Baby Showers

NBSR: Gross Second Birthday Invitation

So...we get this birthday invitation in the mail for DH's cousin's daughter. It's a little bi-fold card and on the one side it has all the normal party details and on the left side it has TWO paragraphs of handwritten tacky.

SUMMER CLOTHES--description of what size and type summer clothes they would like, including brands.

WINTER CLOTHES--description of what size and type winter clothes they would like, including brands.

"No toys please."

Um, I was kind of expecting a little registry card to fall out of the bottom. How did people become so tacky? Since when is this okay? Normally I would reach out to the mom and ask what size the child is or if she had any specific requests.

But being bombarded in this way...yuck. So gift-grabby and rude. To make it worse, DH's family is so wonderfully blessed and large that a birthday party or a baptism or a baby shower is a complete debacle with 30+ presents and 45-60 attendees, that is the close family. So they KNOW they are going to get all kinds of gifts even without asking. We all know she likes Target, etc. I'm sure her MIL is super embarrassed. If I pulled a stunt like that my MIL would call me up so fast crying I wouldn't know what to do, and my mother would spin in her grave.

BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
image    image   image

Re: NBSR: Gross Second Birthday Invitation

• Loading the player...
  • @tricia560 perfect! I think we need that puzzle!

@mandjs something electronic. maybe from leapfrog, that talks randomly, sings, etc.

image    image   image
  • tricia560 said:
    MandJS said:
    mistabinx said:
    I would be an asshole and buy a toy instead.

ETA: A toddler's drum set. Yes, that's what I would buy. Space-consuming and loud. Perfect!
    Not a drum set. Those only make noise when you play them. You need something that randomly makes noise ALL the time. That requires effort to turn off (if it even has an on/off switch).
    OOOOOh, we had (notice the had) a Melissa and Doug puzzle of barn yard animals that got set off whenever the little sensors got dark, in theory by puzzle pieces but actually just by it being in a dark room so you'd be walking around down stairs at night and hear this faint moooooooo out of nowhere.  Took a week to figure out what it was.  I should have saved it for the appropriate gift giving occasion....
    My thoughts exactly!  We have a few of those puzzles, worst day ever was when we lost one of the pieces.  For a month we just kept hearing, "O is for Olive" AHHHHHH! 

• MandJS said:

Buy the loudest, most obnoxious toy possible.  Be sure to order from some obscure website so they can't return it.

And OPEN it and put in the batteries. So that it's impossible to even regift.

Have it personalized and/or monogrammed if possible.

Oh I just love personalization!!

image    image   image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"