Baby Names
Options

Is this a nice name?

My DH and I are having our first in February and we found out its a girl! We are having such a hard time deciding on a girls name. (We had a full boys name ready) He really likes the name Fiona.
I like it to but Im not in looove with it... Honest opinions please!

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    That's how I feel too...
  • Options
    It is fine . I like felicity?
  • Options
    I really like it!
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• Options
    I love the name Fiona, it's fresh, sweet and spunky.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options
    I cannot get past the big green ogre connection with this name.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options
    I've never liked it, and the Shrek thing just makes it worse. I think if it was a name I loved I could get past Shrek
  • Options
    I love it and always have (it's my name). Yes, you will get the Shrek comments but they never bothered me and lets face it, she was pretty badass.
    "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass." Maya Angelou
    ~ Auntie to L: 2013 and Peanut: EDD 11/2014 ~

• Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the input ladies!
  • Options
    Fiona is on our long list as my DH loves it. I feel iffy about it. We both love Fi as a Nn. In the beginning we mentioned it as being in the running and everyone loved it. Now every time I bring up a different name, people say that's nice but I really just love that other name you're considering... Fiona. I don't think you should settle on a name you don't love. But I also don't think you should rule it out because of Shrek. It's a beautiful name! Congrats on a girl :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Fiona's a tough one for me. I want to love it. I really do. It has the long O of Olivia, 3 syllables, feminine without being frilly.... but all of my associations ruin it for me. The first two that come to mind are the princess from Shrek and then Fiona Gallagher from the show Shameless. 

There are thousands of names out there, so don't settle on one you don't love. Fiona is a fine name, but you should love it for it to be your kid.

I would think about Felicity instead. It feels more spunky and you get some sweet nicknames like Fi, Fliss, and Lissy. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I like it but am not in love with it. Which, for me, is a good enough reason to move along. I can't even say it's NMS, because it fits in with names I like really well, but it just doesn't move me. It's one of those, 'I really like it on other kids, but I wouldn't use it myself.' I would say, if you don't love it, tell your H before he gets really attached to it and won't let it go.

PPs gave the suggestion of Felicity, which is a name I love. I don't know if you were looking for suggestions, but that's a good one.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am in love with the name Fiona.  It's the girl name we always come back to.  DH loves it, I think because of Fiona from Shameless, who I suspect he has a crush on.
  • Options

Fiona's a tough one for me. I want to love it. I really do. It has the long O of Olivia, 3 syllables, feminine without being frilly.... but all of my associations ruin it for me. The first two that come to mind are the princess from Shrek and then Fiona Gallagher from the show Shameless. 

There are thousands of names out there, so don't settle on one you don't love. Fiona is a fine name, but you should love it for it to be your kid.

I would think about Felicity instead. It feels more spunky and you get some sweet nicknames like Fi, Fliss, and Lissy. 
    I like Fiona more than Felicity. Also i wouldnt want her to be called Lissy or close to that because my name is Alyssa and everyone calls me Lyss. But great input. Ita nice to hear most love the name. Im just torn. But if we both dont love it won't be her name lol
  • Options
    It's not my style but I seem to be in the minority as people love the name. The long "o" is oooogly to me.
  • Options
    I like it.
  • Options
    I also think of Shrek and I think that's why I really don't like it
    autism photo: AUTISM autismglitter.gifBabyFruit Tickerphoto d61f26e5-4fb2-4a0b-b301-b0af2b53d4d3.jpg
  • Options
    Fiona is a pretty name.  And yes, it will be associated with Shrek but who gives a rats ass?  It is still a strong and beautiful name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"