March 2015 Moms
Options

Nursing VS bottle feeding TOO many opinions help!!

13»

Re: Nursing VS bottle feeding TOO many opinions help!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never said it was easy.  Once.  My point was that all of this is really scary and I think along with the scary you need to mix in some positives, too.  All some mothers get is negative in their personal lives and it might be nice for someone to occasionally read something positive.  I had a hell of a time breastfeeding, from low supply in the beginning where my son lost over a pound and was jaundice, literally sitting in my bosses office with my breast in a bowl of ice water trying to draw my nipple out with my son screaming next to me, to mastitis three times, to losing my pump cords at a tournament in Stockton and trying to find a replacement at midnight because I hadn't pumped in over 7 hours.  But it was also really awesome to be able to breastfeed for as long as I could and be comfortable with it 90% of the time.  Because all of those bad experiences are really a small representative of my actual time spent breastfeeding.  There are bad parts but great parts, too.  Definitely pros and cons but all I kept seeing in this post was a bunch of a cons. 

And @etoille yes, I get it.  You don't like me.  You've made this very clear many times.  Pulling up posts from 3.5 months ago when I was two months out of college clearly proves your point.  Because I haven't mentioned on here several times that I accepted a new position in August that has moved me hundreds of miles away from civilization, working full time, and being kind of stressed about my job.  Very convenient that you missed seeing those posts.   But I'm not worried, I'm sure you'll find a post from three years ago that discredits this post.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    Not to play devils advocate or anything but I'm fully expecting a difficult time breastfeeding because I think I've heard negative experiences 10 fold over positive ones. It doesn't seem so "natural" to me because everyone makes it sound so difficult. In one way I'm glad cause I'm able to mentally prepare myself if it doesn't go the way I hope but I also don't have high hopes about it which sucks.

I am NOT blaming anyone but I think JC has a point about negative stories overbearing positive ones. It's only my observation and not just from this board or TB. This is just coming from a FTM who has no idea what I'm in for and only has other people's stories to go by.
  • Options
    AleWife said:
    @janda426 I can see your point, too. I think getting a full spectrum of experiences is important. 

Even with regard to weaning, my sisters had very different experiences. I know this hasn't been touched on a lot (at least I haven't noticed), but one of my sisters had very emotional experiences weaning her kids from BF'ing; she cried for days. My other sister stated she just stopped one night after 18 months. She was over it and said, "I know everyone is different, but for me... I was done having someone attached to my tit after 18 months (with an affectionate smirk)." 

I could see both perspectives and I'm glad I had the opportunity to hear them. 

I'm practically begging my 2 year old to wean. I was never able to bf my first and felt tremendous shame over it, even though I pumped what I could. I was determined the next time around and succeeded even after a 3 week nicu stay. I was petrified he'd self wean before 18 months. And here we are at almost 26 months and thankfully down to maybe once every couple of days. Weaning has been the hardest part to be honest. Both my experiences have greatly changed how I'm planning this next baby.
  • Options
    I just think it's hilarious that women in general here are being treated like delicate mindless flowers by 'certain people' (see? I can be passive aggressive and pretend you aren't here like a child too. Isn't it fun?).

For the love of god, we're almost all pregnant here. Obviously we aren't delicate little sissies who don't want to attempt something physically difficult, painful, and uncomfortable. Obviously we would NEVER put aside our own comfort and obviously we'll all faint and/or run away from birth if we read about it's realities.

Good thing nobody gives us credit for facing potential hardships with courage and grace. Better not tell women that birth fucking hurts or none of those mindless little strumpets will get pregnant. Golly gee. Just pet them like lap dogs and keep them from having information so they don't get all scurred.

Please, what a fucking joke.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ngolimentongolimento member
    edited October 2014
    JM0848 said:

etoille said:

JM0848 said:

etoille said:

MauiBliss said:

I just think it's hilarious that women in general here are being treated like delicate mindless flowers by 'certain people' (see? I can be passive aggressive and pretend you aren't here like a child too. Isn't it fun?).

For the love of god, we're almost all pregnant here. Obviously we aren't delicate little sissies who don't want to attempt something physically difficult, painful, and uncomfortable. Obviously we would NEVER put aside our own comfort and obviously we'll all faint and/or run away from birth if we read about it's realities.

Good thing nobody gives us credit for facing potential hardships with courage and grace. Better not tell women that birth fucking hurts or none of those mindless little strumpets will get pregnant. Golly gee. Just pet them like lap dogs and keep them from having information so they don't get all scurred.

Please, what a fucking joke.

You can pet me, Pele. 

Um no she can't.  You're in quarantine for being a public health threat.

Truth fact I learned today from our garrison's information brief:

Army medicine will not be using the word "quarantine" in regards to the Ebola threat. I can't recall the term they are using, but quarantine is a no-go.

Maui doesn't have ebola though.  She's just going to give her kid formula.  

Hey maybe formula IS ebola!??

I mean, there has to be a reason why people villify it so much...

Formula=Ebola=Public Health concern.

****quote****

Oh it'll be cool, my mom only BFed me for two months, then switched to formula. So I'll be with Maui in quarantine, petting away.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    JM0848 said:

@peledreamsofrain @mauibliss

I'll be joining y'all. My mom almost exclusively formula fed me.

Quarantine petting party!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This thread has actually been pretty informative. Thanks to those that have shared their stories and experiences. :)

I have a few questions! (Slight thread hijacking that kind of relates ...)

If using bottles to feed breast milk on occasion, would the 4 Oz or 8 Oz be used more often? Or does this really vary?

I have every intention to try to bf for the first year. But if I don't have success at this, did you guys bring your own bottles and formula to the hospital? And how in the world did you decide on a formula brand in the first place?
  • Options
    JM0848 said:

That's awesome!
  • Options
    Now I forget who asked about 4oz vs 8oz and the quote trees make it so I can't go back.

My daughter never took more than 4 oz at a time until we switched to sippies at about a year and a couple of months. Now, at almost 19 months, she takes 4-6 oz of wcm at a time (or water if it isn't time for milk). But that is in a cup, not a bottle, so, 8 oz bottles never got used in this house.

All babies are different!
  • Options
    ngolimentongolimento member
    edited October 2014

The formula debate is an interesting one. I'm a sucker for marketing. Our pediatrician (both of them) also agreed that all formula is pretty much equal, and yet I insisted on buying the more expensive Earth's Best organic once we started supplementing. I KNOW, in my brain, that it's sort of a silly waste of money, but for some reason it gave me peace of mind. I'm a marketing ad-whiz DREAM consumer. Sell me fear. I eat that ish up!

I have a feeling i will be the same. it helped seeing some forums where women were like "i bought the cheapest target generic formula and brought it to the hospital to feed from day one" but i'm sure i will be buying the sensitive concentrate to start out.

i'm planning on formula feeding and extremely aware of the benefits and pros to breast milk, so i started to look into the best types of milk for infants. apparently goats milk is generally better, but it's impossible to find goats milk based formulas that aren't more for toddlers to supplement a regular diet. some hardcore women make their own formulas from goats milk (which you usually have to locally source) and add vitamins and things themselves, but that's all way too intense for me.

Impressed.  That's the first I've heard of DIY goat's milk formula.  I can be pretty hardcore about DIY projects, food production, and the like but that sounds way, way out of my league. 

****quote***

Some people sadly don't have a choice. My mother was forced to try all sorts of things when I was nursing because my stomach just couldn't handle ANYTHING. They finally found goat's milk worked for me, but was too expensive. Eventually they found a soy formula that didn't lead to major diarrhea. I bet that was basically a national holiday to them.

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"