December 2014 Moms

Realistic weight gain question

So quick question for you. Have you found that you've been pretty steady in your weight gain this pregnancy? I'm 30 weeks today and up 30 lbs from pre-pregnancy. I haven't been eating terrible but I certainly haven't been eating great. My goal starting today is to cut out as much fast food as humanly possible. When I am out of the house for work I'm driving all over Denver so it's really easy for me to stop and grab something on the way.
Also, I want to cut way back on the amount of sweets I've been allowing myself. A treat once in a while is fine but I've not been holding back at all.

Given that I plan to clean up my eating, is it reasonable to assume I can stick with the "1 lb per week" that I read I should be gaining for the remainder of pregnancy? Has anyone been on that track?

I'm not complaining about my weight gain at all here. I'm perfectly happy with where I am but just knowing that I can do better makes me want to do better. I just wonder how realistic 1lb/week is. :-)
Thanks!
Lilypie Maternity tickers
DD#1 December '12
DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
Married 07/09

Re: Realistic weight gain question

• It's so hard to say. I find weight very hard to gauge in 3rd tri. I seem to gain in spurts, but even that's unreliable because I can vary a lot day by day depending on fluid retention, constipation, full moon. I'm basically where you're at, a little less than 30lbs so far and my eating has been so-so (I think I've had more sweets in the last few months than I normally have in a non-pregnant year). I'm really trying/struggling with doing better right now, like mentally I know I still have several pounds to gain so I'm like ok well just eat everything. I dunno, I'm mostly commiserating.
    That's the thought that come into my head at times too "well I know I'm gaining weight so I may as well eat the entire cake" ok..maybe I'm exaggerating. Or am I?
    Usually, if I make a goal I'm pretty OCD about keeping it. Which is kinda why I'm curious if this is a good goal or if I should say that I plan on 2 lbs per week...and then still eat good.

DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • I am right there with you. I am up 27 lbs I will be 31 weeks tomorrow and would really like to control my weight gain a little better. I just have no will power. Its like I see food and I have to eat it. lol I am really trying to watch my junk food intake and trying to do better in that area.
     D14 December siggy Free for all

DD born 12/07/04  
    DS1 born 11/07/06
    Angel baby Addy 12/03/11 due to MTHFR
    DS2 born 01/29/13
    DS3 due 12/26/14                                                                                               
  • Loading the player...
  • My last pregnancy I was at 20lb at 30 weeks. I had been gaining about 1/2lb per week so I figured I end at 25lb- perfect. The last 10 weeks I gained 10lbs.

Last week at 29wk I was at 20lb. I'm assuming I'll gain another 10lb to end at 30lb total again.

Baby is gaining weight now so I don't think there's much you can do. I also retained a lot of fluid the last couple months. I lost my ankles and my feet were round.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • I gained more quickly earlier on, and my eating habits have been worse more recently than in the first two trimesters. I think it can't hurt to try to eat a healthier diet, if only to keep your habits in line for the crazy times to come after LO arrives--you might find it easier to keep existing habits going, or you might worry less about eating all the easy, less healthy things if you've been better about it for a few weeks before then. 

As for whether or not 1lb/week is reasonable, I have no idea. I think the easier thing to control in terms of your expectations is your own behavior, and as long as you're happy with that, the outcome of whatever weight you do or don't gain will be what it is rather than an issue loaded with regrets or what ifs. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

December '14 November Siggy Challenge - How I Feel in Third Trimester 

• Honestly, I think it varies SO much between each individual that there's no possible way to tell you what is realistic for YOU.  I know women who gain 15-20 pounds their entire pregnancy.  Then there are people like my mom who gained 70ish pounds in each of her four pregnancies but never had any trouble losing it.

All that being said, I try not to worry too much about the number on the scale.  I'm up 25-26 pounds at 30 weeks.  I had a month where I gained 8 pounds, and then I didn't gain a pound for the next three weeks.  If I feel like I'm eating too much junk (and it happens!), I just make a point to cut back on the junk and eat plenty of NOURISHING foods (AKA plenty of protein and healthy fats), and let the rest fall into place.

BabyFetus Ticker

• I've been holding at the low end of the weight gain which makes me happy since I have extra to spare lol.  At this point, I'd rather see the belly get bigger but the weight stay within 1-1.5lbs per 2wks as it as cause that means it's all baby and not me

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I've been on the opposite side of the spectrum. At my 32 week appt I was up 10lbs-and I personally was beginning to wonder if baby was ok with such little weight gain-but doc is not worried in the least. I was plus size to begin with so I'm sure he's happy I haven't gone off the deep end totally. LoL. At 30 week ultrasound baby was estimated at 3.5 lbs-which is right on track-so like PPs said-everyone is different. A 30lb weight gain for me would be really really bad given my pre-pregnanc weight-just as a 10lb gain for someone smaller wouldn't be good.
    As long as doc is happy I am happy. LoL
  • At my 32 week appt, I was up 35 lbs.  I'm having a hard time with it, mentally, though my doctor is not concerned.  I'm on track to gain a total of between 45-50 (the last 4 weeks has seen steady gain of 1.5 a week).  I'm frustrated because I really wanted to stay in the suggested range of 25-35 AND because, even though I have definitely indulged, I've still been eating pretty well (tracking in MFP) and exercising 3-4 times a week.  

To answer your question, I would think much of it would depend on your starting weight.  I started in a normal range.  Even though I have been at a steady 1.5lbs each week, I think I could probably keep it to 1lb per week if I had the will power, so I definitely think it's doable.  Good luck!
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Im 34 weeks and have gained 40, I feel kinda crappy about it but my Dr. Isnt concerned. I gained about 45 with my second, but 80 with my first. I just eat as healthy as I can, and try to get some type of exercise in everyday.
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• I think "realistic" weight gain depends on the person and on the pregnancy. I gained a huge amount of weight with my first baby. It didn't cause any issues and my doctors weren't ever concerned. I gained literally half the amount of weight with my second child. This pregnancy, I am having some gallbladder issues and am actually losing weight right now (not cool and my doc is concerned).

I would say forget the number and focus on being as healthy as you can. Don't get crazy abd make yourself miserable but try to curb the junk a little here and there.

Unless your doctor says anything different, the average woman is fine to gain around 40 lbs.
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited October 2014
    I'm up to about 35 lbs, and I'm hoping to maintain that and baby just take from me. This is the most I've gained, but I also started pregnancy 100+ lbs lighter than my three previous pregnancies (and about 50 lbs lighter than I was with my first). I gained 25 lbs with my first; I put on the last 15 lbs from 26 weeks. I lost weight, maintained that loss on the scale, throughout my second pregnancy, gained about 25 lbs with my third, but it wasn't fat stores. It was all the usual increased blood volume, baby/placenta/uterus weight+edema and excessive amnio fluid. I was below pre-preg weight within a couple weeks. And with my last, I was down 20 lbs by 13 weeks, and gained back 12 of it. Never made it back up to pre-preg weight. He made up 9 of that 12. 

I've been maintaining weight for the past few weeks, and hopefully will continue to.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• With my daughter I gained 35 pounds at an even pace pretty much through the whole pregnancy. I was very happy and proud of that. This time around I was up almost 30 pounds by 24 weeks, which caused me some anxiety. I've since lost 5 pounds because I've been so sick. My doctor is not worried about my weight (my inability to stay hydrated is a totally different matter), so I'm not either. 

Also, true story, I went in to give birth to my daughter weighing 180 pounds. I came home 5 days later weighing 182. She was 7 pounds. I cried. A lot. Water weight can be ridiculous, so I really don't concern myself with the numbers anymore unless my doctor says to. 
  • I am in the same boat. I've been trying to eat better and walk more but at the end of the day it is what it is. Nice to see so many people feeling the same way, though.
  • I would focus less on what the scale says and more on making sure you get most of your calories from nutrient-packed foods. You know when that point in time comes when you're thinking "well I'm pretty happy with having had 'x' amount of cookies" or whatever... and at this point instead of grabbing another it's the turning point of being able to discipline yourself to walk away and drink a glass of water or something.

The problem being that you can eat perfectly and you may not be able to control the number on the scale from this point forward despite your efforts. This is when baby is really gaining so it's not always up to you. HTH.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am up 25 pounds at 34 weeks and change, I think that is pretty good. However, I can't say that I've been eating super healthy, I basically eat what I want  and until I am full. Also at my last appointment I asked my doctor and she confirmed that if I don't gain any more weight this pregnancy I will still be fine and so will the baby. I was pretty small to start with by the way and yet the doctor still sees no problems with staying at 25 pounds.
  • Everyone is different. Some gain more up front and others gain more at the end.

This is my 3rd pregnancy and I gain 50% of the total weight in the last 3-4 weeks...no joke.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• edited October 2014
    I want to be clear that I am not bragging and in fact, this has been an area of concern for me.

In the first 12 weeks, I lost about 30 lbs. Not morning sickness related.
    I held at the exact same weight until week 31, where I magically dropped 4 more pounds.

Everyone is different. Mine is just fucking weird.

ETA: Baby is more than fine, and is in the 96th or 98th percentile overall, and I don't have GD.
  • I didn't gain any weight until my 6th month and I gained 8lbs within a month. That was due to not really eating and being sick. Now I'm gaining 1lb a week and I'm 32 weeks and 2 days. Everyone is different :)
  • My weight gain has been almost 30 pounds and I'm 32 weeks. I forget exactly when but I think somewhere like weeks 26-29 I gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks which seemed a ton to me. Between 29 and 32 I gained only 2. My doc said it's normal to gain in spurts like that .... He told me if I am worried about gaining too much cut out unnecessary sweets or empty carbs
  • I'm up 25lbs at 32 weeks and honestly I'm content with it. What's funny to me is I haven't gained any yet in my 3rd tri, I actually lost 4lbs at my 24 week appointment and haven't gained it back. I used to really struggle with weight/food issues and was paranoid that I would be someone who gained like 5000lbs (exaggeration) when pregnant.

I focus on eating healthy, whole foods and stay as active as I can and it seems to be working.
  • Dammit. I was totally going to get a milkshake and fries for dinner but this thread makes me think I should settle for lentil soup and half an avocado instead. I am sad.
  • Dammit. I was totally going to get a milkshake and fries for dinner but this thread makes me think I should settle for lentil soup and half an avocado instead. I am sad.
    @Noodlesandrice, your name just convinced me to have ramen for dinner.
  • I think women are just built differently. My mom gained 45 lbs when she had me. I'm a bit concerned because I'm actually behind the recommended weight gain, and have only gained 16 lbs. Then again, I've always been at the lower end of "normal" for weight. I'm going to talk to my doctor about it, but so far, she hasn't said anything about it so I'm not too worried. If I've got a healthy growing baby in there I'm okay. It's hard to measure up to those charts. To me, they maybe represent more of an "average". If you're concerned, will your insurance cover you going to a nutritionist? Maybe that'd make you feel better.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • londonmummylondonmummy member
    edited October 2014
    I've gained about 10-12 lbs from my starting /pre-pregnancy weight.
    I did lose about 6-7lbs in the first trimester due to HG.
    But I'm quite small, my baby is measuring fine though - she's between the 40 -50th percentile for size. Her estimated weight at my 30 wk appointment was 3lbs 6oz.
    Routine weight measurements are not standard procedure on the NHS here in England unless there's an indication for concern and this is my second pregnancy and they've never weighed me at my appointments, just the first booking in appointment.
  • For me I know last time I gained a lot in the last couple of weeks.  When I switched to my every week appointments it seemed like I gained 2 lbs or more at each appointment. I was still exercising but it just keep coming on. I think some of it was fluid and swelling too (it was really hot during the last weeks of my pregnancy.)

This time I'm on the lower end of weight gain so far, but I also know that it's getting harder to resist cravings, I'm hungry all the time and I'm sure my exercise intensity may decrease, which will mean more weight gain. I'm fine with it though because it makes sense that more food and less exercise = more weight gain for me.
  • i just had an appt today and am up exactly 20lbs. tomorrow i'll be 31 weeks. as pp's said, everyone's "normal" is pretty different. as this is my first pregnancy, i have no idea what the next 10 weeks will hold! 
  • @JunkieBrewster‌, I think that just goes to show that each person's body is different! I lost weight consistently until about week 18 or so, and have gained about 12lbs total now (at 30 weeks). Funny story: talking with my grandmother (who had four kids in five years) about pregnancy weight gain, she says "I gained 50 pounds with each pregnancy and lost it all right away." I probably looked a little surprised, and she said, "The doctor prescribed me amphetamine, and the weight dropped right off...and my house was never cleaner!" Haha
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm at around 30 right now. A girl I work with just delivered at 39 weeks she gained 9 pounds yes NINE her entire pregnancy and the baby was born at 7lb 1oz....
  • I agree with everyone is different.  I know people who have gained 50 lbs and had a healthy baby and then my friend who is very petite only gained 10 lbs and had a 7 lb 5 oz baby.  
    So far I've gained 25 lbs, so I'm hoping to keep it to a lb a week as well.  Unfortunately, I'm finding it hard to exercise as much now and I hate the feeling of being hungry.  I'm just trying to make some healthy choices when I can. 
    BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have gained about 35-40 lbs. Unlike most people who lose weight or don't gain any in their first tri, I gained the most then. I didn't know I was pregnant, and I thought all the sugar cravings I was having were because my period was coming.. Well it never came, and I never stopped eating.

I've definitely started eating healthier again, but I feel like I'm still gaining more than a pound a week. I try not to look at the scale.
  • Thank you for all of the responses!!! I'm reading through the them now while waiting for my daughter to sleep. I'll respond from laptop once she's out so I can tag responses more easily. :)
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Ive gained about 30lbs, im 32 wks. Doc was concerned when I gained 10lbs in one month but ive slowed it down to 1lb a week and she seems happy about that. Im not really concerned with how much I gain. If im hungry, I eat. If I want ice cream, I eat it. But I do make sure to eat healthy most meals. I still indulge my cravings though because I have no will power against sweets. :)
  • With my singleton I didn't start gaining until after 15 weeks, and then I gained 30 in the remaining 26 weeks- so sort of close to 1lb/wk, but it certainly wasn't gained evenly over those weeks. However I think 1lb/wk in 3rd tri is perfectly reasonable, but it must depend a lot on the person. Also keep in mind that you likely won't be gaining much in the last few weeks.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• First of all, hi Denver bump buddy I live in Castle Rock! With my first, I started at 130lbs and ended at 170lbs. However, I was on bed rest basically the whole last tri so I literally sat and ate crap foods cause my hubby can't cook at ALL and snacked all day watching Netflix. So, I think I gained more than I would have had I been able to cook normally and move around. This time, I'm 32 weeks and have only gained 13lbs. However, I started out heavier this time at 155lbs, but I've been really healthy with the things I've been eating the whole pregnancy so I think there are a lot of things that factor in to weight gain.
  • So thanks again for all of the feedback. I agree with everything you all said. None of the Dr.s in my office have brought up weight gain at all and I'm not worried about it in that sense. I guess I gained 45 lbs or so with DD. I lost it really fast with her, I hope that happens again. I am today, at 30 weeks, where I was when I got pregnant with DD, so already I guess I'm off to a better start this time around.

I also agree with those of you that said I should focus more on eating healthy, whole, nutritious foods instead of looking at a number on the scale. I don't weigh myself often and never more than once a week. I usually don't even look at the office when they weigh me but I was curious yesterday.

I also realize that I need to do this for baby. I can go either way, I'm either REALLY good at eating a very healthy diet and I won't eat any junk OR I do the complete opposite and just thinking about eating a treat (ice cream, cake, chips, cupcakes, cookies...) puts me in a tail spin and I suddenly have zero control over what I eat and I'll go way over board. (typing this out actually sounds like a disorder..)

@braincellsup you're dead on with what you said. Just as important as it is to eat healthy for myself and the baby, but it'll also hopefully help postpartum to already be on track with eating healthy. Or also as you said, then if I have the random night of not so good food it won't be such a big deal since I started eating healthy again now. Thank you for that reminder.

@BLH2014 and others that said it varies so much. you're right. Each person will respond differently to pregnancy and it's impossible to fit everyone into any chart that the medical society creates. Good point.

@nolanova85 That was my initial thought when I found out I was pregnant. I wanted to stay within the "typical weight gain" range that they charts show. But, I'm right at that point now so I know now I can't change it. I just have to adjust my eating habits to hopefully curb too much unnecessary weight gain.

@eora3 I'm sorry that you're having gall bladder issues and not feeling well. That's uncomfortable to deal with not pregnant. @kimba1976 Sorry to hear that you're sick as well. When I'm not hydrated well enough I certainly notice it too, I hope that goes away for you! And wow! That's crazy about the water weight. I know my mom was pissed at my aunt when they were having babies bc my mom came out of the hospital without changing any weight and my aunt somehow came out weighing LESS than her prepregnancy weight. It's amazing how different we all really are with such a common thing!

@raechay you're absolutely right.
    @bvsbabymomma the eating on the go is the hardest part! Sometimes my intentions are good even pulling up to the drive through "ok, since I'm eating in the car I'll get a healthier option here..." and nope. I see the menu and just get the best sounding thing...which sadly is never the healthier option.

@junkiebrewster wow, that is certainly the opposite of what you usually hear! But even though it's uncommon at least you and baby are healthy and doing well. I guess in order for there to be an "average" there always has to be people that are at the far ends of the spectrum.

@noodlesandrice sorry! lol, maybe have the avocado and lentil soup AND a small milk shake :-)
    @pinklepop I would love to see a nutritionist after baby is born. I've always wanted to go to one because I am truly interested in health and nutrition...even if I don't always display it lol. I think I need to find a menu/diet plan for a 3rd trimester pregnancy. Just like a guideline like a nutritionist would give you, I do well when I have something to follow.

@mgk207 LOL!!! Well if they only still prescribed that for post-pregnancy none of us would worry about weight gain ;-)

@ashleykadlec hello :-) I love castle rock! I was just telling a co-worker that we needed an excuse to drive down there for work so that I can visit the outlet mall and expense the drive haha. I can only imagine how much I would gain if I was on bed rest. Then again I'd make a terrible bed rest patient because I can't sit still long enough as it is. I'm always cleaning! lol Glad to hear you're not dealing with bed rest this time around.

I'll start making a much better effort from here on out to eat better. I can't make myself any promises that I'll work out more. I do work 5 days a week and I play with my DD allllll the time so I do get some workout there. I also go to a yoga class once a week, not that that's a lot but better than nothing.
    Thanks for all the tips and personal stories!
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • I think I may start prenatal yoga. I have been terrible about going to the gym since my work schedule changed :( fortunately it will change again for the better after baby arrives.

Good luck with your changes @perfectlove09! And don't beat yourself up.
  • TBH I didn't gain much in 1st and 2nd Tri, I lost in 1st and apparently converted my excess fat/weight into baby for awhile (Doc not concerned), but I have been steadily gaining pretty much since 3rd tri started. Who knows where I'll end up by the end. Lol.

• I'm a ftm, 31 weeks and up 25 pounds. 3 of those pounds are all on the past week. 9 of them were in the first few weeks of pregnancy. The rest were put on between weeks 17 and 27. I told myself I would be okay with a 35 pound weight gain when I first got pregnant. I'm worried I will gain more than 10 pounds over the next 9 weeks, and will exceed the 35 pounds, especially as I become increasingly less active. I know I can make some better choices in these final weeks. I've been eating tons of cheeseburgers, Mexican food, sausage and pancakes, cheese, etc. I'm going to cut out some of that and add in more veggies. Aside from that, I'm going to do my best to try not to stress. I have a 22 year history of eating disorders so if I try to "diet", it can get extreme in a hurry so it's best for me to refrain from heading down that path.
  • 3rd time mom and I've gained 18 pounds at 34 weeks. I haven't been able to gain much over the last month(trust me, I've tried) but since baby is measuring fine no concerns.

I do think it has to do with each individual though. When I'm not pregnant, I have to exercise and watch what I eat to keep my weight down. It seems pregnancy actually gives me a spike in my metabolism(or so my Dr says) so that is why I'm a low gainer. I actually would like to make it to 25 pounds at the end but if I gain 1 pound per week, I may be a bit under.

As of now, I find myself hungry often but dang, I full up after a few bites. For this reason, I seem to think weight gain after 34-35 weeks seems to slow down.
  • I'm almost 32wks and have gained 23lbs. Two and a half weeks ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and asked to follow the strict carb diet (3 meals and 3 snacks a day) and add in daily walks. I use MyFitnessPall to track every single thing that goes into my mouth. The funny things is, for those familiar with MFP, when you complete an entry for the day, it says something along the lines of "If every day was like today, you'd weigh X by X date". At the end of each day, I'm supposedly going to weigh less than my current weight. In other words, I should be losing weight, but I'm not. I think it just goes to show that we can't really control what our bodies do during pregnancy. And for the first time in my life I am able to control my sugar cravings. Nothing like the fear of harming your baby to keep you from eating that piece of chocolate .... or ten. I really do miss it though!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"