March 2015 Moms

Who would do this?

At work, one of the ladies came in and asked if I'd like some chocolate from Germany. Um... pregnant = YES! So, she breaks me off a piece of it, I thank her, and she walks away while saying something about how it's delicious and her favorite and the baby (my LO) will love it, since all babies love candy, and yada yada yada. 
So, I take a bite, and instantly my mouth is filled with liquid... liquor to be exact. Burning, strong, liquor. I spit it out, and am so bummed because the chocolate that briefly touched my tongue tasted wonderful... and now I have no chocolate and am rinsing my mouth out with water. As I'm spitting a mouthful of water into the trash, someone else in the office yelled down the hall "hey, watch out, it's filled with liquor! You probably shouldn't eat that!" 
Yeah... thanks... 
Now I want some damn chocolate... 
So sad... 

Re: Who would do this?

• She def. should have told you there was liquor in the chocolate. She obviously knew that. Side note, my sister's ex got fired once from a serving job because he gave a pregnant lady several non-virgin cocktails when they were meant to be virgin ones. Although, how the lady couldn't tell there was alcohol in there, I have no idea. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Kaylin Lanelle Born 9/2012
    Rylee Amelia due March 5, 2015

For SuzyQ

• Loading the player...
  • That's horrible!  I would have been furious that she didn't say anything.  At first I thought maybe it was a box of candy and she didn't know there were some in there with booze, but if she broke you off a piece, she obviously knew what she was doing.  Who does that????
  • I hate chocolate with any kind of liquid filling so I would have been irritated that I wasted good chocolate. But if I did like that stuff I would have just eaten it anyway. Nbd to me I guess.
  • I hate chocolate with any kind of liquid filling so I would have been irritated that I wasted good chocolate. But if I did like that stuff I would have just eaten it anyway. Nbd to me I guess.
    I guess - I mean, I wouldn't really worry about the liquor.  But it just strikes me as really passive-aggressive for someone to do that.  
  • The smell of any liquor or beer makes me want to ralph! I would be so angry about that! That's like making cookies for coworkers and not telling anyone there's nuts in it. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP: 01/10/2010, EDD: 10/10/2010, Loss: 03/16/2010

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP: 07/14/2014, EDD: 03/04/2015
    imageimageimage

• While many people are saying it's NBD, that isn't really fair. If OP is choosing to abstain from alcohol while pregnant, that is her decision and it is unfair for someone to take that choice away from her. It might seem dramatic that she spit it out, but if she doesn't want to consume alcohol right now, that is her choice and I wouldn't call it dramatic to spit it out. 

I choose not to have alcohol pregnant or not and I would be extremely upset if someone did this to me. And yes, I would spit it out. I haven't gone my entire life not having alcohol for lack of reason, and to have someone put it into my body without my consent is very, very wrong. It seems like NBD to a lot of you, but this seems horrendous to me. 

I said I'd eat it because it is NBD to me. I certainly agree that it could be a big deal to some.

I think that if you have a policy in your life to never consume something, you would be hyper aware of things that people are handing you to put in your mouth.

I am assuming the person who gave it to her thought it was NBD and it is not her responsibility to make sure it doesn't have something she doesn't want to or cannot consume. That said, I still think that the coworker should have said something. Ultimately, if you are very passionate about something, it falls to you in the end.

I've never had chocolate with alcohol in it. That is super weird to me. I'd never assume it had alcohol in it, so IMO, it is up to the person to tell me that. Why would I ask someone handing me a piece of chocolate if there is alcohol in it? That would never cross my mind.
  • @FrecklesInside‌ I'm curious about your policy on cooked food that contains alcohol. I know my potroast gravy has a half a cup of red wine. And my taco marinade and Irish stew each have a partial bottle of beer, and there is also wine in some of the pasta sauces I make. I don't drink during pregnancy, but I do eat if it's cooked in something.
    TTC #1 June 2010
    1/3/11 S/A - Count 45; Motility 32; Morph 4.3 - 2/10/11 - S/A Count 17mil; Motility 39; Morph 7.9
    1/5/11 Femara Cycle #1 = BFN  2/4/11 Femara Cycle #2 = BFP: 3/4/11 - Starting Progesterone suppositories 
    Beta#1 15DPO = 108; Beta#2 17DPO = 179; Beta#3 18DPO = 259; Beta 4# 20DPO =659!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    TTC#2 Pulled goalie 5/12, PPAF 3/13, BFP 6/27 Beta 15DPO=248! 
    Dx Severe Hydrocephalus and severe Dandy Walker Cyst.   Stillborn 10/19/13
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    TTC#3 - (No preventing, TTC+progesterone starting 12/13)
    4/7/14 CD3 BW - FSH 5.6; AMH 0.469 - 4/11/14 S/A Count 35, Motility 47, Morph 1.5
    4/16/14 - Cycle 6 - Natural IUI - Beta 12DPIUI = 3; Beta 13DPIUI=4.  15DPIUI=6. 17DPIU=4. Chemical Pregnancy  
    TTC #4
    5/5/14 Dx MTHFR homozygous A1298C, Benched 1 cycle HSG 5/14 both tubes open w/scarring on the left   
    5/28/14 Starting clomid 6/8/14 IUI #2 1 dominant follicle 31mm Beta 11DPIUI =4, 15DPIUI = 74, 17DPIUI = 165 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Yea i would have been really really really mad. My SO and i do not consume alcohol ay all of any kind anymore. We are both in AA/NA and have come a very long way in our recovery and sobriety. While i wouldn't have known initially there was alcohol in it and it wouldn't have been a conscious decision to consume the alcohol, if i would have eaten it i would have felt some type of way about it and for that reason i would have been pissed had they not told me about the alcohol content.
    Yeah that is a seriously good point.  Nobody should be going around slipping alcohol to people.  You never know if they are an AA member.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @FrecklesInside‌ I'm curious about your policy on cooked food that contains alcohol. I know my potroast gravy has a half a cup of red wine. And my taco marinade and Irish stew each have a partial bottle of beer, and there is also wine in some of the pasta sauces I make. I don't drink during pregnancy, but I do eat if it's cooked in something.

I don't cook with alcohol myself, nor do I order items off a menu that I know are cooked with it, but I wouldn't even ask about it if a friend served me a dish. Alcohol cooks off during the cooking process and is hardly present in the final product. So, while I wouldn't go out of my way to make or order something made with alcohol, I wouldn't not eat something you served me for dinner at your house with the chance it contains alcohol. Those dishes are even OK for children for a reason...there simply isn't any actual alcoholic content after all is said and done.

But, this chocolate thing is different. I'd never expect it so I wouldn't even think to ask. That makes me feel that someone introduced it to my body without my consent. It is the kind of thing a person should share before giving the food item away
  • That's awful. I would be pissed I would have spit it at her.
  • Thanks for all the feedback ladies. I'm still kind of upset about it, but I'll get over it.
  • I would have finished the candy, however I  do agree with PP that a warning would have been nice whether you were pregnant or not! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo march_zps6c968eb7.png
    BFP! June 25, 2014        EDD: 3/4/15
    Married May 2011 
    Me 27 -- DH 31 
    Loving parents of 2 beautiful chihuahuas 
  • Yea i would have been really really really mad. My SO and i do not consume alcohol ay all of any kind anymore. We are both in AA/NA and have come a very long way in our recovery and sobriety. While i wouldn't have known initially there was alcohol in it and it wouldn't have been a conscious decision to consume the alcohol, if i would have eaten it i would have felt some type of way about it and for that reason i would have been pissed had they not told me about the alcohol content.

All of this. I didn't want to bring up the whole aa/Na thing cause I mention my recovery pretty often, but it definitely applies here. I know recovering alcoholics who won't even use mouthwash that contains alcohol so I would be extremely upset if I didn't know the chocolates had booze in em. Like @FrecklesInside‌ said, not using or using alcohol is a personal choice and a lot goes into such a choice so I think that should be respected. That lady was really wrong and I would have put her in her place.
    autism photo: AUTISM autismglitter.gifBabyFruit Tickerphoto d61f26e5-4fb2-4a0b-b301-b0af2b53d4d3.jpg
  • Also many employers would have something to say about someone distributing and or consuming alcohol on the worksite on work time.

That small amount of alcohol would be minimal and most liquor filled chocolates have a very low alcohol content, BUT you still should have been notified of the contents.
    I wouldn't have spit it out, but I also allow myself about 1 glass of beer/cider per month right now.  I still would have been less than impressed about not being told the contents, especially at work. 
    imageimage

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Lark425 said:
    I'd say that she owes you chocolate that you can actually eat.
    With interest for pain and suffering. I suggest a Whitman's Sampler. Mmmmm.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP: 01/10/2010, EDD: 10/10/2010, Loss: 03/16/2010

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP: 07/14/2014, EDD: 03/04/2015
    imageimageimage
  • Any chance it was liquor flavored not actual liquor? I understand being annoyed even pissed if you have a reason why you never ever have alcohol. If on the other hand it is just because you are pregnant the small alot of liquor that they put into fillings won't actual do anything. It may even be heated removing the alcohol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker

Great point! You never know somebody's life circumstances or choices.
    Congrats on your sobriety and recovery! Keep up the good work! :)

Married the love of my life: 5-17-14

BFP:6-27-14

EDD:3-11-15

Step Mom to Z: 4-11-06

IT'S A BOY!!!!!!

• Totally agree with @FrecklesInside‌. Where eating the chocolate would be NBD to me (although I would have appreciated a heads up especially if I was consuming alcohol at work)
    It is a VERY big deal to some!

Married the love of my life: 5-17-14

BFP:6-27-14

EDD:3-11-15

Step Mom to Z: 4-11-06

IT'S A BOY!!!!!!

• @lisap0924‌ aww thank you very much! :) i really do truly appriciate that!
    Pregnancy Ticker

imagephoto pgal_zps8d04c926.pngphoto mom2015_zpsb124dd59.pngimage

March 15' January Siggy Callenge: Animals Being Jerks
    photo jerks_zpsk4p1dtwb.gif

photo candle_zpslg8yegqf.gif
    For @suzyq0525 and all of our other M15 loss moms
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"