Breastfeeding
Options

Preparing for a big baby

I am new to this forum and LO isn't due for 3 weeks, but I was hoping to get some early advice about tips for breastfeeding a big baby.

A bit of back ground.  I have one daughter who weighted 9lbs 11 oz at birth (she's 8 now) and this LO is on track to be just as big, if not bigger.  He measured 7.2lbs at a growth ultrasound at week 33.  No GD, my family just grows big babies.

So, onto the question.  How can I prepare myself for keeping LO full while I am waiting for my supply to come in?  Nursing DD was so frustrating and we had to supplement early on because she wasn't able to get enough from me.  I was in a constant state of nursing and pumping... and while pumping, I would maybe get an ounce combined from each breast.  I only saw a LC twice, but each time she said my DDs latch was good.  We only made it 6 weeks and I felt like such a failure.

I know each baby will be different, but I guess I want tips and tricks on how to prepare.  I also want to know how much push back I can give when the hospital asks me about supplementing.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Preparing for a big baby

• Options
    Agree with PPs.  My LO was a BIG baby.  The nurses asked how I was planning on feeding LO and I told them that I really wanted to give BF a fair shot, which meant no supplementing unless it was a medical need.  I definitely felt all I was doing in the beginning was BF.  As much as I wanted to have my H just give a bottle here and there to help out, BF on demand really helped my body establish the supply LO needed.  Keep in mind that it's ok if BF is tricky, frustrating, or difficult... the beginning was so difficult for us.  It will get better and better and then all of the sudden, it's totally awesome.  Best of luck!
  • Options
    kellyfo14kellyfo14 member
    edited October 2014
    @TXPyroMom‌ I was in your boat almost exactly. My first was 11.1 pounds at birth (no GD, just a big baby too) and we had to supplement almost right from the beginning at the hospital. She was just so hungry. She was down to 10.4 pounds when we left the hospital.

I HATED the smell of the pre digested formula. It was the smell of defeat for me. I nursed her till she was 8 months. I had gone back to work and I was pumping 3 times a day and getting enough for 1 or 2 feedings. It was terrible and I just didn't react well to the pump. This sounds like a sad story and it kind of was and made me very worried for when my second would be born.

He came 17 months after DD and was 9.8 pounds. He latched in the recovery room (I had a RCS) and my milk came in almost immediately. I did not pump at the hospital, just nursed a lot. He left weighing just about the same as when he was born. I started pumping after each feeding when I got home and never had an over supply. When he was weeks I had a killer freezer stash and had to go in for gallbladder surgery. It was enough to feed him for the two days. I pumped in the hospital to keep my supply up too. I was a SAHM starting with him so I didn't have the pressure of returning to work and pumping at every break.

This was a very long way of telling you that there is a very good chance that the second time around you may find that your body just knows what to do a little better and you may find your milk coming in faster. Also it worked for me to take the stress of pumping out of the equation at the hospital and just relax and nurse as much as possible. Hope everything goes smoothly for you and good luck!!!

ETA
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great replies ladies.  I think right now I just need encouragement that I can do this and just because I struggled with my first, it won't mean that I will have the same struggles this time around.  So much wonderful advice and encouragement from all of you.

Thanks for the book rec @casey78  I just ordered it on Amazon.

DH has been super supportive and I have told him that I plan on doing very little the first couple weeks LO arrives.  He has agreed to get us a temporary housekeeper so I can focus on myself and baby.  I am sure I will be active on this board as I try to navigate breastfeeding.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Just be aware that it is normal and ok for babies to loose weight the first few days, up to 10%. There is no cause for supplementing and you don't have to be worried baby is starving. Just nurse as much as you can from the beginning. Also- pumping output is not a good indicator of your supply, especially at first. It can take a while for our bodies to get used to a pump, and also babies are much more efficient than a pump.

If I were you I would just make sure that I nursed as much as possible as soon as possible and don't supplement unless dr tells you to because of excessive weight loss. Find a pediatrician that is supportive of breast feeding and understands how it works. Good luck. You can do this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    I had a 11lb 1.2oz baby girl and right after the c section I started pumping, my milk fully came in by day 3 and she had latch issues so I just continued to pump. I was able to pump 8oz every 3 hours for the first 2 months but pumping and feeding in the middle of the night became too much and I stopped I wished I hadn't.I tried to do the relacation but with my work schedule I was no able to pumping like I should. Good luck and hang in there. I would suggest nursing the baby and then pump for 10 mins after and just freeze the milk that way you will have a backup supply just in case .
  • Options
    I grow big babies too!  No GD, just big kids.  My DS (second baby) was 9lbs 12oz, 22 inches and was a CS.  (My first was a vaginal 8lb 5oz.)  Because I was in the hospital longer with the CS, they noticed he was jaundice and put him under the lights at the hospital.  He was discharged with me, and we used a biliblanket at home for  a few days.  My current LO was 9lbs 6oz 21 inches (born via RCS at 37w1d).  She also needed the biliblanket when she got home.  She lost a total of 12% body weight, a bit more than my son.  For both of them, I just pumped and supplemented with the pumped BM.  My milk came in around day 2-3  with my second and third child.  My son got back to birth weight at 2 weeks, and my current LO took 3 weeks.  My children are also spread apart, and I noticed a huge difference between how the weight loss with my son who was born in 2000 was handled, versus DD2 born 2013.  Hopefully you will also be pleasantly surprised when you have this new one!  In any event, I nursed both my 9lb+ babies for 18 months with no need for formula (my current LO will be 18 months in a week, and we are still going strong).  Just remember, the first 6 weeks are the hardest for every mother, regardless of circumstances.  If you can just hang on, the cloud will lift and things will get so much better.  GL! 

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"