May 2015 Moms
Options

Carriers, Breast Pumps and Bras?

What is your favorite carrier, breast pump and nursing bra?

And how much did you spend?
BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Carriers, Breast Pumps and Bras?

• Options
    Carrier: I have several, and each have been best in different stages and activities. I love my Beco Gemini ($120) for a soft structured carrier. I have used this one the most, from newborn to currently. It's versatile. I have a Balboa Baby adjustable sling ($60, I think). I hated it for the little baby phase and only liked it once I could hip carry her with it. I still occasionally use it. For little babies, I like Maya wraps ($80ish). I hate Moby's.

Breast pump: Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I ended up having to exclusively pump since my baby refused to nurse, and it did a great job. Pumping is not fun, though. I think it was $350ish. Also, invest in a hands free pumping bra.

I didn't use nursing bras. Just soft cotton bras.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Carriers;

Gypsy mama wrap, ergo and Tula.

Pump: Ameda purely yours ultra. It's a closed pump system.

Nursing Bra: bravado in the early days, soma when returning to work
    Me - 34
    Him - 35
    DS #1 (after IUI, IVFs/FET and miscarriages) Alexander, IVF# 4 w/PGD, b. 10.22.08
    DS #2 (natural pregnancy) Andrew, b. 9.15.11
    Currently Expecting #3 - lightening strikes twice - another Natural Pregnancy EDD 5.11.15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Carrier: I didn't use one with DS but will be doing research to figure out what to get with this kid. Will definitely need one with a toddler I have to chase..and I just got a little freaked out at the thought of having 2 kids in May holyyy crap..anyway

Pump; I have the Ameda Purely Yours. I got it because it's a closed system and the hospital I work at (and will deliver at) uses Ameda. So I can use the hospital grade pump when I'm working and not have to worry about different tubing and pieces going back and forth. I hear good things about the Medela Pump n Style too. Also, check with insurance to see if/what they will cover.

Nursing Bra: I think I bought one or 2 from destination maternity that were more supportive for my giant boobs. But I also had some cheapy ones from target that were so comfy! Also, if you will be pumping a lot I recommend the Simple Wishes hands free pumping bra (you can get it on amazon). Some people make their own with a sports bra but I love my simple wishes oh so much.

imageimage

• Options
    Simple wishes is the bomb!
    Me - 34
    Him - 35
    DS #1 (after IUI, IVFs/FET and miscarriages) Alexander, IVF# 4 w/PGD, b. 10.22.08
    DS #2 (natural pregnancy) Andrew, b. 9.15.11
    Currently Expecting #3 - lightening strikes twice - another Natural Pregnancy EDD 5.11.15
  • Options
    My carrier is the beco Gemini and I love it.

Breast pump- meh, I have a medela pump in style but ended up renting a hospital grade medela symphony bc i exclusively pumped and needed something more efficient. I will be renting again this time.

Bras- I bought some from motherhood; they were nothing special but they did the job. I lived in the BF'ing sports bras
    BFP #1-- 8-25-12, DD Born 5-1-13 
    BFP #2-- 5-6-14, MMC 6-13-14, D&C 6-13-14
    BFP #3 -- 8-26-14, EDD 5-10-15 

• Options
    Carriers: I used the Moby wrap early on and then transitioned to an Ergo. I hear good things about Tula and may try it this time around. Pump: Medela freestyle Bras: Motherhood maternity nursing tanks, Medela hands free pumping bra, I'll have to invest in some really good quality nursing bras as my boobs are huge or make my own using a conversion kit.
  • Options
    mothergoose4mothergoose4 member
    edited October 2014
    I used the baby bjorn and liked it a lot. Didn't wear my LO too much but when I did, it was great! I used the medela advance pump. Worked great because my LO didn't latch well. I also used simple wishes hands free pumping bra. Game changer! Good luck to you and congrats!
  • Options
    Carrier:  Ergo

Pump:  Medaela PISA

Bras:  Target nursing tanks.  I loved those because I could nurse and didn't have to worry about my rolly, chunky stomach being exposed.  My boobs were never bigger than a B....so bra's weren't an investment for me.

ME: 31 PCOS - DH: 32 Perfect. 
    TTC #1 started 8.2010. 
    BFP #1 3.2.11Blighted ovum, missed m/c, 4.3.11-6.22.11 Provera

BFP #2 Aug 2011 Clomid 50mg+Met missed m/c found 9w5d | cytotec 10.26.11 
    BFP #3 - CD36 - Jan. 2012 - 100mg Clomid + 2000met-  Baby Boy born 10.06.12 with 1 in a billion CHD. Perfect otherwise. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Open Heart Surgery @ 5 months old.Happy, healthy, and as normal as could be!  We thank God every day.EP/BF for 12.5 months

TTC#2 - November 2012

BFP #4:  O'd on CD25 (Aug. 2014).  DD May 6, 2015. RCS planned.
    Beta@14dpo: 184, 17dpo: 520.  44 hr. doubling time.  p4: 54U/S 8 weeks 1 day, 161 bpm
  • Options
    Pretty sure all inurance must cover the pump based on the new healthcare laws - just have to figure out how that works.  :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Carrier: Tula. I've also had and liked the Ergo and beco gemini.

Pump: medela PISA

Bra/tank-bravado, hands down
  • Options
    Carrier: k'tan when DS was very small. When he got bigger we decided to get an Ergo 360. He can face 4 different ways. We all love it. Very comfortable! It was $160 I believe.

Pump: medela PISA $350? I had to EP due to a bad latch and a baby that wanted nothing to do with nursing.

Nursing bra: sports bra. It was the easiest and best for me.

• Options
    Carrier: Balboa Baby - I agree with previous poster, didn't work well with a little one even though I bought it because reviews said it was easy to nurse an infant in.  Love the hip carry for my older daughter though.  LOVE my Infantino Mei Tai Sash carrier....it is more structured than a Moby but less structured and easier to put on than a carrier with a bunch of clips.  However, my husband prefers our Infantino Front & Back because he thinks the clips are easier.

Pump: Avent Double Electric and Single Hand Pump - It doesn't always get the best reviews but I have had nothing but great success with it.  It is a closed system which is awesome.  My best friend just had her tubing tear on Tuesday, called Avent to order new tubing and instead they sent her a whole new pump for free and it arrived yesterday.  Also, I loved the simple hand pump for times when I was away from my baby for several hours...it breaks down into pieces that fit easily in a purse and I thought it produced quite a bit of milk for being hand powered.

Nursing Bra: I bought a couple and didn't like any of the actual nursing bras except for some Gillian and something brand sleep nursing bras from Target...they were awesome in the early days.  If you're on the East Coast....BJ's (like Costco/Sams) have AWESOME bras...they come in a 2-pack for like $14.99 and they are incredibly comfortable.  They don't have underwire but they are more structure than your typical non-underwire bra.  Also the straps are fairly elastic so its easy to just pull the cup down for nursing, without messing with the length of my straps. 
  • Options
    Beco Butterfly II, great for newborn right on up. I still wear my 20 month old in it. I had a Moby wrap which was good for newborn/infant and mostly just around the house or shorter trips.

Medela Freestyle is the pump I used for both of my babies so far. I used it more for my first since I was still working. I love it.

No advice on bras- I wore alot of nursing tanks because they were way more comfortable. I forget the brand but they were from Target.
    DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Options
    I can tell you what i used for my son, but I think I'm going to use something different for the new baby.

Carrier: I have a k'tan. It's like a wrap, but a little more sturctured. I liked it OK, but I am going to get an Ergo for this one.

Breast pump: I have an Ameda. It's OK, but I had issues with the suction quite frequently. I have heard such great things about the Medela, that I'm going to get a new one for this baby, The Medela cost 2x more than Ameda, but I've heard it's worth it.

Nursing bras: I never found one i was in love with, I have a Bali that is probably my favorite, but I am like a DDD when not nursing, so it's hard to find bras that fit me.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Carrier: Ergo

Pump: Medela PISA, although the hospital-grade ones you can rent are super awesome, but way too heavy to lug to and from work.

I don't remember what brand my nursing bras are.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    HalePop said:
    This thread was totally overwhelming for me to read.  *sigh*  am I ready to be a mom?!
    Me too! I just keeping telling myself that it'll all be ok--we have a lot of time still to learn and it sounds like there are a lot of good options. One day I'll have to bite the bullet and go to the store. That day I'll probably cry, maybe this is just a good way to ease into it?
    imageimageimage

J15 January Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

Pregnancy Ticker

Married: 12/08/12
    BFP: 09/21/14
    EDD: 06/04/15

~*~ book nerd forever | Tar Heel '07 ~*~
  • Options
    Ring sling & ergo, Medela freestyle (highly recommend!) & the target bras and nursing tanks are awesome. And btw I still worship my ring sling, my 15 month old loves it

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Carrier- Ergo
    Pump- Medela Freestyle
    Bra- Kohl's
  • Options
    Carrier: I have a Moby but don't like it much. I use my Ergo a lot but like the Tula much better. I have a baby k'tan to use for this LO instead of the Moby. Pump: Medela Pump and Style Advance- I EPed for the first 4 mo. and this pump was awesome. Free with insurance! I believe you get a pump per pregnancy from insurance now. I used a Simple Wishes hands free bra when pumping.
    Bras: cheapies from Wal-Mart
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Your responses are incredibly helpful!
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Pump: I liked my PISA and also the Ameda purely yours. Bought the PISA, had the Ameda rented from the hospital for a bit. I EPed for 14months with my second, the PISA held up great.

Carrier: Becco Butterfly II

Bra: I like the Anita bras. Usually get them from amazon.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Carrier: BY FAR the Baby Bjorn (hand-me-down). We have several carriers but the BB let DD face out, which was a requirement to her. She wanted to see everything! Don't believe the hype from the one website about hip dysplasia, it's totally unfounded.

Pump: Medela Pump in Style (hand-me-down; bought new tubes, breast shields, valves, and membranes at BRU - $30?). Highly recommend the microwave steamer sterilization bags, too. And the Simple Wishes hands free pumping bra. All this only if you plan to pump regularly.

Bra: Again, I had a few (incl expensive ones fitted by Nordstrom) but my fave by far were $17 ones from Target (https://m.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-comfort-sleep-bra/-/A-13643224). They stretch, which is necessary for growth with engorgement. Also, the Target $20 nursing tanks - no need to lift a shirt (https://m.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-cotton-cami/-/A-13793418).

I also needed to wear breast pads every day because I leaked the whole time I BF'd. Sometimes disposable at $7 for 60 (I liked Johnson & Johnson), sometimes washable bamboo ones.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"