January 2015 Moms
Options

Sip & See...

Is anyone having one of these? I am a STM not planning on having a shower or sprinkle. However, my mom asked me if I would be interested in this. I won't be expecting gifts or anything, more just a gathering of friends and family to meet the baby. My only hesitation is this would likely take place in Feb which is right in the heart of cold season. Is that crazy? I would hope people would just not come if  they aren't feeling well! 

Re: Sip & See...

• Options
    Could you have it a little later ?  Say in March or early April ?
  • Options
    I thought about it but had the same hesitation as you for cold season.

I think I'm good with seeing family and any close friends one at a time if they want to visit or we have a gtg to go to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Could you have it a little later ?  Say in March or early April ?
    Yeah maybe in March like right before I go back to work! 
  • Options
    Can you do something super small? I'm not sure how I'd feel about a ton of people coming over at once for the purpose of wanting to hold the baby... My DD's birthday is February 7, and we are having a party for her, but my plan is to wear the baby the whole time in hopes people will get the hint that 1) This is DD's day and 2) I don't want the baby passed around. 

If you can't keep it super small, I'd also see if early April would be a possibility... at least by then maybe you could do something more outdoors (depending on your location) and it wouldn't be a lot of people in a closed space.
  • Options
    Can you do something super small? I'm not sure how I'd feel about a ton of people coming over at once for the purpose of wanting to hold the baby... My DD's birthday is February 7, and we are having a party for her, but my plan is to wear the baby the whole time in hopes people will get the hint that 1) This is DD's day and 2) I don't want the baby passed around. 

If you can't keep it super small, I'd also see if early April would be a possibility... at least by then maybe you could do something more outdoors (depending on your location) and it wouldn't be a lot of people in a closed space.
    I don't think it would be HUGE mostly local people with a few family members and friends from out of town. 
  • Options
    AlfiesMOM said:

I don't think it would be HUGE mostly local people with a few family members and friends from out of town. 
    It really depends how many people, I think. But if you decide to have it - just keep lots of sanitizer around!
  • Options
    I'd consider it if it were pushed out to spring. I wouldn't want to play pass-the-baby in the middle of cold and flu season. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I actually prefer to handle just 1 or 2 guests at a time but if you would enjoy a gathering, go for it! 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    I am also a STM and was thinking about having a small gathering of a few close friends and family once the baby comes. But I'm having the same feelings of hesitation due to the fact that it will be the middle of cold/flu season. When I had my DS - he is also a January baby - we both got a really bad cold after we had a bunch of different visitors after he was born. I was super careful and made everyone wash their hands, etc. but we still got sick. So we haven't decided what we are going to do yet.

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    I would try to put it off until after cold and flu season. Maybe make it into a spring tea luncheon type event. When DD was a month old I went to SIL's baby shower (she's my cousin and we're very close so there was no way I was going to miss it). I only let me mom, MIL, sisters, and aunt hold her as I knew they had all had flu shots and TDAPs. Some of MIL's friends were offended but I didn't care.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I plan on doing one after our house is done & we're moved in (they gave us a target completion/close date of Jan 30th, 2 weeks after my due date!).  So I hope we'll be in the house some time soon after the baby comes.

I plan on ours being a joint housewarming & "you gotta see the baby" (and you've got to say it in that nasal voice like Carol did on Seinfeld!) just for my close circle of girlfriends so I can keep the size a little more under control.  We have such a hard time getting together lately, so I figure if I plan something where I can have it at our house, plus work a girls' get-together into it, it'll be kind of fun.  And if it goes well, maybe we'll do another one that's more for family. . . I like the idea of knocking a few visitors out at one shot, but not so many that I feel like I'm neglecting one group of family/friends to go chat up another group.

I doubt people will come if they're under the weather.  Especially if they have had kids of their own, they'll be wise enough to stay home & keep from spreading the illness.  Even if they don't, my girlfriends are all pretty savvy with that because most of them have nieces/nephews & know new mamas are usually extra worried about germs.
    Myles was so pumped about the baby . . . until he figured out he'd have to share all his toys!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • Options
    I will be having one when baby is six weeks old.  My DD is in day care, so I don't think any of my friends will be bringing germs over that DD hasn't already brought home from day care.  I will just ask people to please wash their hands before holding the baby. I don't think that's a rediculous request.
  • Options
    I feel the same way! My mom keeps suggesting this but I dont want to do it during cold/flu season. I think waiting until March is a good idea! :) 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had one with my first and I waited until March so that flu season was over. It was great. This time I might do it again, but keep the guest list down just for my sanity. I will do it in March again if we decide to do it.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options
    I will be having one 3-5 weeks after birth. It will only be close friends and I know they won't come if they are sick. DD was a winter baby and her shower was when she was a month old. We were careful and she didn't get sick. 
  • Options
    I'm debating on doing this. Stm and no shower, but still want everyone to get together to meet the LO.
    Will most likely be moving in fen though. So will also probably be waiting until march...
  • Options

HAHAHA y'all are worried about cold season and my biggest worry would be whether or not myself or the host could afford enough booze for everyone

This is why I keep joking about mine being a chug n see.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"