Baby Names

Names set! nn poll

AZMommy1234AZMommy1234 member
edited October 2014 in Baby Names
I've only posted a few times so you may not remember me, but I wanted to share our names since they are finally nailed down! I think my last post was asking about Spencer/Andrew/Joshua. Well we dropped Spencer and added Jonathan. It really is not my favorite though, and my husband feels the same about Andrew, so Joshua it is! So, names are (we're team green):

Joshua Theodore
Elizabeth Jay

Both mn's are family names. We want to decide on a nickname. I've been crushing on Libby for a while, but I feel like Lizzy comes easier from Elizabeth. Thoughts?

Names set! nn poll 194 votes

Libby
76% 149 votes
Lizzy (Lizzie?)/Liz
23% 45 votes

Re: Names set! nn poll

• I adore the nn Libby!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I like Lizzy but not Liz.  I like Libby and it's a bit less common.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't necessarily love Lizzy or Liz, but voted for that, as Libby doesn't come across as a Nn for Elizabeth to me. I adore Elizabeth! I vote calling her Elizabeth and letting a Nn come naturally.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • moseymamoseyma member
    edited October 2014
    Look at the flowers, Lizzy!  LOOK AT THE FLOWERS!!!!! 

I never loved the name Lizzy anyway (except in reference to Thin Lizzy, but not as a girl's name)...but TWD killed it for me :p

Libby is awesome, I know 3- one is 60, one is 35 and one is 7... works well for all of them.  

My very favourite nickname for Elizabeth is Betsy, though.
  • I like Libby a lot! I'm also a big fan of Ellie as a nn for Elizabeth

• I prefer Liz/Lizzy but if you prefer Libby I think that is what you should go with. Elizabeth has many nn's and not all of them are intuitive. I would go with the one you love.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Libby and also Betsy as nn for Elizabeth. The best way to establish the nn is in the FIRST introduction......text ect...say ," we had a baby girl and named her Elizabeth and we will be calling her Libby "
  • They are both really cute and not super common! You could also use Liza or as TNorth03 said Eliza.
  • I love Eliza but that's coz I love literary/theater references :). I think nn usually change with the personality of the kid so it might transition a few times with a name like Elizabeth...so versatile!
  • bromios said:
    Lizzy, because Libby makes me think of blubber.
    what?? Lol
  • ClaryPax said:
    I like Lizzie as in Pride and Prejudice.  Libby makes me think of Sabrina the Teenage Witch.  Liz feels dated.  I don't get the Ellie from Elizabeth since the E's are different.  I like Elizabeth no nick name.  I also like Eliza.  Betsy and Betty while cute, have not transitioned to babies yet in my area, so they still make me think old ladies,, but I am sure that will change soon with the old lady name popularity. 
    I agree with you about Betsy and Betty, they sound too old lady to me, probably because I've never heard them on babies. I know one Betsy that is my age, and I always thought she had an old lady name. Everyone else I know with those names is at least my grandma's age. I'm sure my perspective will change as I meet more babies with those names but those are my feelings at the moment.

Eliza to me is a standalone name (which I do love); I dont really see it as a nickname.

I never watched Sabrina the teenage witch so I don't know that reference.

Interesting to hear people say Liz sounds dated. I just lumped that in with Lizzie b/c I figured if she was Lizzie, I'd call her Liz sometimes. I had a friend named Elizabeth in hs and sometimes we called her Lizzie, sometimes Liz.
  • melco19 said:
    I like Libby a lot! I'm also a big fan of Ellie as a nn for Elizabeth

I don't love Ellie (its ok), but I forgot to mention I LOVE Elle! It would possibly even be my first choice, but it sounds awful with our last name. Imagine...hmm...Elle Paul
  • moseyma said:

I never loved the name Lizzy anyway (except in reference to Thin Lizzy, but not as a girl's name)...but TWD killed it for me :p

Libby is awesome, I know 3- one is 60, one is 35 and one is 7... works well for all of them.  

What is TWD? I don't know that flowers reference...
  • brose1117 said:
    I don't necessarily love Lizzy or Liz, but voted for that, as Libby doesn't come across as a Nn for Elizabeth to me. I adore Elizabeth! I vote calling her Elizabeth and letting a Nn come naturally.
    It is though. Trust me ;) Just like Betsy or Betty that doesn't come straight out of the original name. I agree that I love the full name, I"d use them interchangeably. I just love nicknames <3 My daughter was supposed to have one but my husband and I couldn't agree so nothign really ever stuck. I want to have one picked out ahead of time this time

• moseyma said:

What is TWD? I don't know that flowers reference...

The Walking Dead. She was quoting from the show. :)
  • Why does she have to have a nn
    elizabeth is gorgeous
  • Why does she have to have a nn
    elizabeth is gorgeous
    She doesn't have to have a nickname. I like nicknames, so I'd like her to have one ;) I will still call her Elizabeth as well
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"