Cloth Diapering
Options

new to modern CD- intro

Hi! I am FTM due Jan 15 with twins :-) :-)
DH has 3 grown children already- youngest just started college. I'm 42, DH is 49.

26 years ago, my family CD'd at home with my brother. Still in prefolds, pins, and rubber pants- with a system of 5 gallon buckets to presoak and prep for the washer....

I told DH I wanted to CD and he said I would be on my own with that.... I bought some diapers AIO to show him it won't be that difficult.
And now I am losing my part of our income- and becoming a SAHM. I think he will be more amenable.
I will have 72 diapers (mostly one size) and about 80 liners/ pocket stuffers I think.
I also bought a lot of disposable flushable bamboo liners. So, hopefully, they will work for us when the time comes :-)
Some of the lots I bought had diaper bag/liners with them.
I am sure I will have a ton of questions...I look forward to your words of wisdom/ sage advice. Thanks in advance...
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: new to modern CD- intro

• Options
    Congratulations on your upcoming twins!
    I think a fair number of us would say that the old school diapers like prefolds, flats, and wool are still great options.  Nice to have cute PUL lined covers instead of rubber pants though lol.

• Options
    I'm not opposed to prefold, flats and covers.... I just need it to be easy for DH :-) In fact, I did register for some.... nobody bought them for us though. I might get some with my completion coupons.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your twins! MH's uncle has 3-year-old twins, and I recently got to spend some time with them. The bond bn them is so sweet!

• Options
    Congrats on your twins and welcome!  FYI, the OS diapers won't fit newborns.  They won't fit until they are about 10 lbs.  Prefolds or flats and covers are an economical and efficient way to diaper until then. 
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    TJ1979 said:

Congrats on your twins and welcome!  FYI, the OS diapers won't fit newborns.  They won't fit until they are about 10 lbs.  Prefolds or flats and covers are an economical and efficient way to diaper until then. 

This. And if you're looking for a more "DH friendly" option, you can look at Green Mountain Diapers workhorses (newborn size). You can get snaps or snapless and use either pins or a snappi. These were my favorite for middle of the night changes :-)

And congrats on your twins! What a exciting adventure!
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! Twins are a blast. OS will not fit them for probably at least 8 weeks or so. Newborn workhorses with covers worked great for my kids and my non-CD-enthused DH was on board with them too. Good luck!

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

• Options
    I am curious about the 5 gallon bucket system to soak and prep the diapers for washing bit......what kind of wash routine was used then? I think this aspect is the biggest difference between then and now.....I used prefolds with plastic pants on my 22 year old for a while (diaper service washed) and they went into a dry pail even then. Used prefolds with PUL covers on ds2 last year when he was a nb and the diapering part was the same to me.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    @PipSqueak0313‌, my mom always set it up... I could ask her for specifics. First step, get rid of solids in the toilet, then to a bucket for presoak. I think maybe three buckets? Next one with some bleach, then another rinse, then regular was cycle and hang out to dry. I think I remember a longer line than 3 buckets with my sister- she was 4 1/2 years behind me, so fuzzy... probably because we had a 1977 model washer, so not a lot of options for extra rinse cycles, etc.

and everyone, thanks for the welcome! We are very excited about the twins :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Rest assured you won't need a 5 bucket system now a days :)  Prefolds and covers are a great option for the new born days :) Your OS stash will have to wait for a while, especially with twins you tend to be smaller in the earlier days. 

Welcome to the board and congrats on your babies

Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards