January 2015 Moms
Options

IV Iron infusion

Not looking for any medical advice. Just wondering if anyone has had to do this and if they'd like to share their personal experiences with me.

How long did you feel like it took to help YOU?

What typically happens at your appointment? How often do you go?

Have you ever had any reactions to the infusion?

And anything else you'd like to share. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: IV Iron infusion

• Options
    I've never had it personally, but I used to work in infusion and we gave it often. Most patients said they felt it working within 1-2 weeks. We were really good about pre-medicating where I worked, so rarely did anyone have any reactions. The worst I would see would be flushing and occasionally an elevated heart rate that would usually resolve with some Benadryl. A lot of our patients said there would be no way they could function without the infusion- it really changed their quality of life. Hope that was helpful!
  • Options
    Oh- as for frequency, we had weekly and monthly infusions, depending on the severity and which type of iron was ordered. Typically infusions last an hour, but there were some four hour infusions too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your input!!! I'm supposed to start them soon and I know they will help, but medical ppl are the worst patients. Lol. I'm dreading it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I hear that! I drive my doc crazy :) It really seems to be a good thing- we had quite a few pregnant patients come through (it was a cancer center, but we did everything). Just be a stickler about your pre-meds!
  • Options
    @nursemarie925 How honest and real of an answer do you want? I only ask because some people post these questions and are just looking for reassurance and might not want to hear the reality of some peoples' experiences. I've done them for 15 years.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I'm a nurse, so the truth doesn't scare me much. Lol. I've never done or seen them, so I'd like true feedback.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I started getting them every year from 1998 to 2013. 

How long did you feel like it took to help YOU?
    Weeks. It's not like you're just adding the iron to your system and everything goes back to normal. I didn't feel better until I made new blood and had the iron incorporated into the cells. I would like to think that when your iron stores get depleted, you start to feel it. However, I lived with ferritin levels in the single digits and decimal regions for so long, I wouldn't have noticed it. Keep in mind, my anemia is severe. My hemoglobin before infusion would average a 6 and my ferritin would be less than 1. 

What typically happens at your appointment? How often do you go?
    First hour, I get a steroid infusion. After that, I get a shot of benadryl. Then the 4 hour infusion followed by a 2 hour observation.

I would go once a week for 8 weeks every summer.

Have you ever had any reactions to the infusion?
    I went into anaphylactic shock twice. Fortunately, a different form of the infusion was introduced and I haven't had any problems with that kind. I get sleepy from the benadryl and the steroids keep me up all night, but that's about it. I have to eat as soon as I get home and then take a nap.

Feel free to ask me anything else I didn't cover. 

• Options
    Thank you @2000cougar‌. I def appreciate the info. I'm not looking forward to the infusions, but I know that I need them and will do whatever I have to in order to stay/get healthy for my family and little ones. If I think of anything else, I will def send you a pm :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I hope yours go smoothly. Most people seem to do really well with them. I was in that rare 2% that have problems. It will all be worth it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"