June 2014 Moms

UO Thursday

Anyone got any?

I don't, but I like to jump in on other people's drama, soooooo.....

image        image

Re: UO Thursday

• This has been thrown around on the parenting board, but...

I still ask people to wash their hands or sanitize before handling my baby. Sure, some people grab at him before I have the chance to pose my request, but more often than not I side eye people who touch my LOs face without cleaning up first.

I don't care if he's going on 5 months and his immunity is high.

Likewise, I hate when people say "oh just wait til you have your second one..." It's so annoying!
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• I've only started asking people to wash up before holding LO in the last month or so... there were some cases of the enterovirus in Boston and it made me nutty.

image        image

• Loading the player...
  •  Likewise, I hate when people say "oh just wait til you have your second one..." It's so annoying!

*stuck in the box* 

This is really annoying!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I remembered another: DS1 is potty training (ie. we haven't left the house in a week). We do the whole m&m thing when he goes in the potty... there have been a few times when I gave D a m&m after an unsuccessful trip to the bathroom to 'encourage' him. According to my sister this will totally mess up the process - I *may have* told her to shut it!
  • I'm pretty lax when it comes to sanitizing everything etc. DS will be at my moms and find a dog toy and put that in his mouth. It's hard to be too fussy about germs when that happens all the time.
    And then he takes his hands and outs them in LOs mouth.
  • @saltypearl - such a tragic event. While I think it's fitting to celebrate someone who has saved others, I agree that counseling should also be offered to them. Seeing as PTSD is on the rise with military & public safety (police, fire, emt) it would surprise me if he hasn't been approached already. Thinking of you!
  • @saltypearl as a fellow Canadian, 100% agreed. I also think the media is looking into his past at rcmp and parliament too much - as a distraction from the tragedy - but I get why,

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My understanding (at least in the US) is that counseling is mandatory whenever a police officer is involved in a shooting- and more intensely if it's fatal. I'd be really really surprised if the soldier wasn't getting mandatory counseling. I do think they deserve to be called a hero though. I've not followed the story as closely as I'd have liked but I think it is heroic to stop someone from doing further harm.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • I like the new green apple skittles better than the lime.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker image
  • Now that the girls are playing on the ground more and will soon be mobile, I'm asking guests to remove their shoes in our house. Apparently that makes me a meanie to some people, but the ground is gross and I'm not a germ freak by any means.

• My only thing with the floor is my dog - he tracks in more dirt than anyone! So it would be pointless. Although I have asked guests to take their shoes off on really crappy days, and DH told me I was rude.

image        image

• Anyone else remember an epic fight in TTGP about this last summer? I do, lol.

image        image

• lest12 said:
    My only thing with the floor is my dog - he tracks in more dirt than anyone! So it would be pointless. Although I have asked guests to take their shoes off on really crappy days, and DH told me I was rude.
    I know what you mean about the dog. Mine lick the girls' faces. I'm a walking contradiction lol.

• Me too, @katekat8721‌! Buddy licks his face, his feet, his hands. But I have bottle of hand sanitizer in every visible line of sight through the whole house, lol.

image        image

• I almost always wear shoes in my house, usually flip flops. Right now we are renting and have been since we got married so I'm not quite sure what is on/in the carpet. Even though we vacuumed and shampooed the carpet when we moved in, I can't bring myself to walk around barefoot all the time. When we finish building our house I may have to make the "no shoes on in the house rule."
  • I had no idea that Canadians are so anti-shoes in house!

I grew up in a "shoes on" house, but am now married to a man from a "no-shoe" culture.

Half of our downstairs is tile and we will wear shoes in this area, but shoes on carpet are a big no-no. 

Of course, we live in SoCal so there is no real weather to worry about…not a lot of "tracking in" weather related ickiness.
  • No shoes in the house here, either. Our families act annoyed but I don't care. Especially, now with a LO. Shoes are dirty!
    First time mommy-to-be
    E.D.D. June 1, 2014

• CAMag said:

I do a lot of home visits for my job and when I take off my shoes, people sometimes laugh and ask me if I'm Canadian. After 11 yrs in the US, I still can't bring myself to walk into someone's home with shoes on.

I do home visits too and will remove my shoes if the family asks or it's a nice house. But if the house is gross, I won't offer or ask because I don't want my bare feet walking on who knows what. I don't care personally who wears shoes at home or not.
  • No shoes in the house for sure! I have always lived in places where it is snowy or rainy so if you keep your shoes on in my house you better be prepared to mop my floors. Shoes off dammit. I honestly didn't know that this was a thing, I always take my shoes off when I enter someone's house.
  • I live in the states... although most people think Vermont is part of Canada. I was always taught to remove my shoes when going into someones house.

Although I hate shoes, and socks and so does my husband. I think DD is taking after us. She tries to kick off her socks and if I cover her feet with a blanket in the carseat or RnP she kicks her feet out from under it. At night I sleep with one foot out from under the comforter for temperature equalization lol

Engaged: 7/19/09 Married: 9/19/10
    BFP: 10/14/13 EDD: 6/16/14 DD Arrived: 6/21/14

June '14 Siggy Challenge: Warm Places

• Oh dear. As an apartment dweller, I go so far as to take shoes off on a mat outside the door and leave them in the hallway.

#Canada

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @CAMag- That's such a good idea! Is it ever awkward taking that moment to put on the socks when you arrive?  I would think it would be most awkward meeting a family for the first time.  I never wear socks, except for in the winter, so I will keep this in mind! Thanks! 
  • @CAMag‌ and @Brittnic531‌, I live in canada and have trained myself to bring socks places. No one has ever thought it weird or given me a strange look.

I don't know who started it, but I also HATE the new green skittles!!!!
  • miami3022 said:
    Shoes in the house really irritate me as well. DF walked in with his work boots the other day and walked right on the blanket that DD was laying on for tummy time. Grrrr..
    Ugh! So gross. Huge pet peeve of mine. That and the bath mat. I don't know why people think it's ok to step on it with their shoes, but they do. I always put it up over the edge of the tub when guests come over, to prevent that. My clean feet go on that, people!
  • I'm from AZ, but now live in MI. When I first came here I thought it was so strange that everyone always took their shoes off. Before I came here, I wore my shoes almost all day long (I think lol). I almost can't remember not taking my shoes off before coming inside. And now, I'm the one side-eyeing my husband when he is sitting around in his work boots. I don't require it of my visitors, but we don't have many. I have noticed, most people follow suit though. I did when I was new to MI-- I think it's the norm here.

@MommyWaldron‌ It is the norm here in Michigan. I think it is because of the snow and wet weather we have.
    BFP #1 April 28, 2009 - miscarriage 5/17/2009
    BFP #2 March 21, 2010 CP 3/28/2010
    BFP # 3 August 1, 2010 baby boy April 7, 2011
    BFP #4 February 9, 2013 missed miscarriage @ 15 weeks on May 1st , 2013.
    fingers crossed BFP #5 10/03/2013 due June 10, 2014. Unplanned C-Section on May 29, 2014. Welcome Grant!
  • I'm American but I also don't understand the wearing-shoes-indoors thing, other than slippers or something. My FIL is the worst, too - he walks very heavily anyway but when he stomps around with his sneakers on… it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Sometimes I just say "going somewhere?" and he smiles this goofy smile and is like "oh because of my sneakers?"

Buffalo is practically Canada ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lest12 said:

My only thing with the floor is my dog - he tracks in more dirt than anyone! So it would be pointless. Although I have asked guests to take their shoes off on really crappy days, and DH told me I was rude.

I'd say if people wear their shoes in your house on a really crappy day they are the rude ones, not you. Yeah you can expect some stuff to come in with shoes on any given day but that doesn't mean you need water, snow or slush traipsed in.

image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • I'm kinda split 50/50 on this one. When going to someone's house, I typically check their feet and if their shoes are off, I take mine off. If theirs are on, I leave mine on. At my house, I start the day barefoot and stay that way unless I leave. If I'm out about and then come home, I usually keep mine on until I get settled...but once they're off, they stay off. But let's face it- I'm in KY, and we don't wear shoes here anyway :)
  • hampire said:
    I was born and raised in West Virginia. We don't wear shoes outside let alone inside. :p
    Northern MD in the country, but same way. DH is from right outside DC and is completely weirded out by it.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I honestly would find it weird if you walked in and took your shoes off, with the exception of close family and terrible weather.

image        image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"