Trying to Get Pregnant

NTTGPR: Our couch sucks. Recommendations?

DH and I just bought a new home last month and are looking for a new couch. We like to lay on the couch together to watch movies since we don't have a TV in our room, but that is extremely uncomfortable on our current furniture. The seat is too narrow. Anyone have a super comfy couch that has an extra deep seat? Or know of any companies that custom make them to your liking? 

TTC #1 June 2014
BFP-7/15/14, CP-7/27/14

BFP-10/25/14, EDD-6/23/15 7/6/15

Re: NTTGPR: Our couch sucks. Recommendations?

• We specially bought a sectional couch with a big chaise end for cuddling on for that exact reason. Our old couch was too narrow to lay together comfortably.

~**~Me (27) <3 DH (30)~**~
    **Love = August 12, 2012**
    **Marriage = July 4, 2014**
    **Baby Carriage = TBD**

Anniversary
  • I really want a sectional but my living room isn't big enough. If you have the space, I'd recommend it. We had one growing up and we loved all laying on it for movie night and having our own space.
    Married to LOML: 8/14/12

TTC #1: Oct. 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • emilie818 we got our sectional from Macy's and love it! Great quality and not as expensive as some other stores (they are also marked down 10% right now). 

We have had our couch almost 7 years now and it has held up great with a dog and cat, has been easy to clean stains off of, comfy, big seats and looks pretty too!

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• We also recently bought a sectional with a chaise end for the cuddling factor (from Rooms to Go). Plus, those times when he's watching sports (read: jumping off the couch multiple times to yell at the TV), I've got a spot where I can lay and read and not be disturbed by his movements.
    Married to the love of my life since September 2013.
    TTC #1 since January 2014
    Met with RE Nov 2014: Cyst on left ovary. Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy 12/3 to remove cyst, endo, polyp, and fibroid
    12/14: Natural cycle = BFN
    1/15: Starting Femara for IUI #1

Chart Stalk Me
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Dog tickers
    TTGP January Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails
  • We bought ours from Crate and Barrel.  Microfiber, super comfortable - and I swear it turns into a twin size bed when you take off the cushions.
    July '15 January Siggy - snow fails
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker

• All these responses rock because they (Macy's, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Crate and Barrel) are the exact places we've been looking. Now I feel like whatever we choose from the above will be a good buy. I was especially looking at Macy's since we still have a few hundred dollars in gift cards from there leftover from the wedding.

@CharlieFox30 - That is one badass cuddle worthy looking sofa.

@Pickles4Prez - I'm all about buying local. It's the biggest reason I shop online as a last result. However, I'm on the Gulf Coast in Texas and we don't really have many choices of furniture stores in the area. The mom and pop ones we did have got ran out of business by a couple of larger stores. For that reason, the ones we do have are pretty overpriced. I'm about an hour from Houston, so we were hoping to find something there. Also, my DH wouldn't buy it unless it was made in the USA ('merican proud), so no choice there! 

@Mackalack - What style is your couch? Or the name of it, whatever you wanna call it! My number one on the list right now is from Crate and Barrel, but the nearest store is about an hour and a half from me and I refuse to buy without trying it out first.
    TTC #1 June 2014
    BFP-7/15/14, CP-7/27/14

• I guess I should mention, the living area in our home is really not big at all. Like, I've lived in apartments with bigger living rooms. That being said, a full sectional won't really work for us. We do however like the idea of the couch with the chaise lounge on the end, preferably one that is reversible for future room rearranging. 

Buttttt, if we find a couch deep enough, I'm totes cool with no chaise lounge, since we probably wouldn't need it.
    TTC #1 June 2014
    BFP-7/15/14, CP-7/27/14

• @sgarmand Lounge.  It's a great couch, and the only reason we don't use it right now is because it didn't work in our new house.
    July '15 January Siggy - snow fails
    image image
    Pregnancy Ticker

• silverandgraysilverandgray member
    edited October 2014
    sgarmand said:
    I guess I should mention, the living area in our home is really not big at all. Like, I've lived in apartments with bigger living rooms. That being said, a full sectional won't really work for us. We do however like the idea of the couch with the chaise lounge on the end, preferably one that is reversible for future room rearranging. 

Buttttt, if we find a couch deep enough, I'm totes cool with no chaise lounge, since we probably wouldn't need it.
    Definitely do consider the size of your space. We have a sectional in a smaller living room, which we bought because COMFY. However, it has so limited us in what we can do in the room, both in terms of arranging and when we have people over, that we now hate it and are getting rid of it. Just ordered a new regular sofa and are still looking for accent chairs for either side.

Edit: spelling
    No longer posting on The Bump due to the appalling misconduct of the staff and of its parent company, the XO Group. Four thousand  active, engaged members do not represent "a few bad apples" and we are not trolls.
  • You should look into getting a "chair and a half" with an ottoman. We had one in an apartment with minimal wall space. It was so comfortable and we both could fit. Everyone loved it when they came over! It's in our bonus room right now after we moved. I couldn't part with it.
  • we have an ikea sectional. The Kivik. nice deep seats. removable washable covers (dogs. child. drunk people). We can swap sides that the chaise is on or remove the chaise as a stand alone chair. one arm? no arms? can do. it's awesome.
  • Definitely do consider the size of your space. We have a sectional in a smaller living room, which we bought because COMFY. However, it has so limited us in what we can do in the room, both in terms of arranging and when we have people over, that we now hate it and are getting rid of it. Just ordered a new regular sofa and are still looking for accent chairs for either side.

Edit: spelling
    We originally had a matching couch and loveseat. It fit and was fine, but after taking the loveseat and moving it to the back room, me and DH were all

So now we're wanting to go with just a plain big ol' comfy couch and two chairs. Or, like RaeLynn suggested, maybe a chair and a half in place of the two separate chairs. 

However, I do have a really cool wingback chair made entirely out of bamboo that I'm not willing to part with. 
    TTC #1 June 2014
    BFP-7/15/14, CP-7/27/14

• We love our restoration hardware couch so much that we just ordered a second one. 

The leather stands up to our dog's abuse and their customer service has been awesome. (I thought they no longer sold our leather but they were able to look up ALL the details from our first order and it turns out it just has a different name now).

It is pricey, but worth it IMO. The only other downside is that it takes a LONG time for delivery since they custom make your order. We ordered the 2nd couch about 3 weeks ago and it is tentatively scheduled to arrive Dec 4th. 
    :-<
    Married 2006
    Surprise BFP Feb 2008 MC at 6w2d

TTC since May 2014       
    BFP! 10/28/14       EDD 7/5/15

BabyFetus Ticker http://ugc.theknot.com/3452225-original.gif

• Noooo @NachoBelley‌ I'm sorry! We're dealing with the same thing right now except the culprit here is Pottery Barn. Fx you get your console tomorrow!
    Married 2006
    Surprise BFP Feb 2008 MC at 6w2d

TTC since May 2014       
    BFP! 10/28/14       EDD 7/5/15

BabyFetus Ticker http://ugc.theknot.com/3452225-original.gif

• @beepity and @NachoBelley how far away does RH and PB deliver? I'm about 80 miles from each of them. Didn't know if that would be an issue.. 

I absolutely love RH, and yes although everything there is pretty pricey, the quality is almost always good. Same for PB.
    TTC #1 June 2014
    BFP-7/15/14, CP-7/27/14

• sgarmand said:

DH and I just bought a new home last month and are looking for a new couch. We like to lay on the couch together to watch movies since we don't have a TV in our room, but that is extremely uncomfortable on our current furniture. The seat is too narrow. Anyone have a super comfy couch that has an extra deep seat? Or know of any companies that custom make them to your liking? 

Whatever you do DO NOT get a lovesac. We bought one and it sucked balls! We got one from urban home and we are obsessed for the same reason you are looking for a couch, to lay on. It's deep set and made out of synthetic down. It's a tan/brown color. It's amazing. We can actually spoon on it like a bed and still have room for our cats. I'm 5"2 and my husband is 6"5 if that gives you an idea of the size
  • We got a sectional from lazyboy recently. Pricy, but hella comfy. Our house is also pretty small so we only got three pieces - a chaise, a middle recliner and an end recliner. The chaise is as wide as a single bed and almost feels like a bed when it's reclined. It also has pillow arms. I love it.

Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 30, DH: 30, Married Since 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"