Breastfeeding
Options

SAHM new to pumping...questions

I realize this may just end up being a personal preference sort of thing, but I just don't even know where to start.

LO is just over a month old and has been EBF. I am a SAHM, and she is still eating about every 3 hours. I reluctantly brought the pump out yesterday to give it a try. My goal is to have a small "stash" on hand so DH can feed her occasionally (maybe a couple times a week), we can bring a bottle out with us (not comfortable yet NIP, I'll get there eventually), or for when we eventually decide to have a date night and we can leave her with my MIL (I have a goal to see the new Hunger Games movie in theaters in November lol).

So, I guess I'm just looking for suggestions. How often should I pump and when? How much is a good amount to keep "stashed"? I guess I'm worried about pumping too much or too little and totally throwing off my supply which has been good so far.

Any suggestions are welcome :) Thank you!

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: SAHM new to pumping...questions

• Options
    now that your LO is 4 weeks, your supply should be pretty well established, so pumping won't create an oversupply.

when i was trying to build up a freezer stash, i found it easiest to have LO nurse one side while i pumped the other side in the AM.

be prepared that you're not going to get a lot of output while pumping since you're not missing any feedings. if you're pumping while your LO nurses the other side, you may only get an ounce. if you're pumping both sides, you still may only get 2 ounces or so. definitely freeze in small portions, no more than 1-2 ounces together.

how often you pump depends on how often you anticipate being away from your LO and needing to have someone give her a bottle. (also, remember that if you are out long enough to miss a feeding with your LO, you are probably going to have to pump while you are away).
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! It's nice to have suggestions as a starting off point :)

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like @AmyG*‌ said, freeze in increments of 1-2 oz. much easier to make a bottle with that then odd numbers. Trust me, I've had to throw away milk because I was freezing 1.5 oz or 3 oz and had too much.

Like pp said, it's best to pump when you miss a feeding but honestly, anytime we are out and I bring a bottle because it would be easier than NIP, like at church, I don't pump to replace that feeding. I used to stress about having to rush home to pump but I let it go and my supply has not been lowered by it. I will go a good four hours without bf if we give her a bottle and my supply is fine. But I would replace feelings with the pump at first and just take it from there. But I just wanted to share that mine wasn't effected by not pumping to replace a bottle during the day. I do however pump after her bedtime bottle and generally after her motn feeding since she only takes one side then and I can feel that my boobs are full. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"