September 2014 Moms

WWYD- large gatherings

We're going home for Thanksgiving this year and my ILs want to have an Open House for us to see all our friends and for everyone to meet the LO. I'm leaning toward saying no just because it's a situation where people will want to sit/chat/play pass-the-baby, there could potentially be a lot of people that show up (we both grew up there so we have a lot of friends in the area, plus DH's parents would invite their friends since they'd be hosting the open house), and it's cold/flu season. LO will be 2 months (9.5 weeks to be exact) at that point. Am I being overly cautious to want to turn it down? When would you be ok with a pass-the-baby party? Also, anyone have suggestions on how to politely say thanks but no thanks to an unwanted party? The only pro on my pro/con list to having the open house is that it would make it easy to see a bunch of friends we normally wouldn't have time to see in a very quick and busy trip home.

image Baby Girl born September 23, 2014

Re: WWYD- large gatherings

• My sister is getting married in 2 weeks and I figure LO will be passed around there quite a bit. I'm kind of nervous about it but since I'm the Matron of Honor, I won't be able to be around him all the time to censor who holds/who doesn't. I'm hoping DH and my in-laws will be the only ones who hold him the majority of the time. 

Could you just wear your LO most of the time? Or you could use an excuse like "LO's been really fussy lately/spitting up a lot/I think he/she is coming down with something" to try to deter people from holding the baby. You could also just be straight forward and say that you're not comfortable with other people holding LO at this time. It's a tough situation to be in...  :-/ I'd like to think that most resonable adults would be understanding. 

TTC #1 Since October 2012
    DX PCOS May 2013
    Clomid 50-150mg- No Response
    Moved to RE October 2013
    Nov. 2013: IUI #1 Letrozole + Ovidrel = BFN
    Dec. 2013: IUI #2 Letrozole + Ovidrel= BFP on 1/8/2014 !! EDD 9/17/2014
    Beta #1 (12 dpo): HCG 27, Progesterone 15 (starting on supplements)
    Beta #2 (15 dpo): HCG 297, Progesterone 29
    Beta #3 (17 dpo): HCG 667, Progesterone 34
    1st Ultrasound 1/28 (6 weeks + 1) Baby measuring exactly as it should, HB 118!
    2nd Ultrasound 2/5 Baby measuring 7w4d, HB 133. Everything looks perfect!
    3rd Ultrasound 4/29 (A/S) Our Baby BOY is measuring perfectly and everything looked great! HB160
    Diagnosed with Pre-E at 36 weeks, placed on bed rest, induction schedule for 37 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 on 7/30/15 EDD 4/7/16 MC @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3 on 7/23/16 EDD 3/30/16
  • My mom is having an open house for my grandmas birthday thanksgiving weekend. I plan on using my ergo so people won't really be able to hold/touch the baby.

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Loading the player...
  • Another vote for wearing baby! That way people can look and still ooooh and ahhhh but not touch!

• I took DD to a baby shower last weekend and only 3 or 4 people actually asked to hold her, which I was fine with. I say go for it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• I'd just be honest and decline the party. I'm visiting home for thanksgiving too and opting to just have people come over for a quick visit one on one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Go! We were at a giant engagement party last week and really only my close family even asked to hold him. Agree that a carrier is a great deterrent if you're not comfortable with randoms holding LO.

• Thanks ladies! I'll be discussing with DH (since it's his parents wanting to do this) and if we decide to go ahead with it, I'll be sure to have my k'tan on hand.

image Baby Girl born September 23, 2014

• We went to my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago and only close family held DD. We were stopped a lot for people to see her but no one else asked to hold her. We had a plan ahead of time though that only my parents and grandma would hold her because we weren't going to play pass the baby all evening.
  • I declined having a meet the baby party and I'm secretly glad that we also won't be able to make my IL's Thanksgiving this year. I'm not generally super concerned with taking her places but a party where people will be expecting to hold her is too much for me in the middle of flu season.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Im in a similar predicament with Thanksgiving. My MIL is throwing a huge get together. DH works Thanksgiving, and I'm expected to bring LO by myself to meet a bunch of distant relatives in the middle of cold and flu season. I'm leaning toward coming up with an excuse not to go.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would definitely wear the baby if it's something you decide to do. I would require anyone holding him to wash and/or sanitize their hands because of cold/flu season. But in all honesty, if your getting on a plane, he will already be pretty exposed to viruses. When my kids were little (a few months to 3yrs) we flew a lot and they usually ended up with a cold after a flight. There isn't really any good way to
    Avoid it on a plane.
  • OMG - that would be my worst nightmare with this being cold and flu season and that terrible respiratory virus going around.  I would decline.

• We had an open house when DS was 5 weeks old. He was actually going through a growth spurt, so I was feeding him most of the party. Most people don't really want to hold babies and/or won't ask to unless you offer the baby. I agree that wearing the baby or just hold the baby and if anyone asks to hold LO, ask them to wash their hands first, then stay close so they don't pass the baby to someone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"