Working Moms
Options

Advice for discussion with VP

edited October 2014 in Working Moms
I hope you all won't mind a longtime lurker posting, but I need some advice. My previous Director (who I reported to) retired in February and my VP has been trying to fill the position since then. I have only been in my position for a year now and it was pretty clear to me that they were looking to hire someone at the Director level who had more experience than I did. Basically, they could never find anyone with the skills they were looking for, until last week, when they offered someone the job. My VP called me in to tell me the news, and then warned me that the person didn't have as much experience as they were looking for. I did a little recon and the person they are hiring actually has a resume that is nearly identical to mine and is definitely not more qualified than me. Obviously, I am pissed. Not necessarily because I didn't get the job, but because I now will report to someone that has the same (almost down to the months) experience that I do in my profession. My feelings are hurt, and I'm also wondering how I'm perceived by my VP now when before, the only feedback I had gotten was that I was doing an excellent job. I scheduled a performance management discussion with myVP after I found out- it's tomorrow. I obviously want to find out what the deal is, but I want to remain professional. Any tips on what to say or what not to say? I'm so nervous.

Re: Advice for discussion with VP

• Options

Did you ask for the position? I just went through something similar - was reporting to an ED directly, now report to a peer with less industry experience but who was part of the group that subsumed mine. I wasn't offered the opportunity to even apply, but broached it from this angle: What is my career path? That opened up lots of conversation and awareness, and things are on track for me to get where I was going when I reported to an ED. Things don't have to change just because reporting changes.

Anecdotally, I found it reassuring that our department ED used to report to an MD and now reports to an ED and was just promoted (title, not HR role). I would go into it with an open mind, not pissed at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Much more than time-based experience is relevant in hiring decisions; the candidate may have had skills you don't, may have had relevant experience you don't, may have been able to talk more strategically about her experience, or may just have had better chemistry with the decision makers. PP's advice about having an open-ended discussion about career path is great; make sure the focus of the conversation is about you, not about the new hire. Another great question to ask is, "What do I need to do to be considered for Director opportunities when they arise?"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    2chatter said:

Did you ask for the position? I just went through something similar - was reporting to an ED directly, now report to a peer with less industry experience but who was part of the group that subsumed mine. I wasn't offered the opportunity to even apply, but broached it from this angle: What is my career path? That opened up lots of conversation and awareness, and things are on track for me to get where I was going when I reported to an ED. Things don't have to change just because reporting changes.

Anecdotally, I found it reassuring that our department ED used to report to an MD and now reports to an ED and was just promoted (title, not HR role). I would go into it with an open mind, not pissed at all.

The culture at my company is that you are usually "invited" to apply for a Director position if you actually have a shot at it. The girl that got the job was external to the Company. Looking back, I probably should have applied, but again, I didn't expect to get the job because they told me (reassured me even) that they were looking for someone with more experience than me that I could learn from. Given that they had been looking since February, I am thinking this girl was more of a desperation hire but I'm not sure. I like the "career path" approach. It's a good way to start the discussion without coming across as bitter.
  • Options
    I was going to suggest exactly what @FemShep said "What do I need to do to be considered for Director opportunities when they arise?" This will both be informative to you in general and the answer will very likely address the new hire without you specifically asking about it. And good luck with the new Director - fingers crossed you like each other and have a very productive relationship.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"