October 2013 Moms

pouches

ballygirlballygirl member
edited October 2014 in October 2013 Moms
So, in the previous food thread, I saw a lot of you gave your babies fruit or veggie pouches.  I'm curious, do you just hand them the pouch and they eat it themselves, right from the pouch, or do you feed it to them like a puree?  I don't understand how these work.

image4months_2radioflyer
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: pouches

• These are pretty new to me too but apparently DD has had them at daycare because when she saw it, she instantly put it to her mouth.  I admit, I kind of cringe at her eating from the pouch, but it's what she does and it works. Anything on the spoon hasn't been a hit lately, so I just go with what works.  The first couple of times it got a little messy because she would fling her arms and squeeze the pouch, so be weary of that.  I monitor dd carefully when she eats these.  
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I used to only squeeze the food onto a spoon and feed her but since July or so, she has boycotted being fed so we went off purées.

She gets one of those maybe once every 3 days and I just give it to her and she sucks it out. I don't fee like fighting with her lol

imageimage    

• Loading the player...
  • I'm kind of grossed out by the thought of sucking it out of the pouch for some reason, but I would love it if they could get the hang of it.  It would be nice and easy in a pinch.  They don't seem to get it though.

image4months_2radioflyer

• sleepy33 said:
    I used to squeeze it into a bowl and feed it to him with a spoon, but then SIL gave him one when we were visiting and he sucked it down like a juice box in about 30 seconds. Now, I primarily use them for a quick, healthy-ish snack while we are out and about, so I just let him eat it directly from the pouch. He eats maybe 3-4 a week? I think it's kind of weird that people are so up in arms about pouches. They are pureed fruit and veg. What is the big deal?
    I hate that I can't see what's in it.  I don't know why.  It's not like I ever sifted through her purees.

• sleepy33 said:
    I used to squeeze it into a bowl and feed it to him with a spoon, but then SIL gave him one when we were visiting and he sucked it down like a juice box in about 30 seconds. Now, I primarily use them for a quick, healthy-ish snack while we are out and about, so I just let him eat it directly from the pouch. He eats maybe 3-4 a week? I think it's kind of weird that people are so up in arms about pouches. They are pureed fruit and veg. What is the big deal?
    I hate that I can't see what's in it.  I don't know why.  It's not like I ever sifted through her purees.
    there have been instances of mold in them..and since you can't see it, baby gets it. usually baby spits it out right away...i think...or at least the ones that they've found i suppose.

• deedee1017deedee1017 member
    edited October 2014
    jennlin said:
    sleepy33 said:
    there have been instances of mold in them..and since you can't see it, baby gets it. usually baby spits it out right away...i think...or at least the ones that they've found i suppose.
    Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jennlin!!! I was trying to pretend I hadn't heard that before!  I almost convinced myself I made it up!   :-&

not the ones my baby eats, right?  RIGHT?!

• jennlin said:
    sleepy33 said:
    Ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jennlin!!! I was trying to pretend I hadn't heard that before!  I almost convinced myself I made it up!   :-&

not the ones my baby eats, right?  RIGHT?!
    deft not the ones your baby eats. of course not.

• I teach a nutrition course and we just talked about pouches today. A student said she tried out one over the weekend and her son tried one "bite" and started pushing it away. She tried again but he kept doing it. She decided to try it herself and ended up spitting it out and finding maggots in it!
  • melimo said:
    I teach a nutrition course and we just talked about pouches today. A student said she tried out one over the weekend and her son tried one "bite" and started pushing it away. She tried again but he kept doing it. She decided to try it herself and ended up spitting it out and finding maggots in it!
    Do you believe her?

• melimo said:
    I teach a nutrition course and we just talked about pouches today. A student said she tried out one over the weekend and her son tried one "bite" and started pushing it away. She tried again but he kept doing it. She decided to try it herself and ended up spitting it out and finding maggots in it!
    what brand?

• DS1 used to love them.  Then he got sick off one that had spoiled long before the expiration date due to temp fluctuations in the house.  He will now only eat certain applesauce ones.  I have tried giving DS2 the applesauce ones and he wore more than he ate.  I try every once in a while to see if DS2 will get the hang of it.  They are easy, quick, relatively healthy snacks.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I do the @sleepy33 method when it comes to pouches.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Yeah...no fear mongering up in here please!

DD likes the pouches, also on a no spoon kick. I use them when I think her diet needs a little balance or she can't mash what we are having for dinner. And out and about. She gets maybe 2 a week now.

I love that they have veg puréed with the fruit and it still tastes good to her. Vitamins!
  • yeah, I'm not buying the maggots story either.  I'm not worried too much about contaminants or  choking, my girls just don't seem to understand the concept of squeezing the pouch.  They just bite on the top of it and then throw it aside. 

I don't know why I am kind of grossed out by them.  I think it has to do with drinking thick liquids.  I don't like smoothies either, or drinks like V8. 

image4months_2radioflyer

• jennlin said:

sleepy33 said:

This is why we haven't tried them. There have been a few containers from Gerber of purees we opened and I didn't like the look of them so we threw it out. I can actually see those though. The pouch I can't but if they want to make a see through one I would go for that!
  • LO eats them on his own now. It took maybe two pouches for him to get the hang of it. I also still have to push up the contents from the very bottom because he can't do that yet. I always take a "sip" first to see if it's good. I buy Earth's Best and Plum mostly.
  • I thought maggots were only in meat but I told her to call the consumer number on the pouch and report it. If it's true someone needs to know about it.
  • I also mentioned the local health dept might have interest
  • We do pouches a lot especially when I have LO at work with me. It's much neater to feed her lunch and I don't need to worry about food everywhere while I'm wearing her and helping customers. If she doesn't like what I make her for lunch or dinner I'll give her one at home to supplement. I do often taste them before I hand them to her.
  • I make my own and they are in a clear pouch that I stick in the freezer. She sucks straight from the pouch most of the time. She is such a picky eater, but she sucks those down so I don't stress too much about them. I figure it's basically the same as sucking a smoothie through a straw. I actually freeze green smoothies in a pouch too for the mornings we are really low on time. She devours them! Usually I hold it for her, but last night she was sucking and holding so perfectly, I just let her go at it! No messes! They also sell tops for the pouches that make it better for sucking straight out of it. I've thought about getting one.
    What do you put your make-your-own pouches in?

• He has had them straight from the pouch since about 5 months, and usually has 2 a day with his meals.  I make my own so I have no fears of mold, but I've given him store bought ones too and have just tasted it before handing it to him to eat.
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• I make my own and they are in a clear pouch that I stick in the freezer. She sucks straight from the pouch most of the time. She is such a picky eater, but she sucks those down so I don't stress too much about them. I figure it's basically the same as sucking a smoothie through a straw. I actually freeze green smoothies in a pouch too for the mornings we are really low on time. She devours them! Usually I hold it for her, but last night she was sucking and holding so perfectly, I just let her go at it! No messes! They also sell tops for the pouches that make it better for sucking straight out of it. I've thought about getting one.
    These are the pouches we use! It's infantino. They have a little pouch station that has like a plunger to get the food in.image
    I love it! I just found it on target's site. thank you!!

• Straight from the pouch here too. I just use them as snacks or sometimes meals when we're out of the house. I wasn't going to do purees at all...but it's so convenient and I like that he can still feed himself. He probably has 3 or so a week. I'm really not concerned about them being contaminated...although I do usually taste them first... guys some of the veggie ones are just gross! He definitely prefers the fruit ones. 
  • I tend to squeeze the fruit out of the pouch into a bowl and mix with other cut up fruit.
    These are the pouches we use! It's infantino. They have a little pouch station that has like a plunger to get the food in.image

Someone gave me this they didn't use but not the plunger part. I have it in my amazon cart but it's one of those add on items so I have to buy other stuff to get it shipped free or find it in store. Otherwise I'd be making them.

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"