October 2013 Moms

Vent/randoms

I have a vent, so I hope you don't mind if I start a thread...

Background: I have an "as needed" position as a hospital staff nurse. This means I get to choose when and how much I work. I still need to work 3 or 4 days per week (which is 36 - 48 hours) in order to pay our bills. We pay for DS to be in full-time daycare so I have the freedom to work when I need to. Tuesday I kept him home from DC and spent the day with him and we had an afternoon play date. We celebrated his birthday Saturday.

My vent: yesterday was DS's birthday. We got him up, put him in his birthday outfit (a onesie with suspenders and a bow tie that said "birthday suit") took his picture, and I took him to daycare and went to work. I was very excited it was his birthday, so I told everyone at work and showed them his picture.

Every. Single. Person I told said, "well, what are you doing here?"

I'm sorry, what? Why did I come to work today? Because I have a job and need to support my family! It felt very much like I was getting working mommy guilt thrown at me (and FTR: I have no working mommy guilt, and I do not think that my 1 year old cares that I spent all day Tuesday with him instead of all day Wednesday). I checked with my husband, and not one person at his office asked him why he was working on his son's birthday.

I know this seems trivial, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Soooo....any randoms or vents?
imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vent/randoms

• Did you happen to read about Jennifer Garner's speech the other day?  If not, you should read it.  She talks about something very similar https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/jennifer-garner-elle-women-in-hollywood-award-pizza-131818488.html

@deedee1017‌ , thanks for posting! I loved that, especially the skinny jeans part!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • @baconface‌ , @cdhaslag‌ , you are both incorrect; you are both thin and I'm sure skinny jeans look fine on you.
    imageimage
  • muffyvonmuffmuffyvonmuff member
    edited October 2014
    Love my skinnys, Im not skinny.  Funny, current fashion can only be for thin people?  :-/

Last night at 430 am every smoke detector in my house died simultaneously.  Terrible way to wake up.
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• baconface said:

Guise, I wasn't saying you couldn't or shouldn't wear skinny jeans, I just prefer mine boot cut to take away from my tree trunk legs.  I hate that skinny cut is the only option every time i try to find jeans.

True - I also like boot cut and it was difficult to find a pair recently.

Same here! I wear a lot of boots during the winter and skinny jeans just don't work with them.
  • DS woke up with a cold yesterday :( so he will miss his cousins birthday party Saturday. They are a week apart so it makes me sad.

• That article was weird.  ::gets pen and paper, scribbles:: Pizza...connoisseur.  ::adds to resumé::
    The shot of her "eating" pizza?  Why?  To prove to me you really know your shit about pizza?  or that you actually eat it?   Back off my wardrobe, too.  

The only valid point in that article was the differences between a celebrity man and celebrity woman.  She gets asked about her domestic affairs, and he gets asked about boobs.  Seems about right.

• That article was weird.  ::gets pen and paper, scribbles:: Pizza...connoisseur.  ::adds to resumé::
    The shot of her "eating" pizza?  Why?  To prove to me you really know your shit about pizza?  or that you actually eat it?   Back off my wardrobe, too.  

The only valid point in that article was the differences between a celebrity man and celebrity woman.  She gets asked about her domestic affairs, and he gets asked about boobs.  Seems about right.
    Yeah that's all I was referring to.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• here's my random/vent/sads:

october has been a really rough month for me on timehop. timehop didn't exist, or wasn't as popular last year, so i didn't see it...but october was the month that my furbaby was diagnosed with cancer, and i eventually lost him...every day, i get the timehop reminders to look at it..and i see the happiness of being very pregnant last year, and having a baby..but then it shows 3 years ago, too, which is the play-by-plays of my loves sickness. i know coming up very soon, i'm going to see my post that says he is "cancer free", but then 2 weeks later, it came back and took him from me. i don't want to miss out on all my posts about my pregnancy, so i have to check it every day, but i see the ones of my babydog, too.

it's been almost 3 years since i lost my dog, and i'm still not over it. at all. the pain still stings.

• Herefishy87Herefishy87 member
    edited October 2014
    DS1 turned off our deep freezer that we keep in the garage. We noticed it last night because all the water leaking out all over the floor. Everything in there is ruined; meat, frozen veggies, cheese, ice cream cake, chicken nuggets, frozen turkey. I'm not happy at all. Thankfully there is not as much as normal in there but still, it's a lot of wasted money! I could cry.

• My husband was contacted by a recruiter for Google. Would him working there ruin our relationship? I think it would be a cool job but I don't like the idea of him working nonstop.

Isn't google one of the best places to work?

They have a ton of perks (free meals all day every day, on site facilities for everything imaginable, all kinds of crazy stuff) but I have heard it is basically so that you never gave to leave the campus and can work longer hours. That even on vacation you are "expected" to work. Weekends, nights, etc.

• jennlin said:

here's my random/vent/sads:

october has been a really rough month for me on timehop. timehop didn't exist, or wasn't as popular last year, so i didn't see it...but october was the month that my furbaby was diagnosed with cancer, and i eventually lost him...every day, i get the timehop reminders to look at it..and i see the happiness of being very pregnant last year, and having a baby..but then it shows 3 years ago, too, which is the play-by-plays of my loves sickness. i know coming up very soon, i'm going to see my post that says he is "cancer free", but then 2 weeks later, it came back and took him from me. i don't want to miss out on all my posts about my pregnancy, so i have to check it every day, but i see the ones of my babydog, too.

it's been almost 3 years since i lost my dog, and i'm still not over it. at all. the pain still stings.

I'm sorry :( ((hugs))
  • My husband was contacted by a recruiter for Google. Would him working there ruin our relationship? I think it would be a cool job but I don't like the idea of him working nonstop.
    They have a ton of perks (free meals all day every day, on site facilities for everything imaginable, all kinds of crazy stuff) but I have heard it is basically so that you never gave to leave the campus and can work longer hours. That even on vacation you are "expected" to work. Weekends, nights, etc.
    that's terrible.  nope.  not worth it.

google wants you to basically live there. they provide fresh, made to order organic food..and your family can come eat there a few times a month...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I love me a skinny anything! Especially if it's stretchy :)

@PinkDahLia44‌ I wouldn't worry about those people commenting on why you are there on his bday .... People are so narrow minded and judgmental. I am sure your baby is happy to be with you ANY day. I also think it would have to depend on who that comment is coming from & even then I hate feeling like I need to explain my actions.

@jennlin‌ in sorry about your timehop reminders about your pooch :( that would give me the sads too ... I post pics of my dog very often and I know when she's gone I will be a wreck , she's my 1st dog and she is so loving and loyal.

My Random :

I did a freelance job a month and a half ago and still haven't gotten paid! I hate having to send reminders that they are past due .. But I have no choice. This is why freelance can suck :/ I even made a revision which is part of our deal 2 wks ago in good faith and didn't ask questions.
    < image
  • cdhaslag said:
    My husband was contacted by a recruiter for Google. Would him working there ruin our relationship? I think it would be a cool job but I don't like the idea of him working nonstop.
    that's terrible.  nope.  not worth it.
    My BFF from college works for Google fiber and averages 75+ hours a week. Her schedule is nonstop madness!

:-O
  • Whoa, guise, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the skinny jeans comment. I just thought it was an amusing way for Jennifer garner to end her speech. There are many, many women who look great in skinny jeans; I am not one of those women. Let's just call that my UO today: I don't like skinny jeans.

I also loved her whole speech, esp the part about the double standard.

@Weljadraak‌, I think the focus on the pizza was commenting on how, when she was expected to be super buff and skinny (a la Alias) she could never eat pizza, and now that she is playing "mom" roles, she is able to eat what she wants and be happy with her natural body type. This is what I took from it.
    imageimage

@PinkDahLia44‌ I wouldn't worry about those people commenting on why you are there on his bday .... People are so narrow minded and judgmental. I am sure your baby is happy to be with you ANY day. I also think it would have to depend on who that comment is coming from & even then I hate feeling like I need to explain my actions.

@jennlin‌ in sorry about your timehop reminders about your pooch :( that would give me the sads too ... I post pics of my dog very often and I know when she's gone I will be a wreck , she's my 1st dog and she is so loving and loyal.

My Random :

I did a freelance job a month and a half ago and still haven't gotten paid! I hate having to send reminders that they are past due .. But I have no choice. This is why freelance can suck :/ I even made a revision which is part of our deal 2 wks ago in good faith and didn't ask questions.

When this happens to me, I send a nice note saying that if they are having trouble paying I can work out payments/take a credit card. Usually shames them into paying :p
  • IG handle, "youdidnteatthat"

My Random :

When this happens to me, I send a nice note saying that if they are having trouble paying I can work out payments/take a credit card. Usually shames them into paying :p
    This reminded me of something: I get annoyed when I am looking into something and I ask the price of said thing and they tell me and I balk a little so they tell me, "if you can't afford it all up front, we have some payment plans we can look into for you." It's not that I can't afford to pay you, I just am not going to pay your exorbitant prices for said thing!

This does not apply to you guys above, when I'm sure you and your clients have agreed on a set price and payment time frame for the work ahead of time. Just this post reminded me of it.
    imageimage
  • heads up: free shipping at target.com today.

and i was going to buy something, but i refuse to buy it now, because *everybody* gets free shipping...i normally get free shipping bc i have a target card. i'll wait until tomorrow to buy my toothpaste thankyouverymuch.

• jennlin said:
    heads up: free shipping at target.com today.

and i was going to buy something, but i refuse to buy it now, because *everybody* gets free shipping...i normally get free shipping bc i have a target card. i'll wait until tomorrow to buy my toothpaste thankyouverymuch.
    I was slightly annoyed at the free shipping for the holidays too!! I was like ahem! What do I get for my red card?

• It is a damed if you do, damned if you don't thing. I took off the afternoon (came in early and worked 6 hours) of A's birthday and I got major eyerolls. 
  • jennlin said:

I was slightly annoyed at the free shipping for the holidays too!! I was like ahem! What do I get for my red card?
    waaaaiit. is it all season long? i need more toothpaste before the end of the holidays!

• jennlin said:
    jennlin said:

waaaaiit. is it all season long? i need more toothpaste before the end of the holidays!
    I guess you're just going to have to drive to target and buy toothpaste. Stick it to the man, @jennlin!
    imageimage
  • jennlin said:
    jennlin said:

I guess you're just going to have to drive to target and buy toothpaste. Stick it to the man, @jennlin!
    amazon prime. lol. but ferrealz. the disney princess toothpaste is on sale, and my daughter needs it hahahaahaha.

• I'm home with a sick baby :( Daycare texted me that she threw up after breakfast. We waited til she had lunch and she just kept fussing. Hasn't thrown up again, but the sitter said she was just laying on the floor saying "mama" over and over again! Makes sense that she doesn't feel good bc she was up like five times between 3:30-5am....which means I've been up since 3:30. Nap time for mama too!
  • I'm a lurker and as such wouldn't have made an entire post but I do have a vent so I'm thrilled to see this! Lol
    I'm having family drama which is giving me the sads and mads. My sister is sucking as an aunt and I'm upset with her but don't want to talk to her because I'm too "negative and opinionated" and she completely shuts down when I talk to her. She also just got engaged which I think is a little lame considering it's WAY too fast on multiple fronts. My mom is apparently on her side and we got in an argument about it this week where she made backhanded comments about me not supporting my sister and prioritizing my IL's over my sister, neither of which are founded. I hate having to be the breadwinner in my family and having to be away from DS. Drop off in the AM always sucks but today was particularly sad. SO is going through work changes that will change work hours which is leaving things very TBD and stressful and my daycare is retiring and I can't quite find a new one I like. The anniversary of my dad's death is this month which is always depressing. And I may be getting a cold. Major vent. I'm just hanging on until some of this stuff passes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"