August 2014 Moms

Going OFF acid reflux meds/Zantac?

Anyone with a reflux baby discuss with their doctor when or how to go about going off meds?

At the two month appointment I didn't discuss this with my doctor. She slightly upped the dose for weight and we decided to go from three doses to two. (It's hard enough to get her to take it.) 

Anyways, there have been a number of times she's seemingly spit out most of the medicine and I've forgotten a dose here or there. She's seemed just fine! She still doesn't like being flat on her back, tummy, or even in a cradle hold unless it's on a good incline and will usually spit up a lot of she is in these positions. We've also been doing Gerber Soothe Probiotic Drops since we started Zantac. I'm really not sure which has been helping more!

I'd love to have her med free but also don't want to go back to her being so uncomfortable if we start messing around.

Re: Going OFF acid reflux meds/Zantac?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DS seems to be doing better so after speaking with the pedi, we are dropping from two doses a day to one. We will try this for a month and reevaluate. If things continue to go well, we will probably try to go off the medication at that time. DD outgrew her reflux between 4 and 5 months so I'm hoping that if we have to continue the medication it will only be for a few more months. We also use the Gerber probiotic drops. These have seemed to really help so I wish I had known about these when DD was a baby.

• Loading the player...
  • Don't! I just did it this past weekend, on bad advice from my pedi who said only to give it as needed (then I learned from you all and the pharmacist that it takes a while to get in their system and take effect, so I've been giving full dosage 2x per day as instructed) and it was AWFUL! A got so sick. Asked it took like 3 days to get the meds back in her, and now we're struggling with constipation also as fall out from my dairy overload this weekend.

On all, I learned from the pedi on call that babies don't really outgrow reflux until between 6-12 months.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• DD1 was on hers until earlier this month. She's 2.5 years old. We tried stopping it several times before, but within a matter of days she started having symptoms again. The last time, when she was 2, she just started puking everywhere all the time. This time we've been off the meds for about two weeks with no symptoms, so I'm hopeful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"