January 2015 Moms

Size of baby + diet

Do you guys think that the size of baby when s/he is born is directly related to diet/nutrition mama has while pregnant? This is my 4th baby, and all previous 3 babies have been 8/9lbs. Fairly large in today's standards. I'm wondering if I cut out sugar (or carbs or what have you) it would result in a smaller baby? OR, is it something completely out of our control, and baby will grow as big as s/he is destined to become? (Like a goldfish growing to the size of its environment...?) 
Just something I've been thinking a lot about lately - how bad sugar actually is... I've been super discouraged lately about sugar + relation to illness/cancer/diseases, etc. 

Re: Size of baby + diet

• Not for me personally. I gained nearly 50 lbs with my daughter (way more than I needed to and I know it is because of a poor diet) and she was born at 6 lbs 11 oz. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • There have been studies done in relation to babies born to athletes being leaner and also that people with GD having large babies. However, genetics also plays a huge part in the size of your baby and you really shouldn't be TRYING to control the size with diet unless you have GD and have to be careful that they don't get too big. 

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• Loading the player...
  • My doctor has always told me that my size/weight during pregnancy doesn't effect baby at all
  • I gained 7 pounds with my first pregnancy and my baby was 8 lbs 14 oz. I had GD (controlled with diet) and My husband is 6'4" and doctor suggested we might just make big babies.

This time I do not have GD so maybe baby will be big, maybe she will be small? I'm not really worried about it, but I'm sorry I don't have any answers.
  • I don't think your diet has anything to do with it, unless you have GD.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Nope, my first was 11.1 pounds 20 inches (no GD) and I lost weight because of some pretty nasty morning sickness. I do have a very long torso and my husband has actually said the thing about the goldfish growing to the size of the environment. Once I could eat later in the pregnancy I did not exclude anything from my diet. My second was 9.8 pounds 21 inches. No changes in diet again.
  • I doubt it.  I may have, but I don't remember eating a lot of carbs last pregnancy (I craved steaks and salads all the way through).  I gained right around 30 lbs (starting out "underweight") and DD was 8.5 of that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it probably has more to do with genetics than diet. I was really careful my first pregnancy. Ate super healthy and gained minimal weight and my baby was a chunky 8lbs 4 oz.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In my experience (one baby) definitely not. I ate pretty much whatever I was hungry for with DS. I lost weight in the beginning and so my doctor told me to "eat healthy, but don't worry too much about calories." DS was 4 days late and weighed 7lbs 4oz.
  • Not in my experience. I gained 40lbs with DD and she was only 6lb 8oz at 41 weeks.

The only time I think it plays a factor is if you have GD.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kellyfo14 said:

Nope, my first was 11.1 pounds 20 inches (no GD) and I lost weight because of some pretty nasty morning sickness. I do have a very long torso and my husband has actually said the thing about the goldfish growing to the size of the environment. Once I could eat later in the pregnancy I did not exclude anything from my diet. My second was 9.8 pounds 21 inches. No changes in diet again.

@kellyfo14‌ 11lbs?! Wow that was one big baby!

OP- I don't think the food you eat has any connection to the size of the baby. I ate a lot of food with carbs and sugar with my first and he was 7lbs 7oz - pretty average. My diet hasn't changed this pregnancy and the baby has been measuring average the entire time as well. So Base on this and what others have said, it seems to me that baby's size is all genetics.

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• I've had various diets and never had gd and all my kids were relatively the same size. I think one should eat with moderation but without having gd I wouldn't put too much stock into what you eat will determine size of baby. Your body knows for the most part what size it can grow safely. 
    Still immune to tickers. Polite Canadian 99% of the time. SAHM of 7 soon to be 8. I read more than I post.
  • My mom gained 40lbs with me and 60 with my brother, and we were both around 7lbs 7oz.

I gained 28 with DS, and he was 8lbs 10oz.

Of course that's anecdotal, and there were lots of other factors. I do wonder about GMOs and hormones in our milk and meats and things like that, but I don't think that's what made me grow a bigger baby.
  • I gained 13 pounds during my 1st pregnancy and my son was 7 lbs 10 oz. I don't think your diet directly affects the baby's birth weight.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it is more genetics than diet (aside from GD) i had severe HG with my first 3 and consistently lost 1-5 lbs from visit to visit my girls were 1.6-3.5 weeks early and 7lbs, 8lbs, 9 lbs. my mother had me 6 weeks early i was 7 lbs my sister was also 7 lbs born 2 months early... we just have big babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"