Multiples

Any floor RNs out there- 12 hour shift?!

Hi Ladies-

New to the twin world.... just found out this week (7wks) that I am expecting twins.  Not to put the carriage in front of the horse or anything, but I am just wondering how many of you twin mommies out there are floor nurses who work 12 hours shift.  I am fortunate (in some instances) to work in the NICU- so there is not a lot of heavy patient lifting! and we tend to let our babes sleep, so there is some downtime to sit down a bit.  HOWEVER....i'm just wondering how long you all were able to continue working 12 hours shift while being pregnant with twins!

Thanks in advance!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Any floor RNs out there- 12 hour shift?!

• I work 12 hour shifts. I had the doctor write a note, no pt transport and off my feet for 15 minutes every 2 hours. Before that on busy shifts I was contracting. But as long as I get enough water and get occasional feet up, all is well. I also wore compression stockings to keep swelling down and a belly band for support was essential to getting through the shift comfortably. Everybody is different so your experience may be a lot different than mine. But if you start having difficulties, let your doctor know. :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 29w5d. Shifts are typically 8 hours but I'm usually there an extra 2-3 just finishing paperwork. I'm at a newer hospital, that's desperate for RN's so I'm helping to cover hours. I'll work 2-12's this weekend and then 2-16's (doubles) next week. Other than GD, I haven't had any issues and I'm taking advantage of the situation. I'm due at the end of December and if all continues to go well, I'll slow it down come December. My OB has no activity restrictions on me right now and I figure the more active I am, the better. I do wear a belly support band and I find that is does help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @minirella.  I'm hoping all will go well- of course its very early and hard to tell.  I'll have to look into a belly support band as i start to grow!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The sooner up you reduce your hours the better.my boss offered 2 8's and 1 12 at about 16 weeks. It did help me feel better. I had surgery for twin twin transfusion at 20 weeks and went out after that.
  • I'm a trauma ICU RN but will be transferring back to my old job in the ER full time (did this to get benefits, bad timing I know) we do mostly 12hr shifts and it's constant on your feet in ED. My doctor told me to plan on cutting hours/modifying at 24 weeks. I'm only 13w 3d now and already very tired easily. Should be interesting to see how the next few weeks go!
  • I'm on the floor and work 2-8's and 2-12's each week. I work with a wonderful crew & they are doing all of my "heavy lifting" when needed. I don't have any restrictions at this time but my doc says plan on some light duty at some point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"