May 2013 Moms
Options

XP - Repeat D&C..very long

I'm posting this here too because I know you ladies have a lot of experience and good advice.

I've posted a little bit about my experience in other threads but this nightmare isn't over yet. I found out on 7/21 that I had a MMC, and my doc scheduled a D&C for 7/25 because my HCG levels were very high (200K), so they were afraid of a molar pregnancy. The D&C went fine and pathology came back that it was not molar. Six weeks or so went by and I still did not have my period, so I took a HPT to see if there was still HCG in my system (I knew I wasn't pregnant).

Sure enough, the test came back positive. I called doc office and nurse told me it was normal, not to worry, etc. Two more weeks went by I took another test and it was positive. Called the doc again, and they had me come in for blood test. My number was still around 100 or so at 9 weeks. They finally let me see a doctor around 11 weeks post D&C and he still wanted to take a wait and see approach with weekly blood tests. He told me not to take HPTs anymore (basically made me feel like an idiot, even though if I didn't this would still be going on and I wouldn't have known), and that it was normal up to 8 weeks to still get positive test. Um, hello, I was in at 11 weeks post d&c, LOOK AT THE CHART! Anyway, the next tests were 63, then 27 then 27 again.

Before the last test, I passed a really large clot and bled for 8 days. I called doc and they finally said come in for u/s. I went today and they saw retained tissue. This has been going on for 13 weeks!!! I'm pissed and let the doctor know it. He blew me off some more and said we can do another d&c on Tuesday. I told him I'm upset they didn't do u/s sooner and felt like I was being blown off. He basically told me I need to be more patient and that he only wants to do repeat d&c if completely necessary to avoid scarring and infertility. I think he was trying to scare me and cover his ass because he said this over and over again.

FWIW, the ultrasound tech was horrified they waited so long and actually thought there was a mistake in my file because there could be no way I was still coming in for a miscarriage in July. She even asked me if it was a second miscarriage before I explained to her what was going on. She said she was pissed for me and I should not let this blow over.

I'm very confused right now. Would you get a second opinion, go to different doc for 2nd d&c, or am I just being hysterical?

Re: XP - Repeat D&C..very long

• Options
    I would get a second opinion if you can get it done in a timely manner. I would hate for this to continue and for you to be at risk for infection. Good luck and prayers for a quick resolution.
  • Options
    I agree with previous posters and I am so sorry you are going through this

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I would go to a different doctor. I had a similar thing happen to me after my ectopic pregnancy surgery & tissue was found in my uterus by my current doctor!

They are covering their a$$ and you deserve much better. FWIW I interviewed several doctors before I found one who would listen & figure it out. The switch was worth it as I had no crazy issues with my boys' births & my doctor was kind & followed up with me from my D&C in June to make sure I didn't have issues. You can PM me for details or questions.

One thing I learned is everyone has something good to say about their doctor if they haven't had a loss or issues...so sometimes it's better to interview a lot of offices & get a feel for yourself. I cringe every time people recommend the doctor who did my surgery.
    TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options
    ((hugs)) I am so sorry you have to deal with all this.  I agree with the previous posters about getting a 2nd opinion quickly. Is your Dr in practice alone? Will a partner get you in quickly?  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. I picked this doc when I moved here because he was supposed to be best in area. I'm not really concerned that much about his abilities because from what I read, it's not that strange to have retained product. I'm more concerned that he waited so long to take it seriously. He even admitted 8 weeks is the normal timeframe. So, why did he wait almost 13 weeks? He couldn't really answer me, just kept saying he takes less lining to avoid scarring and infertility.
  • Options
    First, Im sorry you are going through this.

The only explanation that I can think of for why he waited to see if your number went down on its own is because your number was so low to begin with.  I had a repeat D&C 2 weeks after my first, but my numbers were jumping and were in the thousands and rising, not dropping.  Betas under 100 or so after a m/c and D&C can take a long time to go down.

He is correct in saying that they only want to do a second D&C that close together if its absolutely necessary because it can be damaging (mine left scar tissue that I had to get removed).  He was probably just waiting for you to pass the tissue on its own.  Since your beta was dropping, albeit slowly, he probably assumed in a few more weeks it would be gone and down to 0.

However, if you felt blown off that is a very valid reason to get a second opinion and look for a new Dr.  13 weeks is a bit long to not have a resolution yet.  You should feel like you are being listened to and that your concerns are their concerns.  Im sorry this is still going on.  I hope you can find a resolution soon. 
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options

Thanks everyone, I spoke to doc again today and he put my mind more at ease. I'll be having the D&C on Tuesday. I'm not thrilled, obviously, but I just want this over with already. He eased my mind about scarring and infertility - he'll be doing hysteroscopy to find the retained tissue first so he doesn't have to scrape the whole lining. He also said I have an ovarian cyst but I'm taking this one step at a time

• Options
    Good luck. I hope it goes smoothly.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"