Baby Names

How would you pronounce Roisin

If you saw this name how would you pronounce it?
Wondering if I use it will my baby girl have to correct everybody all the time?

Re: How would you pronounce Roisin

• Rosheen. But I'm somewhat familiar with irish pronunciation

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• I would have guessed Roy-zin, but I had a feeling that it was an Irish name, so I knew I was probably wrong.  I think that your daughter would get her name mispronounced a lot, but that it's an easy fix.  I have an uncommon name for Americans, and I have to explain it all of the time.  It's really not that big of a deal for me.  I say go for it if you love it.

• Loading the player...
  • Roy-sin. It's not an Irish name I'm remotely familiar with (but now I know).

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Roe-Sheen.

But every person I know named Roisin is called Rosie.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Roy-sin rhymes with poison. That's just a guess.
  • I would say it Ro(w)-sheen (ro as in go go) but that is because of the part of Ireland my family is from. 
    You also here Raw-sheen and Rosh-een (which are the more northern pronounciations).

They are all correct it is just down to accent 
    Oh and in Irish you only get the final -ee- sound with a fada on on the second i - but I guess if you aren't in an area where diacritics are used you could omit them and still say it correctly

• Having never heard it, I might guess rose-een or roy-seen. I would never have guessed ROSH-een
  • I also have zero familiarity with this, so i would pronounce it Roy-zin, and i might do a double take thinking it was supposed to be raisin. That's from a total outsider, non-irish perspective! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ro-sheen. But I used to live in Ireland.

Funny story, first time I saw hoisin sauce I was living in Dublin and thought it was ho-sheen because of Roisin and Oisin.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • TIL that it's pronounced Ro-sheen and is an Irish girls' name. 

Before today, if I saw it on a class list or resume, I would assume it was ROY-sin rhymes with poison and that it was a made-up or seriously old fashioned boys' name. 
  • My BFF just named DD2 Roisin and they have no problems correcting people. Depends on if you're going to be annoyed with it or not. Love the name!!
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Roy-zin, for sure. I had no idea what the actual pronunciation was/is.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• I would've guessed Roy-zin.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I would say Roy-zin but I'm not familiar with the Irish pronunciation.
  • I'm not familiar with this name or its Irish background. That said, I would first think "Rah-zin."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"