Baby Names

Girl names- like the name, but hate the nn, thoughts?

We just found out were having our first girl (yay!) but are completely stuck on a name. Our boys are Thomas (Tommy) and Vincenzo (Vinny) and we'd like to keep with the Italian names for our girl. There are a ton of names we like but hate the nicknames. We like:

Adelina 
Valentina but don't want Val or Tina
Gabriella but don't want Gabby
Emma but it sounds too simple to me
Aubriella

If this baby was a boy he would have been Rocco Salvatore, to give you a better idea of our style. Her middle name will be Mae, after my aunt. Our last name also ends with a "-la".

Would you pick a name even though you hate the nickname they may be called? Any other suggestions? Thanks :)

Re: Girl names- like the name, but hate the nn, thoughts?

• Dh and I are having that discussion. He likes Patrick and I like it too but I can't get over the nicknames so we won't use it :(

My old boss is Italian and his daughters names are Francesca and Carmella :)
  • What about Arianna? You could use Gabriella and use Ella as a nickname
  • Loading the player...
  • You guys have completely sold my husband on Valentina, it's his top choice now. Aubriella being second.
  • Soon2BMrsNSoon2BMrsN member
    edited October 2014
    We've chosen two names -- Henry and Samuel -- even though we dislike the potential nicknames Hank and Sammy. I think it's okay to insist that your child be called by his/her given name.
  • I would not pick a name that I hated the NN of, but Valentina is gorgeous.

Some other Italian girls names I like:

Giada

Gioa

Chiara

Elisa

Angelina

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I just have to say Rocco Salvatore is one of the best names I have ever read on here! I love it!  That being said lol, you have great taste and I understand I hate the nicknames Val, Tina and Gabby too. Valentina is beautiful but I actually like Aubriella the best. It's gorgeous. Emma is pretty but it doesn't hold up compared to Valentina or Aubriella. If you really love Valentina I'd say go for it just be prepared to tell people she goes by her full name. If you don't want to bother with that I'd choose Aubriella or I like the suggestions Angelina, Giada or Giovanna/Gianna as suggested above.
  • catahoulattecatahoulatte member
    edited October 2014
    We love Gabriel but don't care for Gabe and have had little problems (there's one weird family friend that ALWAYS says "Hi Gabe!" but he's insanely dense so...)

We just introduce him as Gabriel and 99% of the time people either follow our lead or ask if he goes by a NN and we say no.

/anecdote. I love Valentina the most from your list and if that's the only thing holding you back, I wouldn't worry too much about the NN.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I personally wouldn't use a name if I hated the nns for it.  Sure, when your LO is young you choose but as they get older it will be their choice.  If she wants to go with Tina when she's older you need to make sure you're okay with it.  

I love Valentina and think you have a lot of NN options but I would make sure I was okay with any obvious ones.  
  • It would depend on the name/nn for me. I think you can prevent Tina since it's not so common for younger ages but Val or Gabby would be harder to stop.

Valentina is lovely! Unless you really can't handle Val as a nn, I think you can take pps advice of just always using her full name and most people will take the hint.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Emma is a great name. It's simple but so are the nicknames for your boys'. I think it works.
  • Love you name style, I have a love for Italian names!!

I love Valentina, it's such a pretty name. I went to school with a Valentina and nobody called her by a nickname, she was always strictly Valentina. I also love the suggestion of Francesca, it's a favourite of mine!
  • NN Tina is so bad. And I think it is a strong possibility that would be hard to combat with a name like Valentina (which indeed, is a shame, bc Valentina is gorg). 

I like PP suggestion of Francesca. Also,Gemma, Marina and Lucia 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I try not to worry too much about nicknames because you ultimately have little control over them. I know a Christopher whose mother *loved* "Chris" but he hates it so as an adult, he is always Christopher and never Chris. I know a Matthew whose parents hated "Matt" and he went away to college and immediately became "Matt." You never know how the kid will grow into their name. 
  • I don't think it's too hard to get *most* people to comply with using the full name, but I think there will always be a few people in your child's life who call Valentina Val, for example. (Valentina is my fav on your list, btw. And I looove Rocco Salvatore.)
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Love PPs suggestion of Francesca.

Gianna
    Giovanna
    Rosa
    Carina
    Gisella
    Alessandra
    Marcella
    Carlotta
    Fiorella
    Mariella

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• I'd love the nickname of Frankie for a little girl but can't deal with Francesca or Francine. I immediately think of the beehive hairstyle or Arthur when I hear them lol. Serafina I like! I'd say Valentina is definitely the front runner right now, and I like "v" as a nn. Boy names are so easy for us so this is tough!
  • DaisyZHDaisyZH member
    edited October 2014
    DS goes to school with a Valentina and she doesn't use a nickname. I think Valentina is beautiful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I like all those names fine and just wanted to say that I wouldn't not use a name just because I don't like a nickname. I'm a preschool teacher and it is very common for children to not go by a nickname. We have many children that go only by their long names.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I wouldn't let a nn deter you. We named our son Harrison and dislike the nn Harry. Anyone who tries to shorten his name is told to call him by his full name. Just stick to your guns on the whole no nn thing. Don't let it stop you from using a name you love!
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Valentina is so cute. Just go with it and discourage all NN that you dislike.
  • Go for it.  DS2's name has a ton of nicknames, and I hate them all.  We loved the name and picked it anyway.  We've discouraged any use of nicknames.  I understand that it will be more difficult as he gets older and goes to school, and I hope that we can encourage him to continue to use his full name, but I know that it's a possibility.  As long as you're okay with that, I say use it.

• Gabriella and Valentina are beyond precious! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Caldwell Due to Arrive: June 3, 2015 <3
    1st Ultrasound: 7weeks 1 days: 10/21 - we got to see our little squirt and hear the amazing 166 heart beat
    2nd Ultrasound: 10weeks 3 days: 11/12 - we got to see our teddy graham wiggle and cross its legs. 177 bmp
  • So we'd have a tommy, Vinny, and Valentina. Man if I was due in February that name would be perfect lol.
  • Love Valentina, I think you could have a lot of sway in what NN or even if she goes by a NN depending on what you call her.
  • Love Valentina! Other suggestions

Aurelia
    Nicola
    Natalia
    Elisabetta
    Magdalena
    Marisol
    Eugenia
  • You can certainly insist that people call your child by their full name, but you may want a back-up NN as a possibility.  What about Tia for Valentina?
  • We've narrowed it down to 3. Valentina, Natalia, and Aubriella. Natalia is my #1 right now.
  • Won't Aubriella/Gabriella sound a bit singsongy with a LN ending in -la?...

Both Valentina and Natalia are great, can't go wrong with either.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey girl;) Id go with a name even if I didn't like the nn because usually people will ask what you prefer to be called so if your daughter doesn't like a certain nn she can ask not to be called that
    autism photo: AUTISM autismglitter.gifBabyFruit Tickerphoto d61f26e5-4fb2-4a0b-b301-b0af2b53d4d3.jpg
  • I agree with those that said tell people you are not using nicknames and insist they use the name that you chose.  I love Gabriella!  I know a Valentina and she doesn't have any nickname, just goes by her name.
  • Francessca with nickname Frankie
  • What about Nathaniel - then you can call him Nathan
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"