July 2014 Moms
Options

Clogged tear ducts

Cvazquez8Cvazquez8 member
edited October 2014 in July 2014 Moms
my little one has had clogged tears ducts since she turned 3 weeks old she will soon be 3 months. Her ped keeps telling me to massage and it will go away but hasn't . Had anyone's lo had it this long?

Re: Clogged tear ducts

• Options
    My little guy had both ducts clogged. One eye has cleared up completely (after about two months), but the other eye is still clogged.

On another note, I've had two different pediatricians tell me to put breastmilk in his eye 2x a day. If you BF, maybe you could try that as well. It sounded odd to me at first, but it actually clears up the gook better than a wet washcloth and it seems to help the irritation.
  • Options
    Mine has one or the other eye clogged continuously for about the first 6-8 weeks. I have no clue what made it finally go away :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yup, 4 months and both are still clogged.  The right eye is super crusty/goopy 24-7 while the left eye is just watery.  Stinks!  I went to the eye doc but the doc wouldn't see me without doing a complete eye exam where they dilate his eyes and all that and the nurse said they never do the probe before 12 months unless there are serious infections happening, so I hightailed it out of there!  Also, they wanted $250 for that appointment!

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    lowen83lowen83 member
    edited October 2014
    DS 1 had clogged ducts and after a few months of it doc gave us eye drops and it cleared right up with no other issues

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Yes, I BF and have tried it and it hasn't worked :(.
  • Options
    lowen83 said:
    DS 1 had clogged ducts and after a few months of it doc gave us eye drops and it cleared right up with no other issues
    Whoa!  What kind of drops?!

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• Options
    It is annoying I just feel bad for my baby girl. She must be annoyed as well. I'm going to ask for eye drops hopefully that works
  • Options
    We got goopy eyes over here too. I pick the yellow crusties out from the corners of his eyes at least 3 times a day. Poor kid. He's getting used to it now and it is getting better. 

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• Options
    DD had one at 2 weeks, but its been totally cleared up for about three weeks now. Like PP said, massage, warm compress, and time. There can be severe cases where the baby is born w/o a tear duct and that's usually when surgery is needed to correct the problem. My pedi said antibiotics are a last resort and should really only be used if an infection is present. Time is really the best cure for a simple blocked duct.
  • Options
    Mines had it in both eyes from one week. One eye went away at 7 weeks the other around 3 months. I didn't do anything but keep it clean. Occasionally massage and breast milk in eye. My pedi said give it 6 months.
    Lenox: Born March 13, 2012
    Number 2:  EDD July 4, 2014

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We had goopy eyes the first few weeks.. Pedi gave us a prescription for erythromicin (sp?), it was an ointment I had to put on the lower rim of her eyelid about 3x a day. It was a nightmare trying to put it in but it did clear it up.
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • Options
    Crusty eyes here too!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board