January 2015 Moms
Options

Let's talk about Labor Buddies

There seems to be some interest. I don't want to do an official poll, but let's discuss. 

Want 'em? Don't want 'em? Want to seek out your own? Want some kind of official match up?

Where do we go from here? :)
Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

Re: Let's talk about Labor Buddies

• Options
    On my April '11 board, people who wanted one matched themselves up. They either privately contacted someone, and some people even put out "Labor Buddy Ads" like personal ad posts lol. 

I feel like LBs are a "to each their own" thing. Some will want one, some won't. Some will want to find their own; some will want to be matched up.  I have no idea how to facilitate a match-up, though...
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    @firefly3911 is mine :)  I'm totally for people picking their own, since I did. Already has my number and we're in contact annoying each other daily.  So if everyone wants to pick their own, that's cool.  But I just wondered if not everyone is comfortable doing so.  Not everyone might have someone they feel "closer" to or feel comfortable approaching someone?  Those people might want to be matched up?

(just talking out loud).
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm interested! :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    TRexsMum said:
    What exactly is involved with labour buddies? I need details. And I want one. Cause I feel left out.
    Someone who lets board know when their LB is in labor, updates with progress, when baby is born, etc. Stuff like that, I believe.
  • Options
    ;;) I want one lol
  • Options
    @firefly3911 is mine :)  I'm totally for people picking their own, since I did. Already has my number and we're in contact annoying each other daily.  So if everyone wants to pick their own, that's cool.  But I just wondered if not everyone is comfortable doing so.  Not everyone might have someone they feel "closer" to or feel comfortable approaching someone?  Those people might want to be matched up?

(just talking out loud).
    Lol @ the annoying each other. What? Like we're on old married couple now? :p No we are a sanity outlet to each other.
    Yes, I do feel like we're an old married couple ;;)
  • Options
    cassied7 said:

Love this idea, but Id feel awkward "choosing" a labor buddy, because I don't think I'm as active as most and I'm not sure if anyone knows me. I feel active because I'm on everyday, but i don't post as much as others, so for me, it'd be better if I were matched up with someone if that makes any sense.

________

I feel the same exact way. I'm not terribly active on here all the time but I get on everyday to read stuff. I wouldn't feel comfortable just picking someone, but don't know the best way.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    YaMrWhite said:
    I'd feel weird requesting someone for fear they wouldn't feel the same...
    Yeah, that's why I suggested in the other thread maybe it's best for those that are comfortable choosing their own to do so, and the others go in the pool and randomly picked. That way everyone gets one in the way they're comfortable with :)
  • Options
    I think it's a fun idea to get to know someone else on a more personal level. That being said, if the actual point is just to update the board when I'm in labor, etc......well, wouldn't it be just as easy to post a quick message on the board from my phone as it would be to text someone? I mean, a text would be slightly easier, but I'm def not texting anyone when I'm pushing! ;)
    Yeah, for some people it's just as easy to post for themselves, but for others, it's not as easy. I don't use mobile, for example, and the wi-fi at the hospital last time was spotty at best. 

So, if you think you may just post for yourself, you probably don't want/need one. No biggie. :)
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I think it's a fun idea to get to know someone else on a more personal level. That being said, if the actual point is just to update the board when I'm in labor, etc......well, wouldn't it be just as easy to post a quick message on the board from my phone as it would be to text someone? I mean, a text would be slightly easier, but I'm def not texting anyone when I'm pushing! ;)
    Yeah, for some people it's just as easy to post for themselves, but for others, it's not as easy. I don't use mobile, for example, and the wi-fi at the hospital last time was spotty at best. 

So, if you think you may just post for yourself, you probably don't want/need one. No biggie. :)
    OMG I'd die here if my wifi at the hospital was spotty.  I'm happy it's good here!!
    On a related note, some simply may not want to hop on when stuff is happening. I'm going to guess that will be far from my mind and I'll be focused on other things. So I'd rather tell someone so they can let everyone know.    Same after she's here.  I'd rather someone post it, I don't see myself hopping on right after she's born.  But we're all different.. some will find LB's useful and others maybe not :)
  • Options

OMG I'd die here if my wifi at the hospital was spotty.  I'm happy it's good here!!
    On a related note, some simply may not want to hop on when stuff is happening. I'm going to guess that will be far from my mind and I'll be focused on other things. So I'd rather tell someone so they can let everyone know.    Same after she's here.  I'd rather someone post it, I don't see myself hopping on right after she's born.  But we're all different.. some will find LB's useful and others maybe not :)

---------quote fail?

Yeah, that's a good point. I wouldn't mind posting something while I'm in early labor, but I probably won't be posting asap after giving birth. Since I will be texting people, adding a labor buddy to the list would work. Either way, I promise to let you ladies know when she's here somehow....eventually! ;)
  • Options
    TRexsMum said:

Cuppycakes, I'll be your lb as long as you have international texting. I get 100 texts to the U.S./month with my plan, but many of my american friends get charged if I text them.

Do you have Facebook? And I don't have international texting :( in fact last time I had a labor buddy I had a woman from Ireland and we were never able to get in touch because we couldn't text, she didn't have Facebook, and Skype wouldn't send our messages either. And she never checked her email.
  • Options
    I love the idea of labor buddies! I'm okay with being matched up randomly but I think that @saiven makes a good point - I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable with their partner or get catfished.

Pregnancy TickerimageBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    TRexsMum said:

TRexsMum said:

Cuppycakes, I'll be your lb as long as you have international texting. I get 100 texts to the U.S./month with my plan, but many of my american friends get charged if I text them.

Do you have Facebook? And I don't have international texting :( in fact last time I had a labor buddy I had a woman from Ireland and we were never able to get in touch because we couldn't text, she didn't have Facebook, and Skype wouldn't send our messages either. And she never checked her email.

yes ma'am, I facebook.  I facebook SO HARD.
    Shall I PM you my info?  We can be buddies!  And my entire world is Cap, so your avatar always makes me so happy.  

-------------
    I'm a SAHM with a self diagnosed Facebook addiction. So....yea, PM me your info!
  • Options
    I would be down.
  • Options
    Sounds fun! But I'm having a scheduled c/s so I don't think I'd be an exciting labor buddy.

• Options
    I'm down. But I would rather not have a LB picked for me...I really would prefer an active daily poster that I feel comfortable with giving my digits out to.

I'm also in the camp of, I don't want to do a call out post and asking if you'll be my LB, and being rejected.

I'm totally ok not having a LB too, as I very well could post my own story. I want all the love tits for myself! :D

• Options
    I think I shall roll solo with no labor buddy, as I feel like I'm attached to my phone constantly anyways and won't have a problem updating you all when baby makes her debut!
  • Options
    Ok, I'm going to start another thread for those who DO want buddies. I'm going to pin it, and we'll go from there.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I want a lb. I'm using the mobile app tonight though, which I can't stand, and normally only use it for reading and love titting. So I will get more involved with this tomorrow. I just didn't want to get left out.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    1/2015 November Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails
  • Options
    I'd like one :)
  • Options
    I'm also in the camp of, I don't want to do a call out post and asking if you'll be my LB, and being rejected. 
    Too many saying this! This totally brings me back to my first day at a new school when I moved from Hawaii to NY in the middle of the year. And I was standing in the cafeteria and I was scared to sit because I was afraid everyone would tell me to leave or "this isn't your table", haha.  Those feelings never end, despite our age.

Break out of your comfort zones ;) I bet none of you will be rejected like you feel you will, if you're writing someone who is a familiar face 'round here.  Unless they flat out don't want a LB, period, and don't feel comfortable. Then it has nothing to do with you. :)
  • Options
    I feel like if I requested somebody, the response would be, wait, what? Who are you again? You mean you actually go here?
  • Options
    Britt1406Britt1406 member
    edited October 2014
    Due dates are something else to look at- granted you can go into labor at any point, but if you are both due on the same date, there is a bigger chance you'll be in the hospital at the same time (so cannot update for each other). 

I didn't do one with DS1. Like PP said, I like the idea of getting to know someone better (except for that whole catfish thing, that is creepy). I am able to post a birth story after delivery though (or post if going to hospital). With DS1, I waited until he was here to post anything (anywhere) to avoid the "how's it going?" calls/texts/PMs. 

Edit- I need to sign up for a "I want a board buddy but doesn't have to be labor buddy" friend, lol 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    See the sticky link at the top of the board if you're interested in a LB. :)

Due dates are taken into consideration as is time zone. I'm going to keep a list of people who want to be randomly matched and people who'd rather work it out on their own, and I'll post something more official (?) next week once people have time to think about it and sign up.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I've been reading all of the birth stories on Oct'14 and I really love the ones that are from the mom's POV.  I don't even look at the ones posted by LBs because they're so short: X is having contractions, X went to the hospital, X had her girl.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I've been reading all of the birth stories on Oct'14 and I really love the ones that are from the mom's POV.  I don't even look at the ones posted by LBs because they're so short: X is having contractions, X went to the hospital, X had her girl.
    @misslizzy82 Labor Buddy updates don't replace birth stories. They're just to notify the board that momma is in labor and/or has had the baby is both mom and baby are doing well. 

Mom generally posts when she is able with a full birth story and pictures, if she wants to.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I'll probably go solo. I sense I'll have a hard enough time remembering to call my Mom. 
    LOL. There is some truth in this for sure. :)
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    I'm another one happy being buddyless. I just don't really see the point. Plus I'd be worried that I'd be a bad buddy, never text back or get busy and forget to update the board.

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • Options
    I don't really see the point because I am not even going to tell most of our family and friends when I go into labor so I don't see telling people on the internet. I'll crap it out and let everyone know afterwards. 

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• Options
    teehee.... "crap it out." 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    1/2015 November Siggy Challenge - Thanksgiving Fails
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board