes, I did get a call back from the doctor's medical assistant. She was much more educated and kind. She also told me that the other girl was new and they had 4 other desk staff members who were experienced. She also corrected the appointment and got me referred to the perinatologist for the next ultrasound. Unfortunately, when they called, they couldn't fit me in for a 10 week appointment and want me to wait until 12. WTF?! Doesn't high risk for age and IF and twins mean anything?

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

2008 Married

2009 Started TTC #1

BFP ended in MC 

2013 3 rounds of Clomid

DH varicocelectomy

EDD Twins 06/09/2015

• Options
    I'm going to try. But, it's so hard making and receiving doctor calls when I'm working. I was publicly reprimanded at work today for taking a doctor phone during class. I had to excuse myself and step out to answer it.

imageimageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

2008 Married

2009 Started TTC #1

BFP ended in MC 

2013 3 rounds of Clomid

DH varicocelectomy

EDD Twins 06/09/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"