February 2015 Moms
Options

Are we sure it's a girl?!

Background... we've done no formal testing and all ultrasound are done in my OB's office with an archaic u/s machine. I'm comically bad at telling what they are looking at!

DS#1 - said boy at 20 weeks, confirmed boy at 24 weeks, it was a boy.
DS#2- said he was 90% sure it was a girl at 20 weeks, changed his mind and was sure it was a boy at 24 weeks, it was a boy.

With this baby, we went in at 20 weeks and he said he couldn't get a clear enough shot to say, but nothing looked boy. 24 weeks (today) he checked again and said he's 95% sure it's a girl (he checked his notes and said still looking girl, so he must have been leaning that way last time). The nurse in the room said it looked like girl to her and the office gals say he doesn't say 95% sure unless he's pretty confident.  He did not give us a picture this time and last time there was no clear shot, so no picture then, either. 

I know this is petty and I know I could go do a 3-D, but DH really doesn't want to and I'm trying to be supportive of his opinion. I also know nothing is for sure until the baby comes. THAT SAID... would you start buying girl stuff if you were me? With the boys it was so clear, so I'm totally skeptical, especially since he was wrong with us once before. 

Help! 

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Are we sure it's a girl?!

• Options
    What about your hubby respecting your opinion, and getting an elective ultrasound? If you really want to be able to start buying girl things and 'painting the nursery,' I'd get a second opinion.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    95% sounds good to me. My u/s tech and OB didn't give a percentage, they just said girl and I'm going with that. If she turns out to be  he just use the more unisex stuff. If you don't like that idea only buy unisex items.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, he's been practicing for 20+ years and he went through everything on our anatomy scan that he needed to see (including internal organs). If he saw anything concerning he would have sent me in for a high level ultrasound, so I can only assume it's an adequate machine. It's definitely not a 3-D/4-D machine where little is left to the imagination, though. 

And if I really "put my foot down," my husband would absolutely go to a 3-D ultrasound with me, but he really doesn't want to and it's more our style to make those decisions together, since he feels strongly and I'm not freaking out about knowing. Just curious if this is what "all" girl moms are hearing or if I have reason to be skeptical. 
    Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Our ultrasound tech did not give a percentage when she told us LO is a girl. We were also given pictures of the "money shot" and it looks exactly the same as all Googled images of female baby ultrasounds.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was told by two techs that they are pretty sure girl. I don't think they can ever say 100% when saying girl. I'm skeptical for this reason but my DH said he saw "girly parts" so we're pretty confident and going with it.

If your dr and a nurse said 95% than I would believe them.
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• Options
    edited October 2014
    It sounds pretty reasonable to me that you have an accurate reading.  I've had two ultrasounds, both 3D/4D capable, and they did not use that function to look at the sex.  I actually don't think that you'd get much sex organ clarity with 3D/4D (this early?) - everything looks really wonky/fuzzy/under water.

I also am not going to gender specific crazy with decorations or clothing, so its hard for me to relate in that regard.  I guess if I was going to shell out a bunch of cash for painted pink princess theme nursery I'd push for an elective ultrasound.  If you're just worried about having too much pink clothes, keep the tags on.
    image-image-image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @foxslaw‌ me too! Im happy I have my Dr after hearing ppl say they got unclear answers... We got a pretty clear picture of her lady parts. I say go for the 3D.
  • Options
    I've been in this boat before. What I did was prepared for a girl but had my bin of boys' clothes nearby as back up "just in case." I also told people that we weren't 100% sure so there wasn't a complete shock. Thankfully both of my "not sure but we think girl" pregnancies ended up as really and truly girls.
  • Options
    I'm in a similar boat. My doctor isn't certain, but is leaning towards girl. We are mostly buying gender neutral things and will be bringing both a little sister and little brother onsie to the hospital. I figure I'll have more than enough time to buy the ruffled diaper covers while nursing in the middle of the night after she is born.
  • Options
    I'll be doing a 3d just to guarantee we are having a third boy. I'd do it too if you aren't 100% sure. Why not
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers

DS-1/27/04 DS-11/5/12 MC-5/7/14 BFP: 5/27/14 

imageimageimage

• Options
    I get a money shot of each baby printed out each time.  Sometimes I wonder how often our awesome tech thinks I want to see the junk of my babies.....
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    MrsRoy07MrsRoy07 member
    edited October 2014
    Provided they get a clear and good angled shot of that area, girl parts are girl parts. My u/s tech describes girl parts as looking like a hamburger as opposed to a hotdog- totally gross analogy, but I get it. I think "hamburger" is her roundabout way of saying labia @foxslaw ;)
    imageimage
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DD born 4/25/11
    m/c 8/10/13 at 5.5 weeks
    missed m/c 4/15/14 at 11.5 weeks, D&C 4/17/14
    BFP 6/22/14, Scheduled c/s 2/23/15, It's a Girl!!  

• Options

... I wonder when a certain poster will show up to comment on this.... I can't wait

my two cents, I would get the elective US if you want to buy stuff, when techs/doctors ARE wrong it is usually when they say girl and it turns out to be a boy since he could be hiding his boy parts, once they see the penis it is hard to get it wrong.

Is she most definitely NOT finding out the sex of the baby?
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

It sounds pretty reasonable to me that you have an accurate reading.  I've had two ultrasounds, both 3D/4D capable, and they did not use that function to look at the sex.  I actually don't think that you'd get much sex organ clarity with 3D/4D (this early?) - everything looks really wonky/fuzzy/under water.

I also am not going to gender specific crazy with decorations or clothing, so its hard for me to relate in that regard.  I guess if I was going to shell out a bunch of cash for painted pink princess theme nursery I'd push for an elective ultrasound.  If you're just worried about having too much pink clothes, keep the tags on.
    I had a 3D at 16 weeks and 22 and could see the sexual organs very clearly both times. The machine doesn't become unclear bc of the amniotic fluid, but is based off of sound waves, so only if baby moves does it become unclear bc the fluid is distorted. If you see my prior post about this the photo I posted shows how detailed it is even at 22 weeks. I pretty much know what our son looks like, minus the extra fat added.
  • Options
    How frustrating!!, maybe you can buy girl stuff and just keep the tags on them. You can also suggest the elective US not just for knowing the anatomy, but also cause you want keepsake photos. 
  • Options
    kefttsc said:

I get a money shot of each baby printed out each time.  Sometimes I wonder how often our awesome tech thinks I want to see the junk of my babies.....

This. I have 4 pictures of fetus crotch shot but I couldn't get an image of a leg or am arm. One "it's a girl" shot was good enough for me.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    AngieAn said:
    How frustrating!!, maybe you can buy girl stuff and just keep the tags on them. You can also suggest the elective US not just for knowing the anatomy, but also cause you want keepsake photos. 
    I second this.
    --- Jan Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives ---

• Options
    alyse0305 said:

I had a 3D at 16 weeks and 22 and could see the sexual organs very clearly both times. The machine doesn't become unclear bc of the amniotic fluid, but is based off of sound waves, so only if baby moves does it become unclear bc the fluid is distorted. If you see my prior post about this the photo I posted shows how detailed it is even at 22 weeks. I pretty much know what our son looks like, minus the extra fat added.
    Didn't say it was unclear because of amniotic fluid, I just used "underwater" as one of my three words to describe the difference between how my 2D and 3D/4D looked.
    image-image-image
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

This is why the tech didn't tell us the sex, she said she wasn't certain enough and she didn't want to give us the wrong sex. She wouldn't even tell us which way she was leaning. I am ok with that. I will not be doing an elective to find out.

• Options

alyse0305 said:

Didn't say it was unclear because of amniotic fluid, I just used "underwater" as one of my three words to describe the difference between how my 2D and 3D/4D looked.
    I was clarifying that is not the case and using more professionally correct terminology to your "underwater" usage to be more clear. You stated they didn't use that function so your knowledge on it would be limited, but mine however is not as it was used. Although the angle of the baby would be the most pertinent piece of information here.
  • Options
    I've had 2 ultrasounds done and I'm at 24 weeks. BOTH times with two different techs they both told me the same thing. Although with mine they are for sure its a boy. But they said that there are cases where the girl babies are swollen in their genitals, some more than others which would make it appear to be boys through ultrasound until you get further along into pregnancy. Baby girls can still be quite swollen until birth as well. I'm not sure the reasoning behind why you can always ask a doctor. But it was one of those topics I was very curious about with both ultrasound techs. I personally love knowing what I'm having before having my baby just to have the excitement of picking out colors and clothes and everything. We spend the money for a 3-D ultrasound now with both of my pregnancies and have been very happy we did, it might be one of those cases where you may need the 3-D just to see the texture of the skin and everything to really see.. But if they are certain it's a girl there could be a chance that it is and she is just swollen which caused the confusing in the beginning (which is normal!) I hope this helps a little! Best of luck!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"