Cloth Diapering
Options

Newborn Cloth

Hello, I am a first time mom and planning to cloth diaper my baby. I have some Best Bottoms and a couple Bumgenius which should fit baby pretty quickly if she goes full term and the trends in birth weight in my and DH's family hold true (every baby in my family with exception for one twin birth hangs out around 8.5lb at birth). But I know my BB and bG's don't accommodate the umbilical stump early on and there are um-teen-million factors that could cause a delay in when they become useful. So, I was wondering, from a purely economical stand point, would buying a whole NB stash really be worth it or would temporarily using sposies be most practical? We're also planning on having at least one more child. I know there's really no way to be certain, but in your personal (and probably much more experienced) opinions, what would you do?

Re: Newborn Cloth

• Options
    WSS.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    Yup. Most OS diapers fit closer to 10lbs, regardless of what they say.

A nb stash is always worth it. My 2 week old can go through 4 diapers in 5 minutes. Poop, pee during change, poop again as soon as he's in a clean one, etc. Thats a lot of sposies to just throw away. Nb diapers have great resale value because they are used for such a short period of time.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Totes worth it.  Buy em, use em, sell em.  Or pack them up for future babies.
  • Options
    A newborn stash is totally worth it, and also totally cheap.  Just get 36 of a combo of prefolds and flour sack towels from wal mart (5/$5), and a handful of various covers.  (Like, 8?)  Couldn't be simpler or cheaper.  You can save all that for your next baby, or you can use the prefolds and FSTs inside your BB covers, or to stuff pockets, or as burp rags, or to clean messes, whatever.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    If nothing else, if you start with the disposables, you are less likely to switch to cloth when your baby's stump falls off or grows into the stash you have. From what you'll read around here, nb cds have a higher resale value because they don't get used as long.
  • Options
    I used disposables for the first week and a half, (only because DH and I had to move across the country about four days after I delivered). After that first week and a half/ two weeks I started using my Alva OS diapers. He fit them fine, no leaks or anything, and by that time he weighed a little over nine pounds. That said, I'll probably buy a newborn stash for our next baby, so I'll have cloth diapers for the first two weeks. Good luck!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"