April 2014 Moms

Flu shot for LO?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already.. But are you/did have LO get a flu shot? Do they recommend it during the 6 month appt or are they too young? And if you chose no, what is your reason for not having LO get it?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Flu shot for LO?

• At my pediatrician, I think it's a smaller dose given in 2 shots over time. We go on Wednesday so I'll know for sure then. We are getting it and my 2 older kids are getting the mist that day too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our flu shot clinic is November 7th. Both kids get the nasal mist. First flu vaccine is given in 2 doses.
  • We couldn't get it.  All of our clinics are out and there is a nationwide shortage.
  • The girls both got theirs
  • It's not a smaller dose. The first time you get a flu shot, regardless of age, you need two doses, one to kind of prime things and the second to induce immunity.

We're getting shot 1 on the 27 and then I'll have to figure out when to go back for shot two.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Whoa, talk to me more about this two-shot thing!  LO got his flu shot on the 12th but no one said anything about having to come back for another... 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Got part one today at his 6th month appointment - going back in a month like most everyone else. @hlm184 - I'd call and ask your pedi - maybe they just forgot to let you know!

TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• We won't be unfortunately. The Flu vaccine has egg in it and lo may be allergic. Would rather find out by letting him eat egg! My husband and I both will be getting it though.
  • When we went for LO's 6 month appt. they wouldn't give him his vaccines and the flu shot together. We are going back early november for part 1.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• CalinAZ said:
    Got part one today at his 6th month appointment - going back in a month like most everyone else. @hlm184 - I'd call and ask your pedi - maybe they just forgot to let you know!

Probably, my pedi is a moron.
  • Liam is getting his first dose next week. He didn't get it at his 6 mo appt last week because he is participating in a flu vaccine study at our pediatrician's office which requires a separate visit.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We're going in on Friday for both kids - DS1 will get the mist, DS2 will get his first shot.

• He has 6 month appt next Tuesday. If allowed, he will be getting it.

• I already got mine last month. DS got his at his 6-month appointment, but I need to call because they didn't mention to me that he needed a second dose?! The docs and nurses are great, but checkout that day was a shitshow so I think they forgot to schedule the second shot. Ugh. Good think I have you ladies!

BFP #1 11/19/12  EDD: 7/25/13  Natural MC on 12/31/12 at 10w4d

BFP#2 3/1/13   EDD: 11/5/13   Missed MC 4/9/13 at 10w   D&C 4/11/13  
    Baby #2 diagnosed with Trisomy 16. Diagnosed Hetero MTHFR.

BFP#3 8/5/13   EDD: 4/13/14   Team Green Turned Team Blue! Our rainbow baby, Griffin R arrived via c-section (breech since 20w) on 4/11/14. 

.image            

~~Everyone Always Welcome~~

• smushi said:
    We couldn't get it.  All of our clinics are out and there is a nationwide shortage.
    This. I have to call back in 2 weeks to schedule her first dose.
  • DD got her first mini shot at her 6 month check up and goes back next month for the second. DH, DS and I all got ours as well. 
  • We're not.  DH and I don't get the shot and we've decided that LO will not get it either.  Our reason is that it doesn't cover the flu in general.  It only covers the strain that has been chosen most likely to occur that year.  I'm sure we'll get a lot of flack for our decision but we're comfortable with our choice.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @LalaMama81 I have had the flu.  It was the one year I worked in a public daycare and had to get the flu shot.  If I get it again it'll be tough but I'm sure it won't be impossible.
    @MissWhis It may be silly but like I said, we're comfortable with our choice.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dh and I will get the shot as well as our nanny... but since he's not in daycare, I wasn't going to have ds get it.

But now I'm rethinking since he obviously isn't a hermit and won't just be in the house all season long.
  • In getting mine at work tomorrow. I work with preschoolers and frankly, I think I'd be an idiot not to. Both kids have gotten theirs already- LO will go back for part 2 in a couple weeks.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• I've never had a flu shot and neither did my 3 brothers. We never had the flu (knock on wood). The obgyn pushed for me to get it when I was pregnant but I declined as I didn't think I should be pregnant the first year having the shot. With that being said Chase will have the flu shot this year because I can't imagine him sick for days it would break my heart but I will not get the shot. Hopefully my lucky streak continues.
  • I work with children so I'll be getting the flu shot. I am good at hand washing, sanitizing, etc...but I've seen too many fingers in noses to not be paranoid!

• I'm with Rachel, i'd rather take the extra protection. Both kids and my husband I are vaccinated. 
  • DH got his at work a few weeks ago (required for all hospital employees) and DS 1 & 2 got their first of the two shots at DS1's 2yr check on Monday.  We'll go back for their second shots in Nov when I take DS2 for his 9 month check.   I've never gotten the shot, not because I'm against it, but just because I never have. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• DS and I both got ours at his 6 month appointment yesterday. Going back in a month for part 2.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • DS got his one week ago today. We had fever (which is typical for him with shots) and projectile vomiting. We went back to the pedi on Friday and he's convinced it's from the flu shot, not the other vaccinations he received. We alternated Tylenol and Advil and his temp was still 102.2. He had diarrhea, then was backed up. His fever broke on Sunday, but he's still fighting through the remnants this week. We finally got a poop tonight (!!!!) but we're by no means done with this. Could he have picked up a virus? Possibly. From where, I'm not certain other than the possibility of the dr's office. Could it be the shots? Possibly. All I know is that my baby has been down and out for a week and I'm ready for him to be himself sgain!
  • @mom2boxers Yes, he did get the Rotateq vaccine. This is the third time he's gotten that one. (8wks, 4 mo, 6 mo) And he actually only had one dose where the other two times he had two doses. There was no reaction the other times. Maybe this was just the combination of vaccines? Who knows. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • .... Or maybe your LO just caught a virus, unrelated to any of the vaccinations. There's really no way to know, unfortunately.
    I hope your LO gets to feeling better soon!

Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• So a coworker of mine took her 9 month old to a flu shot clinic and he was accidentally given te flumist instead of the shot. She trusted the nurses knew what they were doing.... But nope. He had to get a flu shot at the same time in hopes it would counteract the live virus from the mist. The dr warned that he could absolutely develop the flu from receiving the mist so young. He did end up spiking a pretty high fever but hasn't had the flu yet.
    My coworker wasn't nearly as pissed as I would have been.

• @Teresa1896‌ that poor baby. :( I would be livid!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• We all get the flu shot. I never did until 2 yrs ago when DH, my then- 10 mo old DD, and I all got the flu the wk after Xmas. It was HORRIBLE and so difficult to take care of the baby. It ruined our break (both teachers) and was super scary bc DD was so little and possibly asthmatic.

• My son was fussy for 4 days after getting his flu shot.  We had to give regular doses of Tylenol and lose sleep.  I'm hesitant to do the second one because he was so miserable.  
  • @Megczapla‌ Any chance your LO could be allergic to eggs?
  • My son is going in for 6 month check up in nov. Want him to get flu shot if possible . Still gotta get mine, too.
  • At our 6mo well check today we discussed the flu shot. Our pediatrician told us the mist is not ok until he's two, and we could get the shot if we wanted, but she wouldn't judge us if we didn't. Since we were lukewarm on it, she suggested we pay attention to the cdc website to see if they picked the right strains this time around, and if they did to absolutely pursue getting the flu shot for him. I thought that was a pretty reasonable answer.
  • They have a broad spectrum one that covers 4 strains this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"