December 2014 Moms
Options

If your baby is breech and the doctor suggests a version, would you try it?

ebilbaoebilbao member
edited October 2014 in December 2014 Moms
Please feel free to share if you have experience having a version.
BabyFruit Ticker

If your baby is breech and the doctor suggests a version, would you try it? 216 votes

Yes - the doctor suggested it, so of course.
15% 34 votes
I would refuse the version and see if the baby flips on his own, even if it means scheduling a c-section later.
32% 70 votes
Only if alternative therapies (moxibustion, postures) fail.
36% 79 votes
SS
14% 32 votes

Re: If your baby is breech and the doctor suggests a version, would you try it?

• Options
    Yeah...I'm having a tough time deciding about this. I see a chiro and an acupuncturist who I would trust to try the Webster technique and moxibustion. I have also been trying some postures from spinningbabies.com. I just have this strong feeling that I want to be left alone, see if LO flips on his own and if he doesn't, just do a c-section.

However, I am a FTM and don't know which is worse - the risk from a version or the pain and recovery from a c-section. After seeing that in writing, I guess c-section?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @chelseavranich Yup - you are thinking of a version. They only have about a 50% success rate, can be painful, can cause a drop in LO's HR, can cause membrane rupture, etc.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ebilbao said:

Yeah...I'm having a tough time deciding about this. I see a chiro and an acupuncturist who I would trust to try the Webster technique and moxibustion. I have also been trying some postures from spinningbabies.com. I just have this strong feeling that I want to be left alone, see if LO flips on his own and if he doesn't, just do a c-section.

However, I am a FTM and don't know which is worse - the risk from a version or the pain and recovery from a c-section. After seeing that in writing, I guess c-section?

It seems like you might have part of it figured out. The simple fact that you're willing to see a chriopractor and acupunturist as it is shows that you're up for more natural steps first. I'd try those two avenues and I've also heard great things about spinning babies website.

If all else fails it sounds like your big decision is weather you want a c-section or try the version. It's been two years since I read about versions so im unfamiliar with the risks?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    I lean toward sticking with other therapies like Webster technique, open-knee chest, inversion, moxibustion, pelvic tilts, etc. A version *is* an option, of course. My midwife mentioned it if it was something a client truly wanted.

My little one is a mover. She'll be breech one day, vertex another, and back to breech. My youngest was similar. He didn't settle into place until 36 weeks. Even if he hadn't, I still would have birthed him vaginally. If for some odd reason Ruby doesn't eventually settle into the vertex position, I'll still continue with my plans for a vaginal birth. My midwife has been trained in attending breech births, and I'd have no problem birthing frank/complete breech.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options

Because there are so many other (safer) options out there now I would only do a version as a last ditch effort to get baby to flip. If my stubborn LO doesn't flip with alternative therapies though and I am full term Im going try it.

ETA: cuz grammar.

This. I would try other things first but would try if everything else failed. I had a drug free birth last time and felt pretty good within a couple days. The thought of caring for a newborn and toddler while recovering from abdominal surgery scares me.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • Options
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    @pinklepop I don't think I even want to click on it..:/
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Options
    @pinklepop I don't think I even want to click on it..:/
    It's hard to watch. She doesn't cry or anything, but you can tell she's tough. I... am not so tough.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I don't know what I would do. Mine is breech at the moment but I am counting in him turning. It seems terribly painful for something that may not work.. but I am also really terrified of having a c-section. I panicked getting my wisdom teeth out, I can only imagine how I would do having a major surgery.
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I voted ss, because I would, but not only because the dr suggested it. I would also try alternative measures first (chiro, positioning exercises).

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I would try many other things first but if they all failed I would try a version before going to a csection. My cousin could not get her baby to turn no matter what they tried. I think they may have even done a version and the baby flipped back. So one last chance they did a version in L&D and then popped her water and baby was born vaginally but everyone was ready for a csection just in case.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With DD they were really pushing for me to do the version at 37 weeks. After researching, I decided that I wanted nothing to do with it. It has to be done in the hospital in case the baby goes into distress, te baby is able to flip back, making the procedure pointless, and it's painful.
    In my case, it didn't matter anyway bc I had DD at 36 weeks and they won't do the version before 37

• Options
    Pros521 said:
    With DD they were really pushing for me to do the version at 37 weeks. After researching, I decided that I wanted nothing to do with it. It has to be done in the hospital in case the baby goes into distress, te baby is able to flip back, making the procedure pointless, and it's painful. In my case, it didn't matter anyway bc I had DD at 36 weeks and they won't do the version before 37
    So did you have a c-section or did your DD flip?

@pinklepop That video was actually really reassuring. She was TOUGH. It didn't look like she had an epidural or anything. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it might be...?

@nandaB My kid has been stuck with his head under my left ribs since August. He will not budge.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a huge proponent for vaginal birth for myself (scared of anything hospital related, including IVs lol), but if my baby is breech, I will get a c-section. I am just scared that something will go wrong, and not sure if a version will actually work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ebilbao said:

I've been thinking just the same thing. Had an ultrasound this afternoon, and was told that LO is breech as well as posterior, so have been thinking about these things, too. I understand that, especially at 30 weeks, it's too early to make the call, but my gut feeling is to avoid the version as well. If he's still breech at my 34 week ultrasound, I will work on other methods (acupuncture, chiro) to get him to flip, and if he hasn't by 36 weeks, I will likely schedule a c-section. I could change my mind, but these are my thoughts at the moment! I'll continue to research and work with my doctors to figure it out!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    At my last appointment baby was breech. I was given a long list of things to try to get her to flip (underwater headstand is currently my favorite), but they also let me know if none of that works, they'd push for a version.  It is a midwife practice, and they have abnormally high success rates.  I guess I'll consider it if we get there, but I'm going to try focusing positive energy on getting her head down by pretty much any other means for now.  I'm 32 weeks and have been told its still a few weeks before they'll really talk about it much since she could still flip back and forth a bunch between now and go time. :)
  • Options
    My baby is still breech at 33+3 (I know there's still time) but if it comes down to it and babe stays breech, I'm opting for the section. I had an extremely easy vaginal birth with DS but I just can't handle thinking about the extra risks to babe with a version or trying to birth a breech baby vaginally. I should disclose though that my best friend lost her full term baby just 2 months ago due to "birth complications" (meaning they don't know the exact cause) and I'm superrrr paranoid about taking ANY extra risk to baby.
  • Options
    I would try the other methods before trying a version, but I would try a version if that didn't work. I asked my doctor about whether this baby was head down yet and he/she was, but there were still hands near the pelvis region (the baby took a swing at her as she was palpating ha ha.)  I know they are still flipping at this point so I'm trying not to be too worried.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    ebilbao said:

Pros521 said:

With DD they were really pushing for me to do the version at 37 weeks. After researching, I decided that I wanted nothing to do with it. It has to be done in the hospital in case the baby goes into distress, te baby is able to flip back, making the procedure pointless, and it's painful.
    In my case, it didn't matter anyway bc I had DD at 36 weeks and they won't do the version before 37

@pinklepop That video was actually really reassuring. She was TOUGH. It didn't look like she had an epidural or anything. Maybe it's not as bad as I think it might be...?

@nandaB My kid has been stuck with his head under my left ribs since August. He will not budge.

I had a c section

• Options
    NandaB said:

ebilbao said:

Pros521 said:

Sorry your kid's a jerk ;)

He really is. I mean, WHO DOES THAT?!?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This freaks me out a little bit, but if my doctor suggested it I would probably go ahead with it. Plus I really really don't want a C-section.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

• Options
    I'd try all the alternative methods first. Then if baby still wasn't cooperating, I'd schedule a version with a doctor skilled in breech birth. That way, if the version failed or if baby's water broke, etc. I'd go on to try and do a vaginal breech delivery. If you were with a practitioner skilled and trained in vaginal breech birth then your risks are much smaller. Especially if you've had more than one baby.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    My first daughter turned breech at 38 weeks, 2 days.  I know this because I felt hiccups way up by my ribs.  I spent the better part of the night in an inverted position (spinningbabies.com was very helpful).  When I saw my OB the next morning, I was fully expecting that she would need to perform a version on me...but as luck would have it, she confirmed that baby had in fact flipped herself to a head-down position, indicating that the inversion techniques had worked.  In the process baby broke my water however, and was delivered 2 days later :-)  So in my experience, the inversion technique was very effective, but I was certainly open to a version that late in the game.  I would have just waited it out if she had been breech prior to 37 weeks though.

• Options
    Had a version at 37 weeks with DS, and it was fine. DD is breech too, and if she doesn't flip on her own I'll schedule another version. There's an OB at out my practice who is very good at versions. None of the doctors are trained in delivering breech babies vaginally. I'd rather try the version and risk failure and a c-section than be forced into a c-section without trying. Like PP said, the idea of caring for a newborn and toddler after major abdominal surgery sounds horrible.

That said, I did try spinning babies positions and headstands in the pool before having the version.

Anniversary

• Options
    I voted SS because I really don't know what I would do if faced with the choice (I would definitely try alternative methods first)-- but mostly commented to add that my mom had two versions with my little brother (after going into labor at 32 weeks) and he flipped right back around both times and ended up being delivered by C.  Therefore, if I was going to have one I'd want to at least wait until baby was big enough that they would have a hard time rearranging themselves again.

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 
    2 Corinthians 12:9

• Options
    I am in the exact same boat. At 32 weeks, our baby was head down. He's now frank breech at 36 weeks. I've been seeing the chiropractor and been doing acupuncture (moxibustion) to try to get him to flip but nothing has worked so far. I scheduled the version for 37 weeks but am not sure im going to go through with it. To be honest, I'm terrified of the procedure as I've heard it's very painful and the success rate isn't very good for first time moms. The doctor said it's 50/50 Chance that it will work. She also assured me that if they start to try it and it hurts too much, they'll stop immediately and I don't have to go through with another attempt. I'm okay with having a c section I just worry about the complications for future pregnancies since this is my first. I'm going to make a decision about the version at the very last minute. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"